Saturn a good kit??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman 13

Reaction score
I got the Saturn 2 years ago and I let my best friend build it and it was a pain.Most of the kit is plastic and the fins are very flimsy and the fake boosters that the fins attach to broke when we cut it out with an Eacto knife.(It was sharp)Also the plastic wrap that goes around the body tube never stuck with the elmers glue so we treid to tape it and let it dry but still it fell apart.Is this why they stoped making them?Or is my freind a really bad rocket maker?Or was it a mistake for it to be plastic. Note it is nt the Saturn 1B Thanks Rocketman 13

The Estes Saturn V is the kit I assume you are talking about.

This is a "Master Series" kit and requires multiple construction skills.

Glueing completely different materials together is one of these skill. Elmer's glue is the wrong glue for the body wraps!

The "flimsy" vacuform plastic parts are not supposed to be "cut out". You are supposed to score them with the Exacto knofe and break them off (sorta like cutting glass).

Seems to me...ya didn't read the directions. Ya can't just look at the pictures!

Take some pics of what you have...let's see if we can help you fix it.

sandman

It is the Saturn V
We followed the instructions very closly and looked at the pictures.

The problem is I would love to fix it but my friend cut the fake booster thing wrong it is very flimsy and also do you have any suggustions on how to get the plastic that goes around the body tube to stick together?Use plastic Cement?

I will try to send some pictures of the damage later on tonight when my dad shows me how to work the digital camera. Thanks Rocketman 13

The instrruction "specify" the type of glue to use on the wrap! It does NOT say use Elmer's.

I used contact cement on mine and it's holding just fine.

I have some extra booster parts. Show me what's damaged. We'll go from there.

sandman

Thanks for all your help Sandman also I checked the instructions and it says to spray adhesive on the vacuum wrap.(Whats that?)I need the whole FAIRING SHEET.Who much is that going to cost me?If you can give me that I can finish the Saturn and I will show my Friend how to do it right. Thanks Rocketman 13

Rocketman13,

Listen carefully!!

Make a list of all the damaged parts you need to replace. Be very fastidious about it, don't leave anything out!

Make this list by using the part numbers on the instruction sheet, well actually it's an instruction book.

After the list of what is damaged and needs replacement is completed

Call 1-800-525-7561 X 216

this is Christine in customer service at Estes. Be nice to her, 'cause she can help you. If she is not in leave a message, she WILL call you back!

Remember, a lot of these kits have been sold and built since 1969 they must be doing something right!

sandman

Are the Saturn V kits back in production or are they still discontinued? Some places have them listed as discontinued on their sites and others have it listed when they didn't have them at all before.

Peace :cool:

Mike

Apparently, yes, it still is in production!

Go to the Estes site...yea yea yea...I know... just click on the "Online Store". On the top all the way on the right.

Estes has 'em on sale for $69.99

sandman

You can also get a set of cast resin fins & shrouds (complete assembly) from moldin' oldies. I may get them for my Saturn but first I'm going to try filling the parts with PML 2-part foam.

By the way Sandman, I will be starting a thread on that in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna knock out my LOC Weasel next week then it's time for the "big un".

P.S. I'm also going to Magnum to pick up a 29mm motor tube and new centering rings. You can guess where this is going...:D

P.S. I'm also going to Magnum to pick up a 29mm motor tube and new centering rings. You can guess where this is going...

Man, I love the Saturn V but an Estes "D" engine was just never enough, always scared me.

The E30 from AT doesn't seem much better...just not sure.

But an F!!! That's a whole different story!

Now yer talkin!

Bunch faster than a D but still slow enough to look good.

sandman

They got one at our city hobby shop, and one at Lobby Hobby for somewhere around 100 bucks.

Originally posted by sandman
Man, I love the Saturn V but an Estes "D" engine was just never enough, always scared me.

Yep. And I tend to build heavy. This model especially will need some extra reinforcement so a 29mm is in order.
I'd read someone filled his Saturn's entire body tube with PML foam so I may try that. Might try it in the transition wraps as well- at the very least they'll be reinforced with basswood stringers.

This is gonna be fun! Now I need a digital camera to record it!

Originally posted by sandman

The E30 from AT doesn't seem much better...just not sure.

But an F!!! That's a whole different story!

Now yer talkin!

Bunch faster than a D but still slow enough to look good.

sandman

Sand, I agree to a point about the D motors. You're right, it just wasn't *enough* motor, but i loved the slow liftoff that the D12 provided.

But you got me to thinking... I'd be willing to bet that a cluster of 2 long burn E9's (or purhaps 3) would be Incredible! in the Saturn V !!

The BP cluster would produce *lots* of smoke and fire, and the long burn would look so cool as the thing screamed into the sky. And a 2-engine cluster of E9's would still produce a fairly slow liftoff.

Now don't get me thinking that way! I'd been considering a 4 x E9 cluster. I would've cut the engine bells to run the motor tubes through them (it just HAS to keep the bells in flight). But I haven't built a cluster yet and figured the Saturn V wouldn't be a good one to experiment with. Or could I be wrong?:D

P.S. Where's a good place to get custom centering rings, just in case?

Hey gang, first post at TRF and many more to come :D

Anyways, if you've got some extra time and a little skill you can modify an Estes Saturn V to fly on G & H power! Follow this link to find out how:

https://www.smartrocketry.com/INTRO/Member_Bio_s/Kirk_S/KS_SatV/ks_satv.html

There are some nice pics of it taking off too. I plan on trying this when I get caught up on all of my other projects so I should get it done a few days after heck freezes over. :rolleyes:

Well, it seemed like a good idea! Bonus Delay!

Aerotech single use motor worry me.

See, now this is the problem...I have a fear of the "bonus delay" that seems to come for free in almost all Aeotech motors. I'm sorry to besmirch AT but the truth is the truth! The delay designation ...to me...is just a guess on their part.

I flew my Commando Cody rocket on an 18mm Aerotech D21-4. It flew great!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2948&highlight=cody

Unfortunately the 4 sec delay was closer to 7 sec. The chute popped about 10 feet from the ground...soon enough to slow it down from terminal velocity (about 5 oz of lead in the nose!)...but the parachute did not survive at that speed...rocket was OK...just a little mud on the nose tip!

sandman

I sorta agree with sand about the single D motor in the Satrun-V being a bit weak. But in the 30 years I flew my original Saturn on 139 documented flights she never failed to do the job, except for the occasional CATO:( all but 3 flight were on D12 or D13's, I lost the 3 C cluster mount somewhere along the way.
I retired this model on our section number flight #139 at Goddard Space flight Center, 7-20-99, to commerate the 30th anniversary of Apollo-11 moon landing. Ya just can't beat those Slooow picture perfect lift-offs:)
I have a couple new ones waiting to be built just have to decide if I want to build another of the original 1969 versions or one of the laters reissues.

Back