Saturday launch :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
Turned into a grey day but little wind so i decided to launch some rockets:) the first was a thrustline electra :)

electra.jpg

Next up was my maxi hojo. AS the CF used this rocket in the past I like it a lot :) It uses a D12-3 :)

hojo1.jpg

hojo2.jpg

hojo3.jpg

hojo4.jpg

Next up was my Mercury atlas. I really like the silver finish on theis rocket and i hope they bring it back somday for all to enjoy :)

atlas liftoff.jpg

atlas 1.jpg

atlas2.jpg

atlas 3.jpg

Next up was the flikits thunderbird. A great scale offerring from Fliskits :)

thunderbird 1.jpg

thunderbird 2.jpg

Sandman or Gordon creates some fine kits. I did not do his vostok justice but it's fun to fly :) If you get a chance to get one of these kits jump on it. One of these photos is what I would like my vostok to look like :)

vostok liftoff.jpg

vostok 1.jpg

fantasy vostok.jpg

Great, great pics as always, Fred, thanks for sharing. That Fliskits Thunderbird does look interesting. I also admire your Mercury-Atlas. When I built mine way back in the 90's I whimped out and used silver/aluminum paint. Didn't get the effect I was going for! :eek:

Great, great pics as always, Fred, thanks for sharing. That Fliskits Thunderbird does look interesting. I also admire your Mercury-Atlas. When I built mine way back in the 90's I whimped out and used silver/aluminum paint. Didn't get the effect I was going for! :eek:

Im sure it looks great :)
Cheers
fred

Nice Shots!!! What engine did you fly your Atlas on? I have 1 I built YEARS ago and have not flown it yet. John

A d12-5 was what I used. It seemed to work fine but i dont know if thats the recommended engine :)
Cheers
Fred

Impressive camera work, as always :) What motor did you use in the Tunderbird? (love that rocket! :) )

jim

Impressive camera work, as always :) What motor did you use in the Tunderbird? (love that rocket! :) )

jim

Thanks Jim it is one of your best IMO. I used a C6-5:( It deployed too close to the ground. I'm thinking a C6-3 would be less hair raising next time :)
Cheers
Fred

A d12-5 was what I used. It seemed to work fine but i dont know if thats the recommended engine :)
Cheers
Fred

D12-3 is recommended and that is what I have used in mine. The 5 is probably OK as Fred suggests but my thinking is that the extra 2 seconds could be a killer and I'd hate to crash this after all the labor I put into it. The chrome strips alone took many more hours than I'd like to think about. Hoping to get it in the air again at NERRF next month!

Glenn

D12-3 is recommended and that is what I have used in mine. The 5 is probably OK as Fred suggests but my thinking is that the extra 2 seconds could be a killer and I'd hate to crash this after all the labor I put into it. The chrome strips alone took many more hours than I'd like to think about. Hoping to get it in the air again at NERRF next month!

Glenn

I'd say you"re right. I had a windless day and a long launch rod but upon reflection a d12-3 would have been a better pick.
Cheers
fred

Glenn

I HAVE launched it with a 5. Its very hard on the nerves. I do not recommend it.

Next up was my Mercury atlas. I really like the silver finish on theis rocket and i hope they bring it back somday for all to enjoy :)
Nice flight - I'll bet it flies much better with the fins on Fred ;)

Nice flight - I'll bet it flies much better with the fins on Fred ;)

Ah you remember:p: It was not one of my sterling moments in rocketry:marshmallow: I did remeber this time though and the fins went on and it flew great :)
Cheers
Fred

Next up was the flikits thunderbird. A great scale offerring from Fliskits :)

Any secrets on how to prevent the booster fins from separating on landing from the tube on the root edge? I have tried a bigger chute, launched only on a C6-3, landing on a wet grass field and still the fin separated.

Any secrets on how to prevent the booster fins from separating on landing from the tube on the root edge? I have tried a bigger chute, launched only on a C6-3, landing on a wet grass field and still the fin separated.

I have actually been experimenting with tethering the kevlar shock line outside the body tube to the bottom of the rocket (near the motor tube) so that the model comes down tail end up... Hope to have that flying at NARAM this weekend and I will report with a follow up.

jim

So good in-flight photos! Great job Fred! Must have been lots of fun :)

Back