Saturn V Roll Patterns?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Try as I might, I can't find any decent images for the roll patterns of the various Saturn V's. I'd like to make models (sims) of them (think of it as a visual guide), but image searches turn up precious few shots, and even fewer multiple angles of them.

The best image I've found so far is this:
600px-saturn_v_launches.jpg

Source: https://vintagespace.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/painting-rockets/

One thing I'm noticing is that I can't see the US Flag above the USA marking at the base of the first stage... that we see on models such as the Estes kit. Though it is entirely possible that the flag may be concealed by the ice and venting gasses.

002157_main_1_2_2.png

Yes, flag hidden by frost.

IIRC, all the Saturn-V's that flew had the same roll pattern (some exceptions for Service modules, and later Saturn-V's had fewer Separation rockets for staging).

Drawing by Peter Alway, from Rockets of the World (found this one on pinterest)
XYPvuQg.jpg

Also SA-500F, a non-flyable Saturn mock-up, had a unique roll pattern that unfortunately has been copied for some models, artwork, and even movies. So, be sure NOT to model that.

10892701943_3ba4cdd5c8_b.jpg

Roll pattern difference of SA-500F is mostly related to the 3rd (S-IVB) stage (also no US flags on 1st stage). It never flew, was rolled out to 39A for pad fit and test fit with the Mobile Service Structure (MSS - google it).

Saturne%2B5%2Band%2BTower%2BPlan%2BAmericain%252Blogo.jpg

Last edited:
Also SA-500F, a non-flyable Saturn mock-up, had a unique roll pattern that unfortunately has been copied for some models, artwork, and even movies. So, be sure NOT to model that.

10892701943_3ba4cdd5c8_b.jpg

Roll pattern difference of SA-500F is mostly related to the 3rd (S-IVB) stage (also no US flags on 1st stage). It never flew, was rolled out to 39A for pad fit and test fit with the Mobile Service Structure (MSS - google it).

Saturne%2B5%2Band%2BTower%2BPlan%2BAmericain%252Blogo.jpg

Thanks for that! As for SA-500F, If I can pull this off, I'd do it too (with a clear explanation that it was a non-flyable mock-up).

a non-frost covered on-pad picture shows the USA flag:

P-590767-FI7LJirz2f-1.jpg

I seem to remember seeing a top-down view of the S-IVB interstage pattern, so that you could see the whole roll pattern at once, but I don't remember where I saw that. Does that sound familiar to anybody?

What great pics. Perfect timing since I'm ordering a Saturn V to build on my vacation this month. My 1b turned out great so I'm giving the all mighty V a try.

Thanks to all for those great images! I've ordered my new Estes Saturn V releases (both the RTF and the builder's kit)... Now, if I can only get them sent here in China.

Thanks for those. What is the source please Dave?

Wow, I wish you hadn't asked that - LOL !

I have had those for years, but I don't recall the source . . .I believe they are from Nick Stevens website in the UK. https://www.starbase1.co.uk/pages/Galleries2/Astronomical Art/Spacecraft/slides/saturn-v-quadx.html

I just found this PDF file : https://3384f12ld0l0tjlik1fcm68s-wp...018/12/Saturn-5-Markings-Detailed-Diagram.pdf

That link came from the TARC website : https://rocketcontest.org/gallery/educational-resources/

Dave F.

Last edited:
Thinking back, somewhere in the last 50 years or so, I heard or read the roll pattern was shorten on the S1-C to lessen heat absorption from the black paint on the lower end of the LOX tank. But I may be full of crap as well.

Thinking back, somewhere in the last 50 years or so, I heard or read the roll pattern was shorten on the S1-C to lessen heat absorption from the black paint on the lower end of the LOX tank. But I may be full of crap as well.

You are correct. SA-501 was stacked in the VAB when data from 500F indicated the black areas above the LOX tank were getting a bit... warm shall we say. So 501 and 502 were repainted with more white at KSC while the S-1C stages for 503 through 505 were repainted at Michoud. 506 (Apollo 11) was the first rocket that didn't need white painted over black in that spot and the same was true for subsequent rockets.

On 501 and 502, you can see a bit of a white "tan line" on the S-IC as the newer paint looked slightly brighter than the original paint. There is also some variation that can be seen on the black of later stages as original black faded slightly in the sun. The black repaints look to have been done in spots like the S-IC to S-II intertank when the decision was made to only fly with four ullage motors from Apollo 8 to 14, and then all the ullage motors being removed for Apollo 15 onwards.

Back