Saturn 1B Base Dimension

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daknife

Reaction score
I've been doing some scale models from the Saturn era and I've run up against a problem which I need some help on. I've looked through available drawings on the internet and most of them have the length of the base (the big ring below the tank tubes) as being about 138.5 inches. However, when I look at 1 to 70 scale models produced by Estes, Semroc and Apogee, the length of this ring (usually a BT-101 with an OD of 3.92") is approximately 2.8 inches. When converted to actual dimensions comes to 2.8*70 = 196 inches. Thats a pretty big difference. Unfortunately I don't have the Weeks drawings for the 1B so I'm not sure what it has.. I'd appreciate comments on the true length ring. I suppose it might have varied with different versions of the prototype.

270” on the real rocket for aft tail ring. 2.7” for 1/100 scale, 1/70 is 3.857” by 138.6” tall on real Rocket which is 1.38” tall at 100 scale.
The 1/70 scale 1b rockets from Estes and SEMROC have a non scale tail ring, theirs is to tall, most likely to better protect the oversized fins and rear of the Rocket on landings. The Apogee 1b is to scale.

Last edited:
These complicate the mater even more because they don't agree with either previously mentioned ones. Do you have the source?

Length per Alway's ROTW is 138.6 ".
270" is the dia.
The discrepancy with the models may be due to the fact that they use oversize fins for stability.

Yes, the vintage Estes 1/70 Saturn IB has a too-long tail ring to go with the oversized fins. If only to make it not look ridiculous. The taper of the conical shroud above the tail ring (with those cut-outs for the eight tanks) also has a too-gentle taper on the vintage Estes Kit, again, to accommodate the oversized fins. The Semroc kit is, as far as I know, a clone of the Estes kit, rather than an independent effort to make an accurate scale Saturn IB that happens to be the same scale.

Peter Alway

Great info. I will go with the actual dimensions and shift the weight forward. Thx.

I hope this helps. This is an actual NASA B/P. There are inch unit dimensions. I tried the post the entire package of prints but it is too large.Saturn 1B dimensions.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to have them.
Here is the link https://heroicrelics.org/info/saturn-i-and-ib/as-207-drawings.html You would be better off downloading these prints and manuals. I think the file I have might exceed typical email servers. This is for the Saturn 1B AS-207. BUT! Poke around this whole website. This guy who created this website has an incredible collection of blueprints, photos, public relations hand outs how to erect your Saturn for launch... It cover most programs dating back to the V2 research launches. This is where I found a lot of the info for my scratch built Saturn 1 SA-1. He has low rez images on the page with links to the BIG files towards the bottom.

Enjoy!

-T

I really need to break down and pull the trigger and buy an S1B to build. I know I would get into it. Its a time thing for me. Does anyone know if SEMROC will bring back their S1B? I should call them and find out.

I'm in the middle of a 1B scratch build (4 actually). The one relevant to this discussion is 1/70 scale. I ordered a BPC/LES Nosecone from Apogee; Fins, engine bells and surface details from Accur8; The corrugated wraps are Evergreen sheet and the rest is tubing I ordered from Erockets. There are many more surface details I've made from card stock, sheet styrene and the like. The scalloped conical transition at the base I made from 1/32" G10 sheet from McMaster. The pattern I just scalled up from the old Estes plan I got off of Jim Z's site ( If I recollect correct). 2 of the others are 1/100 scale built from the Estes plans/patterns. One is using a lower airframe/Scalloped cone I bought off of Shapeways ( https://www.shapeways.com/product/M...1-100th-scale?optionId=4445977&li=marketplace) It's not bad but for the other I think I'll scratch it. Additionally the two 1/100th models are using nosecones from Moldin Oldies and LES towers from Estes. I guess the point I'm trying to make is even though there is a VERY LIMITED offering of full kits, the amount of after-market parts and Plans/patterns makes scratch building a 1B fairly easy. Give it some thought.

Back