Saturn 1B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stantonjtroy

Reaction score
One of my latest projects. My wife, seeing my HPR S1B, decided she wanted one she could fly. I decided to do a full scratch (mostly) as I wanted to keep my skills from getting stale. I know the overall diameter of the tube cluster is a little off. I didn't space the tank tubes quite enough. I'll fix it on the next one. The tank tubes are stock BT-5s and the MMT is a stock BT-20. All other tubes I rolled myself. I made most of the panel line details from decals (quicker than scribing). All surface details were scratched except for the corrigated wraps, those were Evergreen plastic. The only things left are the RCS clusters on the SM and the yellow blade antennas on the booster. Flight will be on an Estes C, Possibly an AT D reload. Should be ready for flight at Redglare VII.

S1B-1.jpg

Very, very nice, Great work. An HPR S1B? Can you post some more info on that?

Sadly it met its demise last year. I'll try to find a few pics. I based it on a 6" main body tube. It was originally set up for a 7 motor cluster. 3 29mm Core G's and 4 24mm outer F's. As they were all AP I used thermite fuses ignited from a single flashbulb. Made lots of smoke and fire under the rocket for a couple of seconds before full light. Looked awsome, Logistical pain. The bigest reason I went with the cluster is everyone told me It wouldn't work. I proved my point then converted it to a single 38mm. Flew great on a single I-161 for a number of flights then lost it to a chute failure. I had started making masters for tooling to make an all (or near all) composite version and possible make a limited run partial kit of the composite parts. I may get back to that now that I have a little more time.

Sadly it met its demise last year. I'll try to find a few pics. I based it on a 6" main body tube. It was originally set up for a 7 motor cluster. 3 29mm Core G's and 4 24mm outer F's. As they were all AP I used thermite fuses ignited from a single flashbulb. Made lots of smoke and fire under the rocket for a couple of seconds before full light. Looked awsome, Logistical pain. The bigest reason I went with the cluster is everyone told me It wouldn't work. I proved my point then converted it to a single 38mm. Flew great on a single I-161 for a number of flights then lost it to a chute failure. I had started making masters for tooling to make an all (or near all) composite version and possible make a limited run partial kit of the composite parts. I may get back to that now that I have a little more time.

<I'll try to find a few pics. I based it on a 6" main body tube. It was originally set up for a 7 motor cluster. 3 29mm Core G's and 4 24mm outer F's. As they were all AP I used thermite fuses ignited from a single flashbulb.>

I'd love to see a picture of that...sounds pretty wild...

Sadly this is the only pic I have. I actually built it about eight years ago but not long after the fuss with the BATF began I found myself going through a personal trial that forced me to mothball the Saturn and all of my HPR birds. Fast fwd; life is good, the kids are into model rocketry and the wife is now hooked. I can't say I'm too bummed over it's loss as I intended it as a developmental prototype. I'm going to take what I learned from it and produce a well detailed composite bird. The plan is to provide a well detailed, affordable, EASY TO BUILD rocket of a slightly overlooked subject. No offence to Sheri (she makes a good looking Saturn) but this is targeted as a level 2 build (HPR asside). I have many other builds in progress but this will be a priority (or at least be on the list :D).

HP-S1B-a.jpg

Looks awesome. If you ever decide to kit it let me know.

Back