SCALE - Little Joe II Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Most of mine are/were scratchbuilts.

First two photos, my 1/39.5 scale model at NARAM-34 (built in 1990). Photos by Tom Beach. Flies on E15-4. Won Sport Scale a few times, and Super Scale at N-34. This is a model of flight A-004

Third photo, 1/100 model of flight A-002, made in 1991. Flew originally on Apogee B7-4, now A3-4T power. The background for this photo are from the two-part data series that Tom Beach and I did for American Spacemodeling magazine in 1992 (This was the name of the NAR’s magazine before it changed to Sport Rocketry).

Fourth photo is a launch shot of a 1/22 model, 7” diameter, almost 4 feet tall. It was a boilerplate made mostly out of poster paper. Powered by a G25 and six C6 motors (This was a prototype for mission A-001 which used one big Algol in the center and six recruit motors). Photo by Vince Huegele.

I later built a “real” model based on its success. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of the good model. The good model crashed on its 3rd flight, when the G25 did not light but the six C6’s took it up 100 feet. The model was built mostly out of .020” styrene plastic, which made for a very light structure. The model weight was 1.75 pounds, including 4 ounces of noseweight inside the Escape Rocket motor tube.

Fifth photo is a shot of a Micro-Maxx Little Joe-II, plus the 1/100 model, and what is left of the 1/22 model.

Here is a link for more info and photos of my models, as well as LOTS of data, on my website:

https://homepage.mac.com/georgegassaway/GRP/Scale/DATA/George.htm

- George Gassaway

N34-JoePad2-crop.jpg

N34_Launch.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more photos....

First is the 1/39.5 model when I flew it was the 1992 World SpaceModeling Championships, which was held in Melbourne, Florida. That is G. Harry Stine in the background.

Second shows how the towers were built. I made up a jig to align the key parts of the styrene tubing/rod while gluing them together with liquid cement.

Third photo shows how the tower & Escape Rocket were aligned for assembly.

Fourth photo shows a 1/45 Centuri model, with myself on the left and Wayne Hendricks on the right. I have had that model since 1974. I later modified it to have 7 motor mounts, but I think the most motors I have flown it on were three, as seen in this shot. I also used it as a boilerplate for a more advanced Little Joe-II scale mode, to test out “abort staging”. I modified the Apollo boost Protective cover and Escape system to “stage” (or simulate an abort), by firing an A3 motor in the base, to fire it away from the Service Module. It worked, and I later tried the Abort Staging on a more advanced boilerplate at 1/39.5, but never did make a real model to do that.

Fifth photo - One of the two remaining Little Joe-II’s, and a group of people ignoring the sign that Mark Bundick is pointing at. I am at the far right end of the photo. Rick Gaff photo, taken at NARAM-21 in Houston in 1979.

- George Gassaway

WSMC-1992-G_Harry-m.jpg

IMG_3747.JPG

JoeAssembly4.jpg

CenturiJoe-Wayne.jpg

RGaff-N21-Joe-1.jpg

Here are my LJ's. The small I is a cardstock conversion The bigger I is a 2.5"dia. 29mm model using a hardwood capsule that was a donation to an EMRR contest.

The II is the Semroc kit, trimmed as a mix of the kit specs and three rounds depicted in ROTW. No scale points here.

Attachments

• scratch_littlejoe1_03.jpg
    scratch_littlejoe1_03.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 75
  • little joe ii done 001 (3) (Large).jpg
    little joe ii done 001 (3) (Large).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 73
Here's mine!

The Dr. Zooch Mercury Little Joe was covered on a build thread here on TRF.
It had it's first flight last month on a Quest B6-4.

The Semroc Apollo Little Joe II was built on my blog at:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Little Joes for TRF Galleries 001.jpg
    Little Joes for TRF Galleries 001.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Little Joes for TRF Galleries 002.jpg
    Little Joes for TRF Galleries 002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Little Joes for TRF Galleries 005.jpg
    Little Joes for TRF Galleries 005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Little Joes for TRF Galleries 006.jpg
    Little Joes for TRF Galleries 006.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 63
Here's my 1973 vintage Centuri 1/100 scale Little Joe II (KS-9).

Last flown at NARAM-51 on a 1/2A6-2. I was lucky the wind did not take it away.

Centuri Little Joe II.jpg

I have a couple also:
Scratch build Little Joe-I, Estes mini-Little Joe-II, a Semroc Little Joe-II, a RFT Micro Little Joe-II and a Sandman Micro cardstock wrap Little Joe-II from a couple years back.

042-sm_Mercury Little Joe I 35th Scale_02-01-90.jpg

082-sm_Little Joe II 100th scale_10-12-90.jpg

284a-sm_Little Joe II (Quest RTF)_08-11-03.jpg

331a-sm_MM Sandman Little Joe-II_05-20-07.jpg

466a-sm_Little Joe-II (70th Scale)_03-22-07.jpg

How could I have forgotten my LJII?

