SC Precision Airfoil Rail Guide manufacturing video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCP

Reaction score
Just for fun I posted a time lapse video of the machining operations (CNC and other) it takes to make the 10 series Airfoil Rail Guides. Its on Instagram, look for my account "SC_Precision". Just thought it could be interesting.

Hey Scott, I love watching CNC machines at work they are just memorizing.

BTW there was an article showing the drag differences between rail button designs and yours fared well. Don't ask me for a link to it maybe someone can recall and post it.

The one recommended improvement was to profile the leading edge. I did mine manually on two rockets and it certainly does not impede performance or reliability. Whether it actually improves CD or not is not something I cannot measure so I am relying on a bit of faith that the author did their CFD analysis correctly and some intuitive logic.

Thanks Tobar! Just figuring out some IG stuff, I think they disappear after 24 hours haha. Next time I will add a link, I see how you did that.

Hey Scott, I love watching CNC machines at work they are just memorizing.

BTW there was an article showing the drag differences between rail button designs and yours fared well. Don't ask me for a link to it maybe someone can recall and post it.

The one recommended improvement was to profile the leading edge. I did mine manually on two rockets and it certainly does not impede performance or reliability. Whether it actually improves CD or not is not something I cannot measure so I am relying on a bit of faith that the author did their CFD analysis correctly and some intuitive logic.

Yeah Michael, Tim at Apogee did that report and presented it in a conference. I believe I have it stashed away somewhere.....maybe I can put it here on the Forum, or on my website for anyone interested.

Yeah Michael, Tim at Apogee did that report and presented it in a conference. I believe I have it stashed away somewhere.....maybe I can put it here on the Forum, or on my website for anyone interested.

I recently posted info about that report (Here on TRF)

Scott,,
Your airfoiled rail guides have been on every rocket I've ever built..

Machined Delrin..
Not Printed PLA..

Nothing but the best..
That's why I carry them..

Teddy

Back