Scale Data for the Nike-Nike Smoke

Discussion in 'Scale' started by PeterAlway, Jul 14, 2016.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

Many years ago, in the early 1990's, when I was first working on my "Rockets of the World" project, I stumbled into some references to the Nike-Nike Smoke. Then back in 2003, someone emailed me a single photo of a Nike-Nike with a smoke payload. Tantalizing, but not scale data. Last year, someone told me about more photos that they found. Great shots, but no dimensions. Then over the winter, I found an Air Force Geophysics Laboratory report on those rockets, with payload dimensions. I was about to draw up some data when my vintage iMac's power supply died. Finally, last month, I manage to do a brain transplant and get the machine up and running again. So now I actually can present to you a drawing of the elusive Nike-Nike Smoke.

[​IMG]

Here is a photograph to match.

[​IMG]

Unlike the familiar Nike Smoke, the smoke chemicals are forced out by presurized nitrogen in the conical nose. I believe this is because the air was too thin at altitude for ram air pressure to work. This means there is a nice pointy nosecone. The blue cylindrical section held tanks for both Titanium Tetrachloride and an alcohol/water mix. I believe they needed the water/acohol because there wasn't enough moisture at altitude to react with the TiCl4.

Also notice that each stage has 3 fins of a different design from the Nike Smoke we know and love. These are essentially clipped Nike Ajax fins.

This rocket flew in May of 1978 from Wallops Island. There were two flights a couple of days apart, and I have photos of both, but I don't know which is which. They look the same except for the stenciling.

I have to thank Dr. Bob Kreutz for the new photos and for decyphering the stencils from those photos.

I hope someone has fun with this!

Peter Alway

SMR likes this.
  2. Jul 15, 2016 #2

jbuscaglia

jbuscaglia

jbuscaglia

Rusty-eyed Missile Man

Thanks, Peter. That's a cool looking rocket.

It looks like you've got "STA 279.0" listed three times on the drawing. I assume two of them should be something else.

3. Jul 15, 2016 #3

EXPjawa

EXPjawa

EXPjawa

Thanks for posting that. Without any solid info to work from, I'd previously assumed that it had been something as straightfoward as basically two Nike Smokes joined together; I'll now have to rework my Rocksim file...

4. Jul 16, 2016 #4

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

Good catch. The top one is correct--it's the top of the 1st stage Nike motor, at the base of a 1.5-inch adapter section (actually the adapter has a much longer part that fits into the 2nd stage nozzle). The next one should be 297.75, and the bottom one should be 301.8 (That's the same flange as the one at the top of the 2nd stage, which I got from Stine's Nike Smoke data).

Peter Alway

5. Jul 16, 2016 #5

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

By the way, I've been poring over single-stage Nike Smoke stuff, I've concluded that some rounds were like the G Harry Stine drawing, with four 2.5 square-foot fins, but others were like the Centuri drawing with four 2.0 square foot fins. That will make the revised drawing fun!

Peter Alway

6. Jul 16, 2016 #6

jbuscaglia

jbuscaglia

jbuscaglia

Rusty-eyed Missile Man

Thanks, Peter. That's what I thought it was, but I was too lazy to do the math myself. :)

7. Nov 13, 2016 #7

Incongruent

Incongruent

Incongruent

The water was to increase the visibility of the smoke, since (especially at certain altitudes- 12-18km) there wasn't enough humidity to fully react it. Acetone and acetic acid were also tried as a smoke intensifier, but only worked as well as water.

Not sure about alcohol, but I assume it does the same and maybe it also serves to increase the density of the solution, since the water can fit in between alcohol molecules. That should save some weight since the container is smaller.

Source for the first paragraph: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720021986.pdf
    (It's posted on other threads too)
    The information is for a Nike Smoke, but chemistry and the atmosphere stay the same regardless.

8. Nov 15, 2016 #8

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

PeterAlway

Thanks for the wisdom and the link!

Peter Alway

9. Nov 15, 2016 #9

Incongruent

Incongruent

Incongruent

Anytime! I actually found the link in the 'external links' section of the (abnormally short) Wikipedia article for the Nike Smoke. There can be some really good stuff in that area.

Server for NASA's Technical Reports: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp
    (This is from the URL of the document)
    When you search, use advanced. The exact phrase (drop down from 'all of these words') is good for narrowing down less relevant files.
    (search advice is for anyone that goes to that site. You're a college professor... )

History of Rocket names: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19770010038.pdf

I'm going to start a new thread for these links, so as not to change the topic of this thread. We need more information on Nike Nike Smoke.

-Tony

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  10. Oct 19, 2018 #10

Leo

Leo

Leo

Peter, do you have a higher resolution picture? I need to look at more details for my design.