Saturn V from Arkansas [Estes #2157]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, time to do a little work on a Wrap.

The 3M77 spray adhesive did not work well on the edge of the wraps. The edges kept lifting up.

So, I took some 30 minute epoxy, and spread it UNDER the edge, using a toothpick. I then took a piece of scrap 1/8" plywood, placed it over the edges to hold them down, then put rubberbands around the Main Body Tube to press down on the plywood (which presses down on the Wrap).

Hopefully, I did not glue the plywood to my rocket.

NOTE: Just realized I should have put wax paper between the plywood and the Wrap, to make sure I didn't glue it all together. :mad:

m_IMG_0037small.jpg

Joe, is that a picture of the thicker LOC tube with the wrap around it? Your picture is timely - I was just considering whether I should replace the thin tube with a thicker, LOC tube I happened to have around.
I'm using tube couplers to reinforce the thin tube. I will even use a coupler between the centering rings.

Well, my buddies in Memphis have requested that I "save" my rocket for the July launch commemorating the Apollo landing. So, I am saving my Saturn V.

Hi everyone, I'm also building this kit (Estes #1969). I'm wondering about what's more authentic: gloss or flat black and white paints? I'm also wondering about the best way to mask the corrugated interstage couplers, horizontally. I got a hold of some Tamiya tape, but brushed on paint still leaked through. I had to wipe a little off with thinner.

If you apply the tape and then give the join a quick coat of the underlying color it seals the tape edge. This is the suggested method in the 001969 kit.

How was the Tamiya tape? Worked well otherwise?

If you apply the tape and then give the join a quick coat of the underlying color it seals the tape edge. This is the suggested method in the 001969 kit.

How was the Tamiya tape? Worked well otherwise?

Yes, I brushed on Testor's Aluminum with Tamiya tape on the fairings just a few hours ago and considering the little experience I have masking model kits, I'am very satisfied with the results. The ridges are spaced further apart so applying the tape was easier than on the interstages (incidentally, to glue the fins and fairings, I first used HDP Medium CA everywhere I could, and once dry, I added Lepage Carpenter's glue fillets everywhere I could inside the fairings):

fairings.JPG
For the upper 3rd stage, I tried spray painting Rust-O-Leum Semi-Gloss Black (2 coatings over Rust-O-Leum flat white primer), masked with Tamiya tape and no other tricks. This side turned out great, but the other bled 4 or 5 places (see far right), so it's good, but not perfectly reliable over ridges:

TopStage3.JPG
Next time, I'll try coating with the underlying colour first. According to some, it seems like a clear coat can also work.

I'm building the new Estes kit and have gotten as far a priming. The ribbed plastic wraps are going to be difficult. Some of them require masking in the direction of the ribbing (vertical) which will be easy. Buy many of them require masking across the ribbing (horizontal) which strikes me as a nightmare. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

20190522_203503.jpg 20190522_203646.jpg

Buy many of them require masking across the ribbing (horizontal) which strikes me as a nightmare. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?
My master plan is to use masking tape and tamp it into the corrugations using a specially crafted tool. A Popsicle stick which has been sharpened a little. I will then seal the edges of the tape with the same base color, as suggested in the instructions.

Here is a link to the launch of my Saturn V at Memphis.

The flight was a bit perplexing. In 5 to 10 mph winds, was expecting the rocket to nose over, into the wind. Instead, the rocket went straight up. :eek:o_O

Good flight, good chute deployment.

Back