SBR Fusion Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QBrandt

Reaction score
I've been doing HPR as part of a University team for several years. Been reading bits and pieces around here about as long, and it was amazingly helpful, if time consuming.
I helped some people build kits for Level 1 certs last year. Since I won't be able to help as much this year, I thought a reference document might useful. That's what this is. Worst case, I just get practice at documenting projects.

I picked up an SBR Fusion Kit. Worked on a lot of smaller rockets the past year, wanted something I could actually get my hands in. It also comes with almost everything but the motor.
What tipped me was the optional RRC3 altimeter, which came at a discount.

Since I'm still waiting on my epoxy to arrive, going to organize and overview the kit. Part lists generally go left to right, top to bottom. (I'm not normally this organized, I just had time.)

Tubes and Rings
XmVbA3z.jpg

29mm Adapter
- 29mm Tube (11.3" long)
- 4x centering rings (3x 54 to 29, 1x Base)

38mm Adapter
- 38mm Tube (11.3" long)
- 4x centering rings (3x 54 to 38, 1x Base)

54mm Motor Mount
- 54mm Tube (11.3" long)
- 3x Fins (0.125" thick, 5 ply)
- Forward Centering Ring (one hole for eyebolt)
- Aft Centering Ring (two holes for T-nuts)

Payload Bay
- 2x Bulkplates
- 2x 3.9" Coupler (7" long)
- 3.9" Tube (4.25" long)

Airframe
- Slotted 3.9" Tube (17" long)
- 3.9" Tube (17" long)
- Plastic Nose Cone (16" exposed length, Ogive?)
All pretty standard. Tubes are cardboard, wood is 1/8" 5 ply (motor adapter pieces are 3 ply).
All body tubes have a vertical red line, for rail button alignment.
Also, the fins have a rear chamfer to allow for fillets.

Recovery and Hardware
BemXK1F.jpg

Recovery
- 15" Top Flight Chute
- 45" Top Flight Chute
- 2x 1/2" Tubular Nylon Shock Cord (10' and 20')
- 2x Nomex Shock Cord Protectors
- 2x Nomex Chute Protectors
Chute and Shock Cord protectors are a nice inclusion.
Drogue and Main are also different colors, easy to distinguish (read: know when to run).

Hardware
- 8x Plastic Rivets (Kit says 6)
- 2x Motor Retainer Clip Assemblies (T-Nut, Allen Head Bolt and Clip)
- 2x 3-piece 1010 Rail Buttons
- 2x 1-Piece Rail Buttons (from Apogee, not included with the kit)
- 3x Quick Links (3/16")
- 2x Bulkhead Eyebolt Assembly
- Motor Mount Eyebolt Assembly
Looking forward to those Clips for internal fillets, always break my tape pull tabs.
Quick Links are nice, make attaching/switching chutes a breeze.
Eye bolts aren't forged, but shouldn't be a problem. Not planning on popping laundry anywhere near Mach.
Didn't like the look of those 3-piece buttons, tied them to not lose anything.

Instructions and Aesthetics
wlcc99U.jpg

- Decal Sheet (CP, 2x Vent, Camera Hole Template, 2x SBR)
- Fusion Keychain
- Vinyl Body Wrap
- 2x Reflective Tape (1" and 0.5")
- Fin Alignment Guide
- Instruction Book (12 pages, full color)
As far as I'm concerned, these instructions are the gold standard.
The Body Wrap looks like an easy(ish) way to get a fantastic finish with minimal paint. I'm not going to use it, but it looks great.
Reflective Tape is a great idea, the stuff is BRIGHT (had to turn my camera flash off to not blow out the picture). Better odds of spotting it in the weeds/corn.

Payload and Altimeter
ocqJL3f.jpg

Altimeter (OPTIONAL)
- RRC3 Sport
Needs a battery connector and switch to fly as a logger. Neither included.

Payload
- CAM1 Mount (laser cut 3 ply)
Don't have any comments on this yet, will build it first.

Will hopefully get time to start building this weekend.

It’s a great kit! Couldn’t agree more about the instructions. Great help for introduction to high power or re-introduction as was my case. Used mine for my level one and probably will for my level two as well.
Keep us posted!

I am interested in the SBR 3 Fusion for a Level 1 flight. I was wondering if anyone else has comments or plus or minuses on this kit?
I did a search and did not come up with any threads but I could have entered it wrong. It seems like with the recommended engine
it will be close to 3000'. I intend to use the enclosed 36" chute to keep it a simple flight so wind could be a factor on drift.
Thanks ahead for any info on this model. The present kit has far less material but looks like a great kit. Sterk03

I am interested in the SBR 3 Fusion for a Level 1 flight. I was wondering if anyone else has comments or plus or minuses on this kit?
I did a search and did not come up with any threads but I could have entered it wrong. It seems like with the recommended engine
it will be close to 3000'. I intend to use the enclosed 36" chute to keep it a simple flight so wind could be a factor on drift.
Thanks ahead for any info on this model. The present kit has far less material but looks like a great kit. Sterk03
They work, and 3k could well be correct. The kit has had a change made, the nosecones are 3D printed, which allows for easier modifications, but require some additonal assembly steps. Other wise I have seen lots of them flown for certs both the current and the older version from a couple of years ago.

I've been doing HPR as part of a University team for several years. Been reading bits and pieces around here about as long, and it was amazingly helpful, if time consuming.
I helped some people build kits for Level 1 certs last year. Since I won't be able to help as much this year, I thought a reference document might useful. That's what this is. Worst case, I just get practice at documenting projects.

