Saturn 1B on eBay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks good in the pictures, but the line that scared me was "[I painted the black parts by hand]"... Lord I hope that doesn't mean he BRUSH painted it!:eek:

What's wrong with brush painting the black? I did that to my SEMROC Saturn
1-B I built last Fall for the LAUNCH/SEMROC Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration
event, and it came out excellent. Also doing the same for my Estes K-29 vintage Saturn 1-B I'm painting as I write this. A couple of pics below (first
is the LAUNCH/SEMROC Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration model just before it
was packed and shipped; the second is my K-29 model as it stands right now):

LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 007.jpg

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build.jpg

The only problem is with it being a 1B from the SkyLab mission. On all of the Skylab missions the tanks were all white. They dropped the alternating black tank scheme on these missions. Other than that it looks good.

Last edited:
Like all semroc kits the 1B is beautiful and just goes together well. I did mine in base white and then added blck by hand and spray cans :)

1b launch.jpg

The only problem is with it being a 1B from the SkyLab mission. On all of the Skylab missions the tanks were all white. They dropped the alternating black tank scheme on these missions. Other than that it looks good.

Actually, there are quite a few scale issues with Jeep's Saturn 1B. Service Module colors (silver with white radiators), the SM rockets are way too large, etc. The lack of white tanks is the most glaring, however.
Does look like he did a nice job of the finish work, regardless of the scale issues, though. Glad he got such a large sum!:D
Allen

His work does look decent, but I'm floored the price went so high. There were a bunch of these built for a special anniversary celebration for Walt Cunningham, attended by some "rock stars" of NASA's glory days. They were generally pretty high end craftsmanship, and other than the top 3 (autographed and returned to the builders) they all were sold off for $500 apiece, donated to a local charity.

I'll bet he still didn't clear $10/hour for the effort, but the fact that he got more for that one than the ones went for at Walt's gala really seems a little wacky...

I think a rocket holds more personal value if I build it myself. Where's the joy and satisfaction of buying one that is now basicly an expensive RTF?

Of course, that's just me.

Well you know what? He sold it for $575. Why don't some of you folks make a 100% accurate one and sell it... Maybe it will go for $1000:eek:

i think what the guy is doing is great.
he is promoting the hobby.

fact is, there are people with more money than time or patience.

this guy is filling a need.

and if I won the lottery, I'd buy from him.

Back