SCALE - Mercury Atlas Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mercury Atlas....one cool looking scale rocket. I didn't realize that Boyce Aerospace had one. It was hard to find the Estes version. I always wanted one to go with my Redstone. The clear fins are a nice touch. How did she fly?

The tower has been knocked off and repaired two or three times and it hasn't even maidened yet.
Heh.
I need to order a new one for my Redstone. It was an early casualty even with nominal flights.
Makes sense, in reality there was no intent to have it in place during landing.

I need to order a new one for my Redstone. It was an early casualty even with nominal flights.
I'm just finishing an Estes Redstone kit, and am thinking about attaching the 'chute to the top of the capsule (just below the tower) by running some braided fishing line (available in black) down a notch in the side of the capsule. I just can't imagine that landing "tower down" works out well.

I'm also considering switching from single 'chute to separate recovery for capsule and rocket like the old days (just to make life a little more difficult).

I'm just finishing an Estes Redstone kit, and am thinking about attaching the 'chute to the top of the capsule (just below the tower) by running some braided fishing line (available in black) down a notch in the side of the capsule. I just can't imagine that landing "tower down" works out well.

I'm also considering switching from single 'chute to separate recovery for capsule and rocket like the old days (just to make life a little more difficult).

I do horizontal recovery of the capsule with my Estes LJ-I. 14" chute for a feather-gentle recovery. I use white shroud line but aligned with the launch lugs. Good 'nuf for me. Three flights so far and no damage. Of course I don't fly it very high!

Back