SARG Launch, 012817

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Today was SARG's second launch at our new launchsite, Gibson Ranch Park. Very nice field. We even had a food vendor!

20170128_122044.jpg

20170128_122417_Burst01.jpg

20170128_122420.jpg

20170128_133851.jpg

P1060658.JPG

20170128_113533.jpg

At the first launch last month, I didn't fly anything, but wished I had. This time I brought one rocket, Big Bad Burt. I had only launched him once before, several years ago. I put him up on a G53FJ-7. Very nice flight. It was so much fun, I bought another G53 from Mike at BAR and launched Burt again!

It felt really good to finally be back flying rockets.

20170128_105335.jpg

20170128_105945.jpg

P1060708.JPG

P1060732.JPG

P1060733.JPG

P1060745.JPG

P1060747.JPG

P1060754.JPG

P1060757.JPG

P1060832.JPG

And here is video of Burt's second flight.

[YOUTUBE]UPd2bGdflKc[/YOUTUBE]

There is a large duck pond across the road. But I don't know if it's Gibson Lake. There is a wood sign at the entrance to the parking area that says "Aerodrome".

17 videos of my 18 flights (I missed one) are posted here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQGWLWOcJ5dqxfA1HWzn4A
Gibson lake is the duck pond, it's about 200 yards or so away/behind from the pads. I had one rocket (Super Neon XL on an E9-6) that nearly went for a swim. The good news is that the field to the west has about 1000' of good "runoff room" and another 2000' beyond that in an adjacent field. Aim the launch rod accordingly.

Yes, there is a large pond/small lake downwind from the launch area. Also a few trees.

The parking area is also mostly downwind. No damage to my car but Swat's Super Neon XL landed on my roof. Minor damage (repairable) to the bird. Great flight on an F motor, tho. His launch team is very entertaining and enthusiastic.

No problem with LPR but the parking situation needs to be considered before I fly any big/heavy rockets with winds from NNW.

The question is...

Were there recycle bins on site...

Yes, there is a large pond/small lake downwind from the launch area. Also a few trees.

The parking area is also mostly downwind. No damage to my car but Swat's Super Neon XL landed on my roof. Minor damage (repairable) to the bird. Great flight on an F motor, tho. His launch team is very entertaining and enthusiastic.

No problem with LPR but the parking situation needs to be considered before I fly any big/heavy rockets with winds from NNW.

Sorry about that! I think it's all on video as well. :( Hopefully the car is OK. "Jigglypuff" is all ready for her next launch, F44-8 seems to be a good motor for that one. I'm thinking most of my MPR will be "aimed" a little more to the West next time. I don't mind the walk. Although, I don't know if you were there for the last one (Trajector on the G40). That one was a WALK.... Made it nearly to road on the other end of the field

The question is...

Were there recycle bins on site...

There are a few trash cans the park maintains. I believe there is recycling over by the picnic area. There are also lots of hungry geese by the pond. :)

Car is fine as I said. No worries on that account.

I did see your Trajector flight and heard you announce upon you return that the one mile run of the day was checked off your to-do list. LOL!

Oh, to be young again and put up 10-20 flights over the course of a six hour launch... These days, two HPR flights is pretty much my limit.

Yes, that was quite the hike to get it back! I'm just amazed it held together! I've heard stories about those plastic fins not being the most robust...
I usually get quite a few low power birds up, I load them up the night before. (6-7 of them) Reloading them at the site takes a minute at most. I do try to put up 3-4 MP/HP, usually 1-2 reloads (I don't reload on the field and only have a few cases) and 1-2 SU motors. This last launch I didn't do any reloads as the kids didn't "pick" any appropriate rockets. The Mammoth may have been OK with a hobbyline G, but it maidened that day and I didn't want to risk it. Plus, the height ceiling means I need to pick some heavier ones. February I may try my EZI-65 on a G67R 38mm That should stay pretty low and still fit in all the requirements.

Back