Saturn V from Arkansas [Estes #2157]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had hoped to be telling you about my first launch of the Saturn V...…..

But with 10 to 12 mph winds, gusting to 15 mph, I decided to hold off on a launch. :oops:

This afternoon, the winds were out of the east/southeast at 7 mph (that is what my $25 anemometer said).

In this pic, I am looking north/northeast. The wind is from the right to left in the pic (from the east). The rocket has a 5 degree lean to the left (west).

I was guessing that the rocket would track into the wind, and I was trying to compensate. Which was kind of right.

LAUNCH ROD
I am using a 3/16 inch launch rod; the top of the launch rod is at the black band on the rocket!

Ok, this gets a bit weird.....o_Oo_Oo_O The launch lugs on the rocket are 1/4 inch. But the instructions repeatedly say use a 3/16 inch rod. I tried the rocket on a 1/4 inch rod, but the lower launch lug seemed to be really bad about catching on the rod, AFTER the top launch lug had cleared the launch rod.

Consequently, I used the 3/16" rod.

m_IMG_4092small.jpg

Nearing apogee. The high speed of the camera makes conditions look a little darker than they actually were.

m_IMG_2928small.jpg

Canapies. The rocket and nose came down almost beside each other. Landed about 75 yards west of the launch pad (downwind).

m_IMG_2942small.jpg

The escape tower fix is pretty easy, looks like a clean break and the legs were fine. Looks like you had a "tower jet(tison)" command on the ground instead of after first stage and skirt separation like on the real thing but close enough. I've broken the one on mine many times and it's never flown (or been painted...in fact I'm going to probably build a new one instead.

Back