SCALE - (AM38, AM39, MM38, MM40 or SM39) Exocet Missile Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDJ

Semi-retired Rocketry guy
Reaction score
This particular one is a clone of the kit. Apart from the motor mount (24mm vs. the original kit's 18mm) and the nose cone (it's the bluntest one in Quest's inventory) it's a blueprinted copy appearance-wise. The fins are the same shape, fin positions on the rocket is the same as the original kit, bodytube length is the same, nose cone has mass added just like the original kit.

The original kit was a standard surface mounted fin arrangement, but my clone has all the fins TTB glued.
Fins are 1/8" 3 ply birch plywood. I built this clone for strength and speed, since it has a good chance of breaking a CAR E-impulse altitude record that's been on the books since 2006.

P1020783.jpg

P1020781.jpg
P1020779.jpg

P1020775.jpg

I have the original scans of the kit instructions, plus a image of the decals (I'm still working on that part) if anyone wishes to build one of these.
It's a skill level 3 kit, mostly because of the amount of fins, how careful the fin position has to be, and the added weight is quite critical to this rocket.
It currently has 4 successful flights on a E9-6 motor, and it's simulated stable up to a 24mm F-impulse.

It's fast. Very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the SCALE (AM38, AM39, MM38, MM40 or SM39) Exocet Missile Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Exocet Missile and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Binder Design: Exocet:
Estes: Exocet MM 38: #1925
TLP: Exocet AM.39: K041
TLP: Exocet MM.40 (Early): K008

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The Exocet is built by MBDA, a European missile company. Development began in 1967 by Nord as a ship-launched missile named MM 38. A few years later Aerospatiale and Nord merged. The basic missile body design was based on the Nord AS30 air to ground tactical missile. The air-launched Exocet was developed in 1974 and entered service with the French Navy five years later.

The relatively compact missile is designed for attacking small- to medium-size warships (e.g. frigates, corvettes, and destroyers), although multiple hits are effective against larger vessels, such as aircraft carriers. It is guided inertially in mid-flight and turns on active radar late in its flight to find and hit its target. As a counter measure against the air defence around the target, it maintains a very low altitude during ingress, staying 1–2 m above the sea surface. Due to the effect of the radar horizon, this means that the target may not detect an incoming attack until the missile is only 6000 m from impact. This leaves little time for reaction and stimulated the design of CIWS.

Its solid propellant engine gives the Exocet a maximum range of 70 kilometres (43 mi; 38 nmi). The solid-propellant engine was replaced on the Block 3 MM40 ship-launched version of the missile with a solid-propellant booster and a turbojet sustainer engine which extends the range to 180 kilometres (110 mi; 97 nmi). The submarine-launched version places the missile inside a launch capsule.

The Exocet has been manufactured in a number of versions, including:

MM38 (surface-launched)
AM38 (helicopter-launched - tested only)
AM39 (air-launched)
SM39 (submarine-launched)
MM40 (surface-launched)

The chief competitors to the Exocet are the U.S.-made Harpoon, the Swedish RBS-15 and the Chinese Yingji series.

Last edited:
Estes Exocet MM38 (#1925) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Exocet MM38 Also known as: Exocet

NUMBER: #1925

Introduced:
Final Year: 1984
Designer: 1985

Type: Semi-Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 19.5"
Diameter: 1.595"
Span:
Weight: 2.37 oz

Mfg. Description: Nearly two feet tall, the semi-scale model of the French anti-ship missile produced by the Societe Nationale Industrielle Aerspatiale is an excellent sport flier capable of altitudes up to 900 feet. It's also an excellent display model. (Estes 1984 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-exocet%20mm38%201925-1984%20cat%20livery.jpg
1984 Catalog
estes-exocet%20mm38%201925-1985%20cat%20livery.jpg
1985 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-exocet%20mm38%201925-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-exocet%20mm38%201925-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
TLP Exocet AM.39 (K041) Basic Information.

launchpad.gif
The Launch Pad (TLP)

MODEL NAME: Exocet AM.39 Also known as:

NUMBER: K041

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 35.0"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: International Favorite

EXOCET AM.39 AIR-LAUNCHED ANTI-SHIP MISSILE (France)

The EXOCET family was originally designed as ship-launched missiles, but the air-launch potential was immediately recognized and development began. The first air-launched EXOCET was designated AM.38, and was nearly identical to the ship-fired MM.38 missile. This was test fired from helicopters, but the need for faster, longer-range delivery was obvious. Changes were then made to the airframe, wings, and fins to facilitate carrying by jet fighters at supersonic speeds. A new propulsion system and an improved target seeker were added, and the new missile was then designated AM.39, the version we offer in kit format.

Our Aerospatiale EXOCET AM.39 is a painstakingly designed 1/5.30 scale replica of this important French anti-ship missile. It uses a single "D" or "E" motor to achieve its long-range flights, and returns by an 18" diameter parachute for its next mission. For clustered "D" or "E" motor power, see the slightly larger EXOCET MM.40 on the next page. (TLP 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

tlp-exocet%20am39%20k041-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

tlp-exocet%20am39%20k041-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
Sodmeister

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
TLP Exocet MM.40 (Early) (K008) Basic Information.

launchpad.gif
The Launch Pad (TLP)

MODEL NAME: Exocet MM.40 (Early) Also known as:

NUMBER: K008

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, Cluster
Motor Mount: 2x24mm
Length: 42.0"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: International Favorite.

