Saturn V Apollo 11 Build (Estes #2157) COMPLETE!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred,

The "work order" for this one came out beautifully!!

Nice job!

I will start mine this winter and follow your build thread for guidance.

Fred,

The "work order" for this one came out beautifully!!

Nice job!

I will start mine this winter and follow your build thread for guidance.

:cheers:

Be sure to do a Build Thread so we can all follow along....seems like everyone likes to watch a Saturn Build!

Is there a Saturn 1B kit at 1:100 scale out there somewhere? I'd LOVE to have one next to my (in-progress) Saturn V!

That's gorgeous, I just don't think I have a scratch-build in me.....maybe i'll make a 1:100 paper model.

They all so have some on eBay but most are pricey. I am hoping to order one before they are gone in the next 24 hours.

Here is one if the bidding does not go too high.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-2157...011878234?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4d11d86d5a

$41 for shipping? I don't think so. You have to watch out for this....when I bought mine I got one of the $64.99 one's with $15 shipping. All told, with shipping, tax, whatever...to my door; $80 seemed to be the low end of the cost for a 2157, from a reliable source. (one I felt comfortable buying from) And I looked at a BUNCH of them.....

If you want one, at a fair price from a reliable, trustworthy supplier:

Estes #2157 Saturn V

$79.95 plus $12 shipping is reasonable and fair. You could go through ALOT of heartache and trouble just to save $10 elsewhere.....

$41 for shipping? I don't think so. You have to watch out for this....when I bought mine I got one of the $64.99 one's with $15 shipping. All told, with shipping, tax, whatever...to my door; $80 seemed to be the low end of the cost for a 2157, from a reliable source. (one I felt comfortable buying from) And I looked at a BUNCH of them.....

If you do a search you can get them some cheaper. Some are wanting over $100 plus shipping no way. The one I am looking at is $80 with priority shipping. If I go first class will save me about $5 but for $5 I rather get it here quicker.
Here is one with shipping around $80. There shipping is high but end price is not too bad. Correct me if I am wrong but I think MSRP was $75. The price is going to keep going up so if you want one you might have to pay but they are available for now.
https://store.heavenlyhobbies.com/03-024-2157.html
Jeff

May years ago I got one of the original ones I think came out in the 70s but like many of my rockets I throw it away.

In 1971 around the time I got my first Estes Saturn V The cost $16.50. Here is a picture of the 1970s model and box like I had.

There is one on eBay bidding is at $50 and shipping is $10.95.

est_saturnv_2001_05.jpg

Last edited:
If you want one, at a fair price from a reliable, trustworthy supplier:

Estes #2157 Saturn V

$79.95 plus $12 shipping is reasonable and fair. You could go through ALOT of heartache and trouble just to save $10 elsewhere.....

Thanks for the link. I'm not going to go nuts to save $10 either. I am just trying to keep my eyes open for the occasionally occuring amazing deal, as this will go into a lengthy build queue. The pile isn't too deep, but will take some time to get through, all are between challenging and "what was I thinking" by my standards (Semroc Mars Lander, Saturn 1B and Orbital Transporter; Estes Renegade D; and a TLP Krypton; along with an upscale 2.56" Satellite Interceptor scratch build). So I should be ready for it in about 2016...hence, no rush.

Incidentally, I had to open the Saturn 1B when it arrived to marvel at it, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the kit (Not suprising being a Semroc kit). If you're thinking of going that route I got mine from Jonrocket.com for a good price and the box was packed really well, which is important in a vendor as my post office takes "fragile" and "handle with care" as a direct challenge.

I just ordered mine from E rockets and it was the last one they had. Price with priority post office was just a little over $80. If people want on I recommend getting one as soon as possible as they are going quick and the price will be going up. We have all ready seen this happening.

Actually, that is a serious consideration. I have this saved to my Watch List:

View attachment 144032

It's a paper model, heavy cardstock and reinforced with foamboard where needed. Looking closely at the details an intricacies of it....man it's gonna be a tough one I think. The rewards however....and compliment to the rocket....priceless....

Fred, I know you may take this suggestion as 'over the edge', but I would not rule out using that tower (paper, tho it is) to actually launch your model. I've had one out of balsa from back around 1970...

