Scale data for NASA rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you could find the dimentions of a NASA rocket?, like the Ares 1? *wink wink :D
Here are the rockets I am trying to get dimentions for:

Delta IV
Saturn V
Ares-1
Atlas-V
Proton

Anyone know a univerceal place where you can find the dimentions of these?

Last edited:
Lemme see what I can dig up...

I sorta "reverse engineered" (measured photos/drawings and transposed for scale factors) the figures I couldn't find "official" sources for. Good enough for sport scale but not for competition...

But I'm not into competition anyway... OL JR :)

Haha, I went on wiki and pulled a picture of the ares 1 compared to the rest of the rockets, I am just worryed the scale isn't that good.

Does anyone know where you could find the dimentions of a NASA rocket?, like the Ares 1? *wink wink :D

Delta IV
Saturn IV
Ares-1
Atlas-V
Proton

Saturn IV?

Was one ever built?

Does that book contain the ares 1?

No... specs on the Ares I are rather hard to come by... I've been researching it for several years and have a whole folder of stuff, but not all on Ares I. Additionally, the Ares I design changed about as often as the designer's underwear, so that really complicates things...

Later! OL JR :)

No... specs on the Ares I are rather hard to come by... I've been researching it for several years and have a whole folder of stuff, but not all on Ares I. Additionally, the Ares I design changed about as often as the designer's underwear, so that really complicates things...

Dang, it just so happens to be on the top of my list to Scale, if anyone happens to come across the spec, no matter how outdated, jut let me know, i just need them hopefully by May 30......

Anyway, i have a backup plan, the Vostok......

Anywho, you mean the ares 1 design changes every year?

In November 2005, NASA MSFC issued RFP 114ARC39673 for
display models of the Constellation rockets. It contains lots of data
but as mentioned, the design changed so many times since then.

Still a great starting point for sport scale or future scale...

Delta IV
Saturn V
Ares-1
Atlas-V
Proton

Monty, I believe you have some in your possession on the underlined above. The Delta IV Heavy is a 5 meter diameter.

Did you try google? The Wiki entry for the Proton gives lots of data, and the mission planner's guide listed in the references has a lot of pictures, dimensions, etc.

ps: check the TRF Archives sometimes scale stuff was posted using the tag =scale=. I think Ol' JR's Ares postings are there.

In November 2005, NASA MSFC issued RFP 114ARC39673 for
display models of the Constellation rockets. It contains lots of data
but as mentioned, the design changed so many times since then.

Still a great starting point for sport scale or future scale...

I can't seem to open the .doc file.

Another thing...I found a cool tool to measure dimensions off digital photos on Silverleaf's website. Look for MB-Ruler 1.1 on this page.

Delta IV
Saturn V
Ares-1
Atlas-V
Proton

peter Aways books "Rockets of the World" are the best starter source for dimensions for the majority of the listed vehicles.

Dang, it just so happens to be on the top of my list to Scale, if anyone happens to come across the spec, no matter how outdated, jut let me know, i just need them hopefully by May 30......

Anyway, i have a backup plan, the Vostok......

Anywho, you mean the ares 1 design changes every year?

At one point Ares I was changing SEVERAL times per year... seemed like every other week there for awhile (though it was longer than that in reality).

At one point Ares I was changing SEVERAL times per year... seemed like every other week there for awhile (though it was longer than that in reality).

So those engineers only change their underwear several times a year? Boy i hope its anti-bacterial underwear :D

ANd has anyone have any numbers on the Ares yet? and i cant seem to open the .doc file that brianc provided :confused2:

I may be mistaken, but I believe those doc links are inactive now because the RFP (request for proposal) is long closed. I grabbed those documents when NASA put out the RFP and posted information on "old" TRF (before the crash, now called the "Archive") that post is here. In that post I found out that NASA had changed the design of the Crew Launch Vehicle (CLV, now called Ares 1). That is what luke is talking about. Search through the archive for more Ares info...you don't need to log on (you can't, actually) to search. There are a lot of nuggets in there.

Part of the fun of scale is researching your vehicle. I started running down the CLV, and came across mention of a proposed vehicle called "DIRECT" -- the results of that effort ended up with this model--it is not a real flying rocket, but if Congress comes around, it could become reality.

Another thing...I found a cool tool to measure dimensions off digital photos on Silverleaf's website. Look for MB-Ruler 1.1 on this page.

Sorry to drag this off topic slightly, but does anyone know if Silverleaf is still around on any rocket forums or anything? I haven't seen him for a long time...

Thanks,
Phil

I have a ton of the Ares I/I-X kits- they will always be in the inventory. They fly great and they sell even better.

BTW- I was there for the rollout and launch.

For the scale specs for my Ares I build, I pulled a scale picture off of a NASA forum, enlarged it, printed it out, then took a couple hours measuring it all out by using the diameter of the booster tube.

As for detail, I will use the same picture and measurements to give some sort of accurate scale details.

For the scale specs for my Ares I build, I pulled a scale picture off of a NASA forum, enlarged it, printed it out, then took a couple hours measuring it all out by using the diameter of the booster tube.

As for detail, I will use the same picture and measurements to give some sort of accurate scale details.

DO you mind sharing those specs you came up with?

DO you mind sharing those specs you came up with?

The rocket Ares-I that I am building is too big for you; the smallest motor it can fly on is a J.

luke strawwalker just posted the same pictures that I used, so use those pictures to design a model that you can fly. I'm using a 3" tube for the SRB. For you I'd recommend either an Estes BT-70 of BT-60 for it.

Thanks luke!!! And I will base it 1/70 scale no matter what, Bt-70 is close but no cigar

The rocket Ares-I that I am building is too big for you; the smallest motor it can fly on is a J.

luke strawwalker just posted the same pictures that I used, so use those pictures to design a model that you can fly. I'm using a 3" tube for the SRB. For you I'd recommend either an Estes BT-70 of BT-60 for it.

Mine is MPR... 1/100 scale more or less to be exact... (but not exactly LOL:)

I guess you'd call it semiscale...

For 1/100 scale, the SRB works out to be about a BT-56 (Semroc Series 13) and the Upperstage works out to BT-70. THe nosecone is custom made by me on a drill. The interstage frustrum was a reshaped BT-70 to BT-60 transition I got at NSL 08 and turned down to the correct scale length, taper, and the shoulder to BT-56 in a drill...

PS... this is basically the SAME SIZE as an Estes 1/100 Saturn V... so they can sit side by side and be in the proper scale... for instance, you can get an idea how much bigger the Orion is than the Apollo at this scale-- the Apollo capsule/SM on the Estes/Centuri 1/100 kit is BT-52, on this rocket it's just a shade under BT-70!

Course you can build any scale you want... Remember too, it still needs details and wraps, so I'm not particularly worried about the BT-70 being a hair too small.. :)

Ares I stack.jpg

Ares I SRB skirt.jpg

Ares I Orion BPC-SM nosecone.jpg

Ares fincan.jpg

Ares I SRB Frustrum transition.jpg

Last edited:
Back