EXOCET MM.40 (Early Version) ANTI-SHIP MISSILE (France)

Used by Argentina during the Falklands War, the Exocet series of missiles caused some heavily publicized damage to the British fleet, sinking at least one ship, despite the fact that, in at least two cases, the missile warheads failed to detonate! The manufacturer, Aerospatiale, claims that the problem has been corrected. All Exocets use active radar homing, skimming along just above the waves to strike the target near the waterline. A delay fuse allows it to penetrate the stricken ship before detonating its high-explosive warhead. This early model of the MM.40 is no longer produced, but the current version is used, in addition to it's ship-to-ship role, as a land-based, coastal defense missile.

The Launch Pad is proud to offer this impressive 1/5.30 scale model of the MM.40 version of the Exocet. This is the first production model of the MM.40, looking very much like a slightly stretched MM.38. Later rounds of the MM.40 have fins shaped more like the AM.39 Exocet on the previous page. You will enjoy building and flying this tall (3 ft.) and beautiful missile which will catch everyone's eye with realistic flaming takeoffs and soaring flights. Uses a pair of powerful "D" or "E" motors in tandem.. (TLP 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

tlp-exocet%20mm40%20k008-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

tlp-exocet%20mm40%20k008-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Binder Designs Exocet Missile.
All information was provided by Mike Fisher of Binder Design with his approval

Rendering of the design

Binder Design Exocet.jpg

View attachment Binder Design Exocet.rkt
.rkt of the 2004 4 X 38mm

Image of a pre-production 4 X 38mm cluster kit launching. Circa 2004

exocet.JPG

MODEL NAME:
NUMBER: Possibly 2523
Introduced:1993
Final Year: 1998
Designer: Scott Binder

Motor Mount: 54mm motor mount
Recovery: 45" octagon chute
Stages: single stage
Length: 70" length
Diameter: 4" diameter
Span: 11" span
Weight: 80 oz.

Mfg. Description:

Note: The rocket was out of production when Mike Fisher purchased Binder Design in 2001, very little information has turned up on this rocket.

Last edited:
Binder Designs Exocet Missile.
All information was provided by Mike Fisher of Binder Design with his approval

Rendering of the design

View attachment 124380

View attachment 124461
.rkt of the 2004 4 X 38mm

Image of a pre-production 4 X 38mm cluster kit launching. Circa 2004

View attachment 124381

MODEL NAME:
NUMBER: Possibly 2523
Introduced:1993
Designer: Scott Binder

Motor Mount: 54mm motor mount
Recovery: 45" octagon chute
Stages: single stage
Length: 70" length
Diameter: 4" diameter
Span: 11" span
Weight: 80 oz.

Mfg. Description:

Note: The rocket was out of production when Mike Fisher purchased Binder Design in 2001, very little information has turned up on this rocket.

Can you give me a bit more information?

Were the stats you gave for the original or a reproduction?

Did the repro ever go into production?

Binder Design Exocet Basic Information.

binder_design.gif
Binder Design

MODEL NAME: Exocet Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced: 1993
Designer: Scot Binder

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 70"
Diameter: 4"
Span: 11"
Weight: 80 oz

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Can you give me a bit more information?

Were the stats you gave for the original or a reproduction?

Did the repro ever go into production?

I understand that the stats are for the original.

The .rkt file is of the pre-production version, which has yet to go into production. I got the "Ok" to post it before I did.

I was told that the rocket seen in the photo was destroyed due to some malfunction.

I was poking around the internet last night and found a link to my old web site on rec.models.rockets. I looked the address up on The Internet Wayback Machine and there it was. I found the pictures of my old Binder Designs Exocet.

I went to LDRS 17 at Bonneville, UT on a whim. I had just started to get back into rocketry for the second time and only had one HPR, a Hawk Mountain Transonic. I didn't really know anyone else that was going so I contacted Darryl Mobley and he said look me up when you get here. Darryl invited me to a dinner party on Friday night and a bunch of famous rocketeers were there including Ky Michaelson and Bruce Kelly. Everyone present got a small gift from one of the vendors. Mine was a RC3 chute from Ky.

On Saturday night I attended the LDRS banquet and bought around $20 of raffle tickets. That was the best $20 I ever spent on rocketry. I wound up winning about $400 worth of prizes. It got to the point that people were starting to get mad. I don't remember everything I won but I think I won a 38mm motor from Dr. Rocket, an expensive technical report on rocketry (almost a full ream of printed paper) and a Binder Designs Exocet. I think that the Exocet kit was a second. The tubes were nice, the fins were a little warped and rough though, and it came with a plastic nose cone. I later called Scott to order the scale FG nose cone and he sent that to me free of charge too. It was a nice flying rocket. I flew it on motors from an I161 to a J350. Unfortunately, it met it's untimely demise when I forgot to arm the altimeter for my first electronic deployment flight. I had been standing in line for way too long out in the heat at Black Rock without anything to eat or drink. I was so happy just to get the rocket on the pad so I could go back to my EZ-UP. Right before the it took off I actually realized that I forgot to arm the altimeter (I saw the Remove Before Flight ribbon flapping in the breeze) but it was too late by the time I started screaming at the LCO and the rocket lawn darted into the playa.

Exocet1.JPG

Exocet2.JPG

Back