As you can tell, I spent untold hours in detailing this little gem. I spent even more time looking for it in the grass.

mj-f1a.jpg

mj-f1b.jpg

mj-f1c.jpg

mj-f1d.jpg

mj-f1f.jpg

After finishing the Soyuz, I decided to tackle one of Ton's less complicated models, the Little Joe II. The only really tricky part of this build was the escape tower. I ended up using 1/16" basswood squares glued inside the corners of the tower to give it some strength. Altogether, I'm quite pleased with the way this bird turned out. It might be a while before I can fly her, though. I've got some serious drifts between me and my launching spot.

View attachment 40537 View attachment 40538 View attachment 40539

Copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Little Joe II.jpeg
    Little Joe II.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Little Joe II business end.JPG
    Little Joe II business end.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Little Joe II detail.JPG
    Little Joe II detail.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 68
Well it took awhile, but I finally completed my Estes 1/100th scale Apollo Little Joe II. Since I botched the paint on the original booster, I ended up scratch building the wraps and tunnel covers rather than trying to obtain another kit. I also opted for Excelsior's far superior decal set, so I can't really say it's a stock build. I was fairly happy with the final result considering all the trials and mishaps I had along the way.

Little%2BJoe%2BII%2B-%2BCompleted%2B5.JPG
Little%2BJoe%2BII%2B-%2BBooster%2BCloseUp.JPG
Little%2BJoe%2BII%2B-%2BCompleted%2B3.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Welcome to the SCALE - Little Joe II Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Little Joe II and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Little Joe II (1/45): KS-8 or #5138
Centuri: Little Joe II (1/100): KS-9 or #5139
Cox: Apollo Little Joe II: #5100
Ests: Little Joe II: K-30 or #1230
Estes: Little Joe II (1/100): #0892
Quest: Little Joe II (MMX): #5611
Semroc: Little Joe II: KS-3

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Little Joe II was an American space launch vehicle used for five unmanned tests of the launch escape system (LES) and to verify the performance of the command module parachutes for the Apollo spacecraft from 1963–66. Launched from White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, it was the smallest of four boosters used in the Apollo program.

Last edited:
Semroc Little Joe II (KS-3) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

Little Joe II

KS-3

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 14.6" (37.1 cm)
Diameter: 2.217" (5.6 cm)
Span: 4.9" (12.4 cm)
Weight: 1.5 oz (42.6 g)

Mfg. Description: 1968 Retro Repro (Semroc 2011 Web Ad)

semroc-little%20joe%20II-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

semroc-little%20joe%20II-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Quest Little Joe II (MMX) (#5611) Basic Information.

quest.gif
Quest Aerospace

Little Joe II

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, RTF
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

quest-little%20joe%20II%20MMX-2008%20web%20livery.jpg
Quest 2008 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Centuri Little Joe II (1/45) (KS-8 or #5138) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Little Joe II (1/45), Apollo Little Joe 2 (1/45)

KS-8 or #5138

Introduced: 1968
Final Year: 1977
Designer:

Type: Scale. Cluster
Motor Mount: 3x18mm
Length: 23.4"
Diameter: 3.4"
Span:
Weight: 5.5 oz

Mfg. Description: A terrific looking, top performing Real Flying Model of the famous rocket booster used by NASA to test out the APOLLO Capsule series before mating with the SATURN rockets. Now you can recreate those historic test flights with your own APOLLO Little Joe. Almost 2 feet tall, the LITTLE JOE model is strikingly impressive with its chrome plated corrugated body and pre-printed roll patterns. Powered by a 3 engine cluster, LITTLE JOE streaks hundreds of feet skyward, reaches maximum altitude, then separates into two parts -- each part returning on its own large 24" red and white parachute. Launch it over and over. Comes in easy-to-assemble kit form with complete instructions - plus Scale Data Booklet. (Centuri 1968 Catalog)

=====

1969 Catalog text identical to 1968 Catalog

=====

Little Joe II, a booster developed by NASA to test Apollo capsules before Saturn, makes up two members of the Centuri Super Scale family. Available in two scale sizes, 1/45 and 1/100, new construction techniques in metal foil and plastic yield models of unmatched detail accuracy as well as super flight characteristics. Both "Baby Joe" and its larger 1/45 version are contest winners. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

