sanding through the primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuso

Reaction score
I just sanded through the primer and made a mistake. I papered my fins and decided to do a final wet primer and sand with wet 800 grit sand paper. I am a BAR and remind myself that every mistake is an opportunity to learn. So I wet sanded through the primer into the card stock I used to paper my fins. It created a hole into the paper, very rough, and ugly. I thought I was going along great. I filled the spirals with diluted CWF, I papered the fins, I sanded and sanded again with higher grit. I primed with Rusto filler sandable primer. I sanded again (dry). Primed again. And then I sanded with 400 grit primer. I was thinking I might leave this LPR Nike with the smoothed primer (a nice shade or navy grey). Then all hell broke loose only on the wet sanding of the fins with 800 grit sand paper. It scraped through to the paper and broke it apart leaving multiple holes of rough exposed half eaten paper.

What next? Elmer's Wood Filler and start the whole process over again? I will show pictures tomorrow but you can accurately use your imagination.

Been there, done that. It can be fixed.

I suggest applying a light coat of thin CA to the area. That will make the paper fuzz stiff and sandable. Then use CWF (no need to dilute) to fill the void, and start sanding again.

I'm looking at paper and wet sanding being in the same thought/action, and thinking whaaaaaaaat???????????????????????

Been there, done that. It can be fixed.

I suggest applying a light coat of thin CA to the area. That will make the paper fuzz stiff and sandable. Then use CWF (no need to dilute) to fill the void, and start sanding again.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I have wet sanded a lot of rockets but I have never attempted to wet sand paper or balsa. As your experience shows, the three do not make a good combination. I just can't see how you could really expect to use water on balsa/paper and have it work out.

Just leave out the water and you'l be in business.

Tony

I have wet sanded a lot of rockets but I have never attempted to wet sand paper or balsa. As your experience shows, the three do not make a good combination. I just can't see how you could really expect to use water on balsa/paper and have it work out.

Just leave out the water and you'l be in business.

Tony

Live and learn. But nothing is permanently broken here. I applied CA to the wound. Sanded. Added wood filler and tomorrow I will sand that down, re-prime and carry on.

Back