Saturn V Cluster Launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermanjc

Reaction score
Launched the Saturn V a couple times today. Each attempt was with 2xEstes C6-3s and 1xEstes C5-3.

On the first flight the center engine did not ignite (operator error) and the alligator clips on the whip were strong enough to hold on and keep the rocket low altitude. The rocket went straight up and then made an almost perfect 90 degree horizontal maneuver. Reminded me of some missile launches I've seen. Made for an interesting slow motion launcher view. Thankfully the rocket sustained no damage.

View attachment 9-6-2020_SaturnV_Flight1_FieldView.mp4
View attachment 9-6-2020_SaturnV_Flight1_LauncherView.mp4

Second flight was less interesting, but still very exciting. It actually successfully reused the center C5-3 motor from the first flight after the igniter was replaced.
View attachment 9-6-2020_SaturnV_Flight2_FieldView.mp4
View attachment 9-6-2020_SaturnV_Flight2_LauncherView.mp4

That second flight was beautiful. I assume that’s the Estes 1/100? Did you add nose weight for the modification?

That second flight was beautiful. I assume that’s the Estes 1/100? Did you add nose weight for the modification?
Thank you. It's not a kit actually. 100% scratch built, including the tubes (build thread here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/first-scratch-build-saturn-v.67840/) Scale is about 1/107. Motor pod can take 5 motors, but I only added enough nose weight to account for 3, so the 8 launches to date have all used only 3 motors. Probably won't ever try flying it on 5 as I would have to add even more nose weight and just increase the risk of 1 or more motors failing to ignite.

Back