Quantcast

SCALE DATA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rocketgroupmike

Reaction score
Recently, I decided to post a request for historical photo's of Nike Smoke. I put it in the Scratch Built section, but thought that a SCALE section would make sense. I figured I'd raise the question to the moderators, hence this thread. Is scale data a topic that gets enough discussion to warrant its own section?

Thanks, Mike

sandman

Reaction score
I think scale data gets asked enough for its own section!

powderburner

Reaction score
Mike,

Since you're sort of a "new" guy around here, I'm guessing you probably didn't see this discussion back on TRF1.

Yes, lots of people are interested in scale data (including ME). No, the moderators are not thrilled with splitting off another forum section unless there is a huge demand. So, until we demonstrate the afore-mentioned huge demand, we are supposed to include the marker

=scale=

somewhere in the title or the first few lines. That makes it a bit easier for members to do searches. So for now, I think that is what they want us to do.

I look forward to the day when we have enough traffic (on the subject of scale modeling) to warrant a separate section.

Daedalus

Reaction score
I would love to see a separate section for scale data. It would become a very valuable resource and make the data very easy to find. I think it would need to be policed to ensure things like upscaling of kits was moved and the area was kept to true scale data of real and proposed rockets, perhaps with fantasy scale from TV and films etc allowed.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
We need to have a slight rearranging of the forum sections sometime. I'm not making any promises, but I'll make sure we discuss adding a Scale Data section.

Phil

Fred22

Reaction score
For now i have a thread on scale data in the plans section. Feel free to contribute. As a temporary expediant I stickied it so people can keep contibuting and see it easily :)
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=809
As Phil said we will discuss how to work scale a little further. I am a huge scale fan:p
Cheers
fred

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Jim Ball's Scale Data Library is still available as well.

This is a great resource that Jim started many years ago.

-Kevin

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While I would also like to see a dedicated section to Scale Data.
I'd also like to point out that most of the really good Scale data is also locked in books and obscure documents hidden away in used book shops and libraries around the world. A lot of the old drawings are far to big for most to scan in a single sheet and some of the really sticky wicket details require either a visit to an existing example or reading the fine print in tech manuals associated with the projects. Fun sometime to go sluthing but a real pain others;)
As one of those Older Scale modelers I've collected a 4 drawer file cabinet full plus the little bit I have on hard discs over the years. To try to Collect all this "Stuff" might create a bit of a storage problem?

I know there are a bunch of us "Scale nuts" that frequent TRF as well as many of the SCALE modeling forums and yahoo boards. Most are more then willing to share our finds if ask. I know if I have something and I have a way of sharing it, I'm more than willing.

I Think Freds Idea of a Sticky "Scale Data" thread in the Plans section probly makes the most sense for now.

Chrisn

Reaction score
We need to have a slight rearranging of the forum sections sometime. I'm not making any promises, but I'll make sure we discuss adding a Scale Data section.

Phil
Plans/Scale data ?

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Plans/Scale data ?
The Scale Data sticky thread in the Plans section seems to be working pretty well at the moment, so that's probably what will happen.

Latest posts