Saturn V 1/70

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyward

Reaction score
Hello. Well I’ve been out of the game for a couple years but have always wanted to build the classic Saturn V 1/70 scale. Specifically, with a cluster configuration. I just don’t like it only going up about 500 feet and it would look very cool in a 5 cluster configuration. Does anyone have any input or know of any modification kits for such a thing. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

The Apogee kit is the only 1/70th kit still in production. Search around, I think people have done something like what you suggest. I know Boris Katan built a clustered Sirius 1/64th Saturn, see https://www.rocketreviews.com/sirius-rocketry-saturn-v-164--by-boris-katan.html but the Sirius kit is OOP.

I recently built the Apogee kit stock and am completely satisfied flying it to 500 feet, but we all have different goals.

If you have access to 3D printing, you may want to consider printing the major elements (if not the whole thing) and not using the old-style vacuform-and-resin approach that most kits have used, especially if you don't need to make it very lightweight. IMHO, that was 95% of the things I didn't like about the Apogee kit.

Last edited:
Hello. Well I’ve been out of the game for a couple years but have always wanted to build the classic Saturn V 1/70 scale. Specifically, with a cluster configuration. I just don’t like it only going up about 500 feet and it would look very cool in a 5 cluster configuration. Does anyone have any input or know of any modification kits for such a thing. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
I built the Apogee Saturn V many years ago, and wish I'd made it a five-motor cluster.

Speculating: the Saturn has a pretty standard motor mount arrangement with a 29 mm MMT and cardboard centering rings. If I was doing it over I'd re-do the cardboard in 1/8" plywood, drilled for four more 29 mm MMTs.

Five F motors ought to take it to well above 1000 feet but I'd use lower-average-thrust motors. It is, after all, a very light rocket and not intended for the equivalent of an H motor.

Best -- Terry

I built a 1/52nd Saturn V. All 3D printed. Mine only has a central 54mmt. But if you go the Thingiverse and look up Daves Rocket shop you can find the files to use.

Five F motors ought to take it to well above 1000 feet but I'd use lower-average-thrust motors.
And of course that would put it into Class 2 HPR territory from propellant mass, if that matters. You would almost certainly need more nose weight, obviously.

Depending on exactly what you're going for, I could imagine that 5x24mm might be viable. 5xE12 is still over the Class 1 propellant mass limit. APCP would work, 5xE6, maybe?

The chutes on the Apogee kit are fairly large to limit landing speed and damage, so if you are flying to a high altitude, be prepared for a lot of drift, or use some form of dual deploy or chute release.

Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll keep everyone in the loop as I progress. I suspect this will be a very long project. I just really like the idea of the cluster because of its accuracy. Thanks again!

I’m currently building an Apogee Saturn V with a 5 motor cluster configuration. Below are a couple pictures. I had the centering rings laser cut for a central 29mm and 4 24mm. I also had the centering rings for the 5 motor tubes and nozzles laser cut. The motor tubes are foil lined from BMS. This is a slow work in progress, and I’m making stuff up as I go along.

The first question you need to ask is do you really want to hack up a nice kit. These kits are expensive, though I got mine at a more reasonable price on eBay a while ago. I think a lot of people purchased Saturn V’s for the Anniversary, but decided not to build them.

Search the forum, others have done similar, especially with the Estes Saturn V. I plan to do a similar build with the Estes Skylab.

2AC30595-6921-468A-BA9A-E32A18F2030F.jpeg8BAFED11-C0DA-441A-ADD5-2CD1586D9D64.jpeg

Very expensive rocket to risk on a cluster.

Oh wow!!!! That this precisely what I’d like to build and yes, I anticipate the build to take a year to complete. I was hoping there would be some mod kits out there but no big deal….I’ll just build my own modifications. I’m pretty handy and good at these things but pics and first hand experience are invaluable. Thanks everyone!!!!

Boyce Aerospace Hobbies 3D prints the Saturn V fin can in 1:100 Scale, but might be able to make it in the Scale you need.

A club member had a 1:30 Scale Saturn V. It had a central 54mm motor and four outer 38mm. He only lit the central motor using a big enough motor to fly the rocket safely. The electronics sensed the thrust and air started the 4 outer motors. It flew great! Not very high, I think it had 30 lbs of lead in the apollo capsule for nose weight.

Back