Satellite Internet Concept

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I always wondered about "civilian" data up-links to satellites. Downloads seems pretty straight forward but getting data back up there...

I remember a while back you could get internet from direct-tv or dish but it required phone access to send data and initiate comms.

This OneWeb satellite constellation is pretty fascinating but it sure seems like a step up for spying. Sorry for the paranoia.

What one person thinks is paranoia, is a conclusion based on past experience to others.

You are wise, not paranoid.

Got a sticky note over the camera on your devices?

I always wondered about "civilian" data up-links to satellites. Downloads seems pretty straight forward but getting data back up there...

I remember a while back you could get internet from direct-tv or dish but it required phone access to send data and initiate comms.

A couple of years ago, I was between homes (and states) for a few months. The rental house we lived in had satellite Internet (Hughes-net). As far as I know, there was no phone line backing the satellite, it was all via the dish.

Download speed was pretty good. Upload was "meh". Latency (important if you're a gamer) was terrible.

Also, it was metered (like the early days of CompuServe and cell phones. Or current LTE data plans, for that matter).

One of the things that Musk is hoping for with his LEO constellation is to reduce the lag/latency issues, thanks to the much shorter round trip.

As a person with two MVNO SIMS for my ætheric tether; all satellite currently available is still terrible because C is a jerk.

Tech companies are always talking how the want Internet available to everyone, everywhere. They miss the point of how incredibly poor many people are. I was in a hunting in Africa the man, who looked about 40, who did the laundry in camp gave me the coins ( 1 Rand) from my pockets, I handed it back and thanked him. I thought he was going to cry, he said he had never had money before! It was also over 100 miles to the nearest electricity other than the boat.

M

Good story. We are spoiled in the US. During my first deployment to Kosovo, you have to wait in line for a computer or port to use the internet for 15-20 minutes. During my last, the internet was all over the place and they Soldiers complained whenever it went down. It is all about perspective.

Perspective.
In the USA some say they are poor but have nice clothes, cellphone, pack of smokes in their pocket.
At the same place in Africa the camp operator was telling us about when one of the trackers showed up. He was just a man walking down the river beach, no shirt, no pants, not evern a piece of string around his wrist. Just a man.

M

Perspective.
In the USA some say they are poor but have nice clothes, cellphone, pack of smokes in their pocket.
At the same place in Africa the camp operator was telling us about when one of the trackers showed up. He was just a man walking down the river beach, no shirt, no pants, not evern a piece of string around his wrist. Just a man.

M

I find it fascinating how much importance we place on being connected. The just a man story brings home a powerful point. I am “connected” out of boredom where as just a man and many more like him are out there walking without string. I’d make the argument they are the ones connected to what matters, not us.

Very true. I once read an article where a Senator asked the question about why we were shipping food to a third world country for free when we people starving in the streets. Valid question? Maybe. When you think about, maybe not. It would rot in our streets if we gave it to our poorer folks. We have excess and it is often unprocessed grains. Most of our folks do not even know how to utilize it.

In much of the world, connect is their person to person, face to face relationships. I think that might be a better choice for health and psyche.

Latest posts

Back