SBC commercial.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had not seen the commercial....... Thanks for sharing the link.......

I just don't get it....... Hows does blowing up a car with a rocket, sell internet service? What gives them the right to make up stuff? I mean this is a commercial, not a movie........ In a movie, the truth tends to get stretched....... It's just entertainment...... But a commercial is suppost to truthful, right?

I feel like writing SBC and giving them a piece of my mind :kill:

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I had not seen the commercial....... Thanks for sharing the link.......

I just don't get it....... Hows does blowing up a car with a rocket, sell internet service? What gives them the right to make up stuff? I mean this is a commercial, not a movie........ In a movie, the truth tends to get stretched....... It's just entertainment...... But a commercial is suppost to truthful, right?

I feel like writing SBC and giving them a piece of my mind :kill:

You are making the assumption that commercials are supposed to make sense. All they are really designed to do is make the observer remember the product. In this particular case, it worked. I agree the commercial doesn't exactly help the cause.

A rocket would never blow a car up like that. The company lied and overexaggerated. How do I know, as the consumer, that they didnt do the same about their internet service

Lighten up, Francis!

If you expect commercials (especially ones where they go out of their way to make sure you know it is comedy) to be truthful, they you have a hard life ahead of you. Does AOL speed technology really make cars go back in time? Does eating Mintos really turn you in to a raging Euro-metrosexual? Were anybodies buns as big as the ones in Wendy's "Where's the Beef" series? Do the Yellow Books really stay on a table in a 500 mph wind tunnel? Once comedy is inserted into a commercial, most people (except the professional victims lobby) know that they are not in for a serious recitation of facts, but rather a little entertainment meant to make their brand name more recognizable. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here are the hints that everybody outside RMR can see that this commercial is not attempting to depict reality: a) The lead actor is a well-known comedian, not a serious actor or unknown. This is your first hint that the commercial is not serious. b) The car, when struck my a small model rocket, explodes in a gigantic fireball. Most rational people understand that even if that were a stick of dynamite with fins, it still would not have had that cartoonish outcome. c) After the explosion, the comedian mentioned in #a above says "I should have brought your Mom's car." I say, I say, that's a joke boyah! [/Foghorn Leghorn]

This commercial does not damage model rocketry. If anything, it may re-kindle memories of happy youths in some soon-to-be BARs.

LOL :D

And i thought *our* tv advertising was bad...

I just saw the commercial this weekend, and for what it's worth, I thought it was hilarious! But then again, I am not easily offended...

Glenn

Personally, I think the commercial is amusing, and as far as being damaging to the rocketry community, it's not. Fist off, anyone who sees this commercial and actually believes it to be realistic is not intelligent enough, in my opinion, to be allowed to have rockets. Second, (and I'm getting quite near the end off my... analysis of this commercail) the punch line could have been much worse. The guy says "should've brought your mom's car", not "should've built an airpalne" or "Should've bought a telescope." I know it's a small difference but subconciously that gives the idea that he isn't upset with the rocket, just that he's upset it was his car. I think that in itself shows a little compassion towards the rocketry community.

Peace :cool:

Mike

Does eating Mentos really turn you in to a raging Euro-metrosexual?

That's why I won't eat them!

I don't wanna turn into a Euro-metrosexual!

ROTFL
:D

sandman

Back