Saturn V, Kennedy Space Center, etc...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limd21

Reaction score
I last visited the Cape back when I was about 8 yrs old, and to this day (30+ years later) have some pretty good memories of that visit.

Yesterday, I took my own family, including a 4yr old with a healthy interest in all things that fly, over to the Kennedy Space Center.

All I can say is *wow*. The Saturn V building/display alone was worth the price of admission. This particular rocket was one of three (out of a total of 20 built) that never flew. It has been restored to what the KSC staff calls "Smitsonian standards" - I don't know what that means, but the display is simply beyond awe inspiring. The sheer complexity and scale are unreal. The thing is just outrageously enormous. It's one of those sights that will always have impact beyond words. It sort of reminds me of the feeling I get every time I see the Grand Canyon (and I've been there several times, too! The feeling nevery changes.) Even as a child of the space race, it's one of those "must see" sights people should actively seek. I highly recommend this visit.

The "Rocket Garden" right by the visitor's center is also very interesting, though much smaller in scale, of course.

Of course, I've always wanted to build a Saturn V, but never "got around to it". When my 4yr old gets older, I think it might be something we'll just need to tackle.

Originally posted by limd21
Even as a child of the space race, it's one of those "must see" sights people should actively seek. I highly recommend this visit.

I totally agree...... I went several years ago and watched STS-95 with John Glenn launch....... My family is planning a trip to seaworld this spring, I might have to stop for a few hours and see it again........

I was there for the first time in November, the best trip I have ever taken. I remember my reaction after walking out of the Apollo 8 Mission Control Room exhibit and seeing the engines of that Saturn V...the first words out of my mouth were...WOW!

I am so very happy they have restored one of the most important monuments to human achievement...The Saturn V!

I visited about 10 years ago and (then) I was disgusted with the condition of the rocket on display. Something that important to human history should not have pealing paint and bird nests in the engine bell!

I guess I need to plan another trip!

I could go for some "space ice cream"!

sandman

I was lucky enough to see one of the final Saturn 1B launches when I was seven years old, and will never forget feeling my body tremble at the sound. Can't imagine what a V was like.

Sandman, I'm with you. I last visted KSC about 12 years ago and that booster was in a sorry state. We're going to see the Mouse next spring and I can't wait to take our boys to see a properly restored Saturn V. I've heard the whole Apollo exhibit built around it is just outstanding.

Speaking of Saturn Vs, I'll have some updates to my construction thread soon. It's been slow this week because of work - won't be able to get to again until Monday at least.

I was 6 when I got to see Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 liftoff , and its funny, to this day I compare the memory of the pounding on my chest to the other Rockets I've seen lift off, and while they are amazing, that Saturn Thump still burns brightly in my mind.

I've been to KSC 34 times, mostly because I have an Uncle that worked there for 24 years. He kidnapped me on 6 or 7 different occasions - so to speak - and we took off for the Cape on our own. He spoiled me, getting me into places that were restricted and talking to astronauts - to this day its my favorite memory.

He and his wife never had children, so I was the reciepient of his attention. Through him I gained a love for Rockets, and have a photo I'll have to post sometime which is near and dear to me - John Glenn and Neill Armstrong kneeling down on either side of me with the astronaut on the moon display in the background - yeah, the one where you could put your head into the helmet and it looked like you were there. 8)

I remember running up to them and saying.." Wow, your John Glenn, and your Neill Armstrong, and them saying " You sure know alot about us ". My mom was there, and she said, he idolizes you. Which is very true.

I've returned many times since, and always start crying when I see the Saturn. Andrew died in 1988, and I'm forever grateful for what he shared with me.

If you've not been to KSC, you owe it to yourself to do the full tour, and take tons of photos. Its that good...

Silverleaf, you are a lucky man to be able to go "behind" the scenes at the Kennedy Space Center. I was born early enough to be able to see the Apollo launches, but my parents were in a "hippy" and "anti-society" part of their lives and did not care to show me these things.

I am green with envy that you have met John Glenn and Neill Armstrong and would love to see the picture....

I went to KSC for the first time 2 weeks ago, got to see an Atlas launch.
walking into that room and seeing that Saturn V hanging there was just incredible! truly overwelmed at the size of that thing. and then to see how TINY the Apollo capsule was!

Originally posted by Adam Selene
walking into that room and seeing that Saturn V hanging there was just incredible! truly overwelmed at the size of that thing. and then to see how TINY the Apollo capsule was!

I totally agree; it's absolutely breathtaking.

Then again, you go out to the Rocket Garden at KSC, and see a Redstone standing out there, and think to yourself, "someone went into space on top of that little thing???"

I visited KSC about five-six years ago or so. Viewing the Saturn V (restored!) was one of two out-of-body experiences in my life. I too was moved to tears!

Silverleaf, you have GOT to scan that photo and post it.

My dad worked for GE and in the early 60s helped test-fire the engines used in the Saturn series first stage. I was only two when he was transferred from Huntsville, so no cool behind-the-scenes stories. He has, as a memento, a "ZD" statuette honoring him for his zero-defect work on the project. it's really cool.

Originally posted by graylensman
My dad worked for GE and in the early 60s helped test-fire the engines used in the Saturn series first stage. I was only two when he was transferred from Huntsville, so no cool behind-the-scenes stories. He has, as a memento, a "ZD" statuette honoring him for his zero-defect work on the project. it's really cool.

My father-in-law was on the Saturn project at that time, as well. He observed a static firing of the first stage engines from a presumably-safe bunker. Apparently the flames extended a bit further than planned -- everyone in the bunker was convinced they would be roasted alive as the flames kept coming, and coming....

Viewing the Saturn V (restored!) was one of two out-of-body experiences in my life. I too was moved to tears!

that's putting it mildly!!!

we went to KSC last week, spent a couple days there. the kids loved the rocket garden and the shuttle ... but we spend a loooooooong time looking at the Saturn V!!!

it does move you to tears, it is the greatest accomplishment of mankind.

Back