SBR Fusion 4" fin question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBob

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a SBR fusion with the intent of L1 and later L2 cert.
My question I have is in the section about shaping the leading edge of the fins and is specific about not doing the trailing edge.
Why would you not want to bevel the trailing edge of the fins to make a complete and symmetric airfoil?

I am in the process of building a SBR fusion with the intent of L1 and later L2 cert.
My question I have is in the section about shaping the leading edge of the fins and is specific about not doing the trailing edge.
Why would you not want to bevel the trailing edge of the fins to make a complete and symmetric airfoil?
If you were landing fins down on a hard surface, you would not want anything but the most robust of fin edges. In essence, trading strength for altitude.

For a cert flight, I wouldn't airfoil any of the edges. As Tom noted, it does possibly weaken the edges, but, more importantly, I actually wanted drag on my cert flights. Helps keep them low and slow. You can always go back and airfoil them later.

For a cert flight, I wouldn't airfoil any of the edges. As Tom noted, it does possibly weaken the edges, but, more importantly, I actually wanted drag on my cert flights. Helps keep them low and slow. You can always go back and airfoil them later.
+1

Back