"Scale" Big Bertha contest.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Here is something from Pete Alway that our local club, HUVARS, in Ann Arbor, Michigan is planning for a winter event.

Pete Alway writes. "I was asked to work up rules for the Big Bertha scale event. How about these?

Bertha Scale

This event was inspired by Gordon Gagnello's (pardon the mangling of the name) Big Bertha-Mercury Redstone and Gemini Bertha. This model was a Big Bertha painted up like a Mercury-Redstone with a Mercury escape tower.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=874&highlight=Bertha

It seemed like a neat idea, so....

The purpose of Bertha Scale is to make a scale-ish model by adding
parts and paint to a Bertha kit.

The Bertha part of the rules:

#1 The modeler can start with a Big Bertha, Baby Bertha, Super-Bertha,
Broadsword, or Mini-Bertha, Quest Big Betty, or a clone of one of
these.
#2 The model should start with a completed, unpainted, stock Bertha, with no parts left off. The modeler cannot remove any parts, or trim down any parts.
#3 The modeler can add any parts to the Bertha that don't violate the NAR safety code.
#4 The modeler can paint or finish the model as desired.

The Scale part of the rules

#5 The modeler can build a model of any prototype allowed in NAR Sport Scale or Future/Fiction scale.
#6 The modeler must provide one picture of the prototype.

Judging
#7 Criteria for judging are how well the model captures the spirit of the prototype, general cleverness, and craftsmanship. These are not separately scored categories.
#8 Each person present will give 3 points to their favorite model, 2 points to their second choice.
#9 Each model must fly safely (after judging, if possible). The model with the highest score of those that fly safely wins.

If these rules seem OK, let's call them official and post them to the web."

Peter Alway

Any Ideas? I was thinking of the Pegasus...one of the latest "air launched" satelite boosters...I believe Rocket Vision almost made a kit of it.

My Little Brother Kinda likes a Bertha version of the Jupiter C.

sandman

Back