(see: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?19611-SCALE-Saturn-V-Gallery&p=568068#post568068 )

... and with the smallish motors used on a 1:100, even paper is not much at risk (on my LUT, the yellow 'blast deflectors' right around the flame opening is simply yellow painted poster board and even here (with AeroTech E motors + 4 mini-A outboards), there is, at most, just a little 'smoke flash'). It just doesn't hang around long enough to do any flame damage. Some slight re-engineering on the launcher platform (mine was 3/4" plywood painted gray) would probably all that would be needed. This model has seen literally dozens of launches and no damage past that 'smoke flash' has ever occurred. Since my tower is 'semi-scale', I'm thinking, instead of rebuilding a 'true scale' from scratch, just getting one of these paper models. I think one would be surprised how safe it would be in this application.

It's just some thoughts, but I wouldn't rule it out.

-- john.

jcato...your pictures of your LC 39 are SPECTACULAR!! thanks for posting them! I missed your earlier posting of the pics. I can;t imagine meeting the folks that you did, including Rocco Petrone, George Mueller in addition to the astronauts! just really really cool stuff!

Fred, I know you may take this suggestion as 'over the edge', but I would not rule out using that tower (paper, tho it is) to actually launch your model. I've had one out of balsa from back around 1970...

(see: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?19611-SCALE-Saturn-V-Gallery&p=568068#post568068 )

... and with the smallish motors used on a 1:100, even paper is not much at risk (on my LUT, the yellow 'blast deflectors' right around the flame opening is simply yellow painted poster board and even here (with AeroTech E motors + 4 mini-A outboards), there is, at most, just a little 'smoke flash'). It just doesn't hang around long enough to do any flame damage. Some slight re-engineering on the launcher platform (mine was 3/4" plywood painted gray) would probably all that would be needed. This model has seen literally dozens of launches and no damage past that 'smoke flash' has ever occurred. Since my tower is 'semi-scale', I'm thinking, instead of rebuilding a 'true scale' from scratch, just getting one of these paper models. I think one would be surprised how safe it would be in this application.

It's just some thoughts, but I wouldn't rule it out.

-- john.

Wow! Those are some amazing pictures....eclipsed only by your amazing experience connecting with history. Saying "extremely well done" is an understatement......

One thing I learned (among the many things) while building my Saturn V, is the "Cult of Saturn"....while researching the many models, builds, details and trying to learn what I could before starting and while building....when you enter the wold of Saturn, you step into a whole other realm of model rocketry....one that can really stand on it's own....with some spectacular scale models of not just the rocket, but everything else....where skills are exceptional....and passions run high enough for fisticuffs.....

I came across several really cool launch videos on YouTube...launching from the paper scale LUT....slow motion effects, original launch audio overlays....really a tremendous effort on the part of the rocketeer to recreate the Apollo Mission Era. Some folks really immerse themselves in the experience and creation of an authentic launch. An effort and level of commitment above and beyond....

I know Sam.....I know......maybe I'll get lucky and score a Gemini Titan.....then I'll launch the Redstone/Liberty Bell, Gemini Titan, Saturn V Apollo 11.....we'll have a Space Race tribute!

After finishing my Mercury Atlas scratchy, I have the full set...our July launch was rained out (can you imagine that...Oklahoma...July...rain out?) I had planned a "Man in Space" tribute, but made this montage instead: Centuri Mercury Redstone, my MA, a GT clone, my scratch 1/100th Saturn 1B, and my Centuri Saturn V.

At our August launch I did haul all of these out to fly, and cluster gremlins attacked big time!!! The GT took off on 1 motor, arced over, and hit the ground, smashing the nose adapter. My Saturn V took off on 3 C6-3s which all appear to have lit, but it did a loop and nearly hit, but the chutes popped about 10 ft off the ground :shock: no real damage (the earlier posts about those vacuform fins--mine have survived two rough landings with nary a scratch)...

So no fear Fred!!! These babies were meant to fly!!!

ManInSpaceMontage.jpg

The Saturn V is a beauty, but I would never try to fly one. If anything went wrong, all that work could wind up being for nothing. I do have a plastic 1/100 scale static display model of the Saturn V that I built from an old unopened kit I got off ebay about 10 years ago. It took 6 months to build, and including the kit I probably have about $120 into it. Even though it dates back to the mid '60s, I still consider the Saturn V to be the high point of U.S. achievement in space exploration. I seriously doubt it could be duplicated today, even with all the advances in technology. It took more than technology to build that beast, it took dedication and determination on a scale I don't think we have today.

jcato...your pictures of your LC 39 are SPECTACULAR!! thanks for posting them! I missed your earlier posting of the pics. I can;t imagine meeting the folks that you did, including Rocco Petrone, George Mueller in addition to the astronauts! just really really cool stuff!

