SBR Li'l Thor Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nict

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello! New BAR, got the bug bad with my son. We're already talking about level 1 (and maybe 2) next summer, but in the mean time, let's build some low power stuff.

SBR being somewhat local to me, seems like a fun place to start my non-Estes kit building experience. I ordered the Li'l Thor and the Li'l Fusion. Flip of a coin, and off we begin with the Li'l Thor.

Overall, nice looking kit. Everything seems high quality and well done. The instructions are kept to one page which initially seems lacking, but then I remembered that I've built plenty low power stuff. Don't over complicate these things, right? First change? Moving the shock cord mount. I'm not a fan of the gluing the cord to the side of the body tube. What was it I just said about not over complicating these things? Oops.

Glued the first half of both motor mount rings, and that'll be in for today. Same time tomorrow for nearly the exact same picture? Tune in to find out.

PXL_20210824_201121076.jpg

Wow, I've been looking for larger version of that model forever. Every time I search it I get the Thor Able, Thor Agena, etc.

I have the carded version in my carded rocket binder and I have already built a carded version as well. Been collecting and building carded models for a while; I know they are hard to find now. :-( *Top is my Art Applewhite 4th of July MMX rockets.
235242228_825621814798889_8726973697375217577_n.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy the build! I have a Lil Thor that needs its maiden flight and I'm finishing the Thor 54 right now.

Got a little more work done.

The engine mount is in. That was a tight fit! I suspect most of that was related to my shock cord mount, but it's in, glued, and no damage was sustained.

Fins! Got all the fins on. I didn't bother to airfoil anything. This an 18mm park flyer, it's not setting any records. :)

PXL_20210825_050540638.jpgPXL_20210825_160610533.jpg

So I get home from work this afternoon and decide to do a Little more work on Li'l Thor. I go to take if off the fin jig and notice that it's has the 24mm adapter in it and it's way behind the clip.

Well that's odd.

How did I miss that? I guess I was having to much fun building, and not paying much mind to the hole size. Looks like this equipped for 24mmx95mm motors. Is that a reload only size? Regardless, that's exciting - I've never played with those before.

PXL_20210825_214522153.jpgPXL_20210825_214547686.jpg

Good Afternoon;

Estes offers three different classes of black powder motors in 24mm diameter. C’s and D’s are 70 mm in length, and E’s are 95 mm.

That kit may have come with a spacer that you can insert into the motor mount tube ahead of C and D motors to fill the gap (I know my WAC Corporal from ASP is that way)

Good Afternoon;

Estes offers three different classes of black powder motors in 24mm diameter. C’s and D’s are 70 mm in length, and E’s are 95 mm.

That kit may have come with a spacer that you can insert into the motor mount tube ahead of C and D motors to fill the gap (I know my WAC Corporal from ASP is that way)

I just found the 95mm E sizes. The kit did not come with a spacer, but I've got plenty of 24x70 engines that can be turned into a spacer at some point.

More than anything, I posted to point out something funny - this BAR got so caught up building his new flashy rocket, the vastly different than advertised motor size was completely missed! 😂

So I get home from work this afternoon and decide to do a Little more work on Li'l Thor. I go to take if off the fin jig and notice that it's has the 24mm adapter in it and it's way behind the clip.

Well that's odd.

How did I miss that? I guess I was having to much fun building, and not paying much mind to the hole size. Looks like this equipped for 24mmx95mm motors. Is that a reload only size? Regardless, that's exciting - I've never played with those before.

View attachment 479276View attachment 479277
My kit only has the 18mm mount.
Yours may have been a later run with 24mm mount and adapter.
Actually better that way, you can use both 18 and 24 mm motors.

Mine came with a 24mm motors mount although the card still said 18mm. I'm happy how it came, it is more versatile that way.

I have a Thor 38 kit and a built Lil Fusion, upsized the mmt on the Lil Fusion to 24mm and flew it on AT G55W, AT G110T, and a CTI F240 Vmax, what a blast, built stock other than an altimeter bay (needed somewhere to put electronics) used a 10' mylar bird tape streamer for recovery.

Back