LITTLE JOE is an exactly detailed replica of one of the last vehicles to be flown, NASA #CSM-02. Nothing has been spared to make this kit one of the most exacting scale models yet produced. The chrome mylar corrugated skin and plasticized roll pattern wrapper of the body will stand up under repeated handling for an indefinite period. The precisely scaled APOLLO capsule and tower is made from ultra high impact plastic. Fins are pre-shaped of good quality balsa. Fairings are formed of lightweight vacu-form plastic. All details including dummy scale nozzle unit are provided in the kit. Assembly is challenging and rewarding. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks8-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1968 Catalog
centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks8-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks8-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog
centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks8-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog
centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks8-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks8-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1975 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Centuri Little Joe II (1/100) (KS-9 or #5139) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Little Joe II, Little Joe

KS-9 or #5139

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1975
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 10.5"
Diameter: 1.58"
Span:
Weight: 1.1 oz

Mfg. Description: A real high flyer!! This sharp "bird" looks just like its big brother. Kit includes corrugated metalized skin, pre-printed roll patterns, pre-shaped fins and molded plastic capsule with tower. The 1/100th Scale Little Joe streaks hundreds of feet upward, then returns safely by colorful chute. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

Little Joe II, a booster developed by NASA to test Apollo capsules before Saturn, makes up two members of the Centuri Super Scale family. Available in two scale sizes, 1/45 and 1/100, new construction techniques in metal foil and plastic yield models of unmatched detail accuracy as well as super flight characteristics. Both "Baby Joe" and its larger 1/45 version are contest winners. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

A real high flyer! This sharp little kit is an exact scale replica of NASA #BP-13. Kit includes pre-shaped fin material, corrugated aluminum and pre-printed roll pattern wrappers, fin covering material, molded plastic APOLLO capsule and tower and accurate decals. This kit can be assembled into a beautiful model in a couple of hours with NO PAINTING REQUIRED. The LITTLE JOE flies as good as it looks. Try it! (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks9-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks9-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog
centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks9-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-little%20joe%20ii%20ks9-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Estes Little Joe II (1/100) (#0892) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Little Joe II (1/100)

Introduced: 1991
Final Year: 1992
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 10.5"
Diameter: 1.54"
Span:
Weight: 1.02 oz

Mfg. Description: 1/100th scale model of launch vehicle used to test the Apollo capsule escape system. After successful testing of the escape system, the Apollo capsules and escape rocket were used in the manned flights of the Saturn space program. Our model flies to heights of 425 feet. (Estes 1991 Catalog)

estes-little%20joe%20ii%20892-1991%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1991 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Cox Apollo Little Joe II (#5100) Basic Information.

cox%20trf.gif
Cox

MODEL NAME: Apollo Little Joe II Also known as:

NUMBER: #5100

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Length: 8.5"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: A single stage 1/125 scale model of the launch vehicle used to thoroughly test the abort system for the Apollo Capsule. (Cox 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

cox-apollo%20little%20joe%20ii%205100-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1970 Catalog
cox-apollo%20little%20joe%20ii%205100-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1972 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Ready to rock.

I must say I'm impressed, this ugly little cuss turned out pretty good, I'm really currious as to it's performance. Very sout, very sturdy design.

I went ahead and went with the capsule plug insted of my original plan, this way is deffinantly much better. Thanks again for the link to the previous build thread. No balsa in this one.

Post copied to gallery with permission

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

Estes Little Joe II (K-30 or #1230) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Little Joe II Also known as:

NUMBER: K-30 or #1230

Introduced: 1968
Final Year: 1972
Designer: Bill See

Length: 14.5"
Diameter: 2.217"
Span: 4.9"
Weight: 2 oz

Mfg. Description: The solid propellant rocket used for testing unmanned Apollo spacecraft under actual flying conditions.

As the first test vehicle for the Apollo mission, the contribution of Little Joe II is significant in the NASA program aimed at landing American astronauts on the moon.

This model will rank high in space history. Great for display and for flying. It is designed for great lift-off capability and stable trajectory. The command module, with launch escape structure, has its own 12" recovery chute; the booster module is returned safely by a big 24" parachute. Though detailing on the model is intricate, the Little Joe II is easy to build after you've gained experience with less complex models. Kit contains all parts and complete instructions. Engines not included. (Estes 1968 Catalog)

=====

1969 Catalog text identical to 1968 Catalog

=====

Great for display and for flying. This 1 to 70 scale model is designed for great lift-off capability and trajectory. The command module, with launch escape structure, has its own 12" recovery 'chute; the booster module is returned safely by a big 24" parachute. Though detailing on the model is intricate, the Little Joe II is easy to build after you've gained experience with less complex models. Engines not included. (Estes 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-little%20joe%20ii%20k30-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog
estes-little%20joe%20ii%20k30-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
estes-little%20joe%20ii%20k30-1970%20cat.jpg
1970 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-little%20joe%20ii%20k30-face%201.jpg
estes-little%20joe%20ii%20k30-face%202.jpg
estes-little%20joe%20ii%20k30-face%203.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-little%20joe%20ii%20k30-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Back