Thanks, Rick - glad you enjoyed them. Those were some special days, to be sure - and memories for a lifetime. We were very fortunate to have a few contacts at KSC that opened the 'doors' for us. I'm still digging for some of the photos from the 25th Anniversary, so there may be more posted.

One slight correction (not that it matters a whole lot, but this is kind of 'who I am' <g>): the setup (for the 30th Anniversary) with Jack King and George Mueller was actually on July 16th - and the ceremony was the *groundbreaking* (instead of the dedication) of the Apollo Memorial. That groundbreaking occurred right at 9:32 AM (Apollo 11 liftoff) and, as I recall, Jack King introduced that, as well. Our flight was the following day (July 17), again, at the Visitor's Center.

But, again, this was some more experience for both Earl and I -- and I am gratified that you have enjoyed it as well - it's always nice when others appreciate your work (as most of the folks out here already know).

-- john.

Wow! Those are some amazing pictures....eclipsed only by your amazing experience connecting with history. Saying "extremely well done" is an understatement......

Fred, I post that info in the hopes of encouragement (or inspiration) to consider, if you decide to fly your model, doing it with "all the trimmings". You've done such a nice job with your Saturn V that it's flight would only be enhanced by the 'full dress' experience. Trust me - it's worth it. Once you set that vehicle beside that tower, it will change how you look at it. Once you press the launch button and watch it rise past that tower and into the heavens, you will be transported back into the '60s and the excitement of Man's first journey to another celestial body will flood over you - Apollo will be alive again. Considering Jack King's commentary is available on the web, it will only be even better with that.

Think of the little children that can't possibly know what Apollo was (or many adults, even) -- that will be inspired by that launch - some may go into Aerospace specifically because of it. It's happened before. Over and over.

-- john.

p.s. on the technical side, you can simply mock-up the hold-downs and blast deflectors out of poster board or Bristol paper (to scale, of course) to get a feel (through a test launch or two) for how benign some model rocket motors would be - to satisfy yourself that no damage would come to the full tower. I'm quite confident you will find it a trivial threat. If you need some data, go check out the Yahoo LUT_group (I'm a moderator over there) - we've got a gold mine of info on many aspects of LC 39... https://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LUT_Group/
--jhc.

So no fear Fred!!! These babies were meant to fly!!!

You tell me all that then say "no fear"?.......:wink:

Fred, I post that info in the hopes of encouragement (or inspiration) to consider, if you decide to fly your model, doing it with "all the trimmings". You've done such a nice job with your Saturn V that it's flight would only be enhanced by the 'full dress' experience. Trust me - it's worth it.

I hear ya....and like I said it's a serious consideration.....but man that LUT model sure looks like alot of work.....alot of careful trimming and fitting.....that's going to take some serious man hours.....but I do agree it should be worth it. I'm also having some issues coughing up $80 for a bunch of sheets of paper....and I still have to provide foam backer and balsa....I have to borrow money from my rocket budget as I'm looking to buy a new telescope....so thats in the mix too....

After finishing my Mercury Atlas scratchy, I have the full set...our July launch was rained out (can you imagine that...Oklahoma...July...rain out?) I had planned a "Man in Space" tribute, but made this montage instead: Centuri Mercury Redstone, my MA, a GT clone, my scratch 1/100th Saturn 1B, and my Centuri Saturn V.

David, is your GT clone a commercially available kit or did you scratch-build it? If commercially available I'd be curious as to how and where to obtain one. I'm assuming by clone you mean something other than the old Estes kit.

Thanks,

Mark

David, is your GT clone a commercially available kit or did you scratch-build it? If commercially available I'd be curious as to how and where to obtain one. I'm assuming by clone you mean something other than the old Estes kit.

Thanks,

Mark

I cloned the Estes GTII from info on JimZ, YORF, and parts by Semroc. I used lexan fins. There is discussion of my build also on that YORF thread.

Back