Saturn V, Mercury Redstone, Space Shuttle Columbia paper models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanOtt

Reaction score
For any paper modelers out there.

I also have a nice Saturn V and a Lunar Module, but the files are too large to upload. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Attachments

• Mercury Redstone directions.pdf
    736.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Mercury Redstone.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • mercury24.pdf
    381.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Mini_Saturn_V.pdf
    597.7 KB · Views: 102
  • shuttlestack200.pdf
    633.4 KB · Views: 98
  • SaturnV.pdf
    336.1 KB · Views: 174
  • columbiamod.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I found this Paper Desktop model of the Orion Crew Module and Service Module from NASA. There seems to have been a similar hardcopy version of the SLS floating around on eBay, but I can't find a PDF of that one anywhere on the NASA web. If anyone knows of a link for the corresponding SLS model from NASA please post the link here, if there is one.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/orion/2014/10/28/build-an-orion-of-your-own/

DSC_8402.jpg

Thanks, those models are awesome. I hope to build the XR-1 someday.

I was mainly looking for the particular one published by NASA

I went ahead and bought the NASA printed SLS model from eBay, I could not find a version of it anywhere else. It is more of a paper-doll style punch-out cardstock model with tabs and slots that interlock. Those were kind of tricky on the Orion model, I resorted to putting a little glue on the tabs and in some cases adding my own glue tabs to help reinforce the model. I may do the same with this model.

The SLS model has several pre-punched all-white parts on a white background, so I really can't scan it, unless I punch out the parts first and put it on a darker background. I will give that a try and see if I can get a decent scan to share here, but the PDF might be too large to post. It's a very simplified model, but might be interesting, not sure if it would be suitable for conversion to a model rocket.

Last edited:
Tried to scan the model 300dpi on 8.5"x11" yellow background. I will end up cutting off their tabs/slots and making my own glue tabs for a more conventional cardstock build rather than using their no-glue tab/slot method of assembly.

I should have scanned the instructions, will post that later.

Attachments

• SLS-NP-2016_03-25-MSFC.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 93
cover page and instructions for NASA SLS punchout model. Looks like these were intended to be handouts to a class room where the kids could build them in class with no glue or special tools. Very clever and nice model to go along with the Orion. With out cut lines drawn in the booklet, this would be hard to provide a PDF you can download and print those white parts, that were pre-cut punch out parts in the booklet. The slots are kind of hard to see in the scan, you have to line up where the tabs would go and figure that out, or just make your own glue tabs.

Attachments

• SLS_instructions.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
Thanks! This one will probably just be for display. I already have a flyable Dr. Zooch SLS. But, I do like the idea of this very lightweight version with a drag cone instead of flame fins. Could make probably modify this one to be rear eject and use a simple fin can or drag cone like this and just stick the paper model on top of it.

The yellow display stand was just a simple design I put together, not part of the template from NASA.

Back