Saturn V engine cluster modification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Culver

Reaction score
In anticipation of Apollo 11's 50 th anniversary next year I have the Limited Edition Saturn V on the go.
My question is whether anyone out there has modified the engine mount to accomodate 5 engines and if so what was the configuration. I'm thinking the middle one will be a D and the outter 4 will be C's. Would love to talk to someone whose done this especially on the model I'm building.

I would recommend all of them being Quest Q-Jet 18mm D16-4 motors (or C12-4 motors for 'small fields').

I would recommend all of them being Quest Q-Jet 18mm D16-4 motors (or C12-4 motors for 'small fields').

I second that, having seen several Saturn V's lawn dart because the BP 18mm motors just aren't enough. Now, getting all five motors to light is a different challenge...

Question on cluster ignition of composite motors: Wouldn't getting simultaneous ignition of a cluster of composite motors be more difficult than BP? There's the lag for build up of pressure, and the higher impulse at ignition, meaning if one or more motors ignites early the igniters of the other engines would be pulled out and the motors would not ignite. Is on board electronic ignition (as in a staged composite cluster) using light weight batteries a viable alternative? Never fired a composite cluster before. Thanks.

Question on cluster ignition of composite motors: Wouldn't getting simultaneous ignition of a cluster of composite motors be more difficult than BP? There's the lag for build up of pressure, and the higher impulse at ignition, meaning if one or more motors ignites early the igniters of the other engines would be pulled out and the motors would not ignite. Is on board electronic ignition (as in a staged composite cluster) using light weight batteries a viable alternative? Never fired a composite cluster before. Thanks.

Q-Jets are BlackMax propellant.

They ignite FAST.

Saw a cluster of 5 or 6 at NARAM-60.

I cut out mine and put in an engine mount for the 29mm BP engine E16-6. Wow, great height, and a real treat for all to watch. Launched it this past weekend in fact. Mine is the COX 1970 issue from when I was just a kid.

Attachments

• ignition.png
    ignition.png
    845.3 KB · Views: 86
  • liftoff.png
    liftoff.png
    785 KB · Views: 79
  • soring .png
    soring .png
    616.7 KB · Views: 81
I've seen folks set a stake with the igniter whip hanging down for extra time on composite clusters.

I've seen folks set a stake with the igniter whip hanging down for extra time on composite clusters.
That's smart. But if I were to cluster composites, I think I would play it safe and wire it to a power source onboard, with a wireless switch. Greater chance of all motors igniting. There are lightweight, compact LiPO batteries now and mini switches. Guess a timer would work as well. Similar to staged composite motor ignition.

I cut out mine and put in an engine mount for the 29mm BP engine E16-6. Wow, great height, and a real treat for all to watch. Launched it this past weekend in fact. Mine is the COX 1970 issue from when I was just a kid.

That is a fascinating idea as I contemplate building a #2157 version (using the updated plastic fins) myself.

Back