I picked up an SBR Fusion Kit. Worked on a lot of smaller rockets the past year, wanted something I could actually get my hands in. It also comes with almost everything but the motor.
What tipped me was the optional RRC3 altimeter, which came at a discount.

Since I'm still waiting on my epoxy to arrive, going to organize and overview the kit. Part lists generally go left to right, top to bottom. (I'm not normally this organized, I just had time.)

Tubes and Rings
XmVbA3z.jpg

29mm Adapter
- 29mm Tube (11.3" long)
- 4x centering rings (3x 54 to 29, 1x Base)

38mm Adapter
- 38mm Tube (11.3" long)
- 4x centering rings (3x 54 to 38, 1x Base)

54mm Motor Mount
- 54mm Tube (11.3" long)
- 3x Fins (0.125" thick, 5 ply)
- Forward Centering Ring (one hole for eyebolt)
- Aft Centering Ring (two holes for T-nuts)

Payload Bay
- 2x Bulkplates
- 2x 3.9" Coupler (7" long)
- 3.9" Tube (4.25" long)

Airframe
- Slotted 3.9" Tube (17" long)
- 3.9" Tube (17" long)
- Plastic Nose Cone (16" exposed length, Ogive?)
All pretty standard. Tubes are cardboard, wood is 1/8" 5 ply (motor adapter pieces are 3 ply).
All body tubes have a vertical red line, for rail button alignment.
Also, the fins have a rear chamfer to allow for fillets.

Recovery and Hardware
BemXK1F.jpg

Recovery
- 15" Top Flight Chute
- 45" Top Flight Chute
- 2x 1/2" Tubular Nylon Shock Cord (10' and 20')
- 2x Nomex Shock Cord Protectors
- 2x Nomex Chute Protectors
Chute and Shock Cord protectors are a nice inclusion.
Drogue and Main are also different colors, easy to distinguish (read: know when to run).

Hardware
- 8x Plastic Rivets (Kit says 6)
- 2x Motor Retainer Clip Assemblies (T-Nut, Allen Head Bolt and Clip)
- 2x 3-piece 1010 Rail Buttons
- 2x 1-Piece Rail Buttons (from Apogee, not included with the kit)
- 3x Quick Links (3/16")
- 2x Bulkhead Eyebolt Assembly
- Motor Mount Eyebolt Assembly
Looking forward to those Clips for internal fillets, always break my tape pull tabs.
Quick Links are nice, make attaching/switching chutes a breeze.
Eye bolts aren't forged, but shouldn't be a problem. Not planning on popping laundry anywhere near Mach.
Didn't like the look of those 3-piece buttons, tied them to not lose anything.

Instructions and Aesthetics
wlcc99U.jpg

- Decal Sheet (CP, 2x Vent, Camera Hole Template, 2x SBR)
- Fusion Keychain
- Vinyl Body Wrap
- 2x Reflective Tape (1" and 0.5")
- Fin Alignment Guide
- Instruction Book (12 pages, full color)
As far as I'm concerned, these instructions are the gold standard.
The Body Wrap looks like an easy(ish) way to get a fantastic finish with minimal paint. I'm not going to use it, but it looks great.
Reflective Tape is a great idea, the stuff is BRIGHT (had to turn my camera flash off to not blow out the picture). Better odds of spotting it in the weeds/corn.

Payload and Altimeter
ocqJL3f.jpg

Altimeter (OPTIONAL)
- RRC3 Sport
Needs a battery connector and switch to fly as a logger. Neither included.

Payload
- CAM1 Mount (laser cut 3 ply)
Don't have any comments on this yet, will build it first.

Will hopefully get time to start building this weekend.
I was looking forward to this one, but this was started 4 years ago basically, and it doesn't show when the last time the op was even on the Forum.

I built a 3" fusion and used it for my L1 cert. It was my first rocket since approx 1984... The kit was purchased in Dec '21 and was the "Narcon 2022" special edition which I think was only different from the normal 3" fusion because of the body wrap and a free avbay sled. At any rate, it has the 3D printed nose cone which I ended up fiberglassing on the inside and then "painting" the outside with West System epoxy prior to painting. Kit went together fine. I think the only thing that was needed for flight but not included was a nomex blanket. I've flown it 3-4 times always with the 29mm motor adapter that came with the kit. The L1 cert was with a H115DM and went to 1800', O.R. sim predicted 1950'. Other flights have been on G motors so the cert flight was the largest motor I've tried so far. The 36" chute is holding up fine but does come with some drifting with the wind. All flights were at Bong (Wisconsin) which I think is rather gentle for landings (mostly shrubs and tall grass but with the random pond or gravel road...) and the airframe has no damage (yet?).

The only potential downside I see is the nosecone. Others have reported issues with the 3D printed nosecones though mine seems perfectly solid (I did fiberglass the interior). Maybe the smaller 3" nosecones are a bit more robust than the larger ones?

I don't have any experience with other kits, and frankly have nearly no experience with anything, but for me I enjoyed the build and enjoy flying it.

Attachments

• bcc cert pic.JPG
    bcc cert pic.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 0
Ok all good to know. I am between the adapter or a H motor and yes aware of the drift if it goes to 3000'. Just trying to keep it simple for the cert flight. My weight comes in a little heavier then the OR numbers but I'm sure of my paint and epoxy, especially the nose cone. Thanks again for the comments I do appreciate them.

Thanks,Sterk03

Ok all good to know. I am between the adapter or a H motor and yes aware of the drift if it goes to 3000'. Just trying to keep it simple for the cert flight. My weight comes in a little heavier then the OR numbers but I'm sure of my paint and epoxy, especially the nose cone. Thanks again for the comments I do appreciate them.

Thanks,Sterk03
Video tape your flight for us.

Back