Sanding Sealer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used adhesive label paper and I have found that putting paper on without a little smoother surface than just the plain balsa shows a little too many variations for my tastes. Basswood and ply are different stories(not nearly as much grain). Also Sanding sealer before the Elmer's wood filler helps keep the moisture away from the balsa and definitely helps from warpage because of the water content in Elmer's wood filler. To each his own But if you want glass fins try it. And I think I'll try the adhesive paper I've only used printer paper. If you have a kit that has a full sheet of laser cut fins try this: Leave the sheet whole un-cut apply Sanding sealer and sand, Then paper one side of the whole uncut sheet then let dry then run your blade thru the other unpapered side so you know where the fins are then paper the other side of the whole sheet and let dry. Now some of the glue with seep into the pre-cuts but cut the fins out and then stack and clamp them together. Take your dremmel with a barrel sanding attachment and run it across all sides until they're all uniform and the same. Unclamp and take a file to chamfer the leading edge of each fin you will not know that any paper is even on there it is tight all the way around the fin then use some sealer on the edges and the leading edge chamfer and like I said before... Baby's butt. We all know it is hard to get all the grain from balsa stock and I find that this works for me and I'm never in a hurry I just like a nice job.

Okay, thanks, I follow the logic now!

For those of you that are still using sanding sealer and balk at the high prices for a tiny little bottle, here's a blog post from a BAR for a recipe for homemade sanding sealer.
https://fdsailor.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-make-sanding-sealer.html
I have tried it. Think liquid plastic. One or two coats on ply, and two or three coats on balsa, sanding in between, and you will have a nice substrate for a beautiful glossy finish. I use Styrofoam packing peanuts, just because it's free and I have so much from my orders. Don't use the soy based packing peanuts, they won't dissolve in MEK.
Also there is a safer substitute MEK on the market. I haven't tried that yet, so don't know if it works.
Be careful choosing the container for this, MEK will dissolve some plastics as well as the synthetic rubber gasket on metal lids.
Use in a well ventilated area, or wear a fume filtering mask.
Disclaimer: I provide this as information, use at your own risk.

Where does one buy MEK? I went to Lowes today, and all they had was an "MEK Substitute." And a gallon jug, at that, was all they had. No pint or quart sizes. I tried using acetone instead once and for whatever reason wasn't thrilled at the time and made a mental note to get some MEK to try, but I'm not sure where to get it. Any ideas? I live in Indiana, which is pretty permissive about solvents and such.

Bought a quart container at my local hardware store, but this was a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $9 and change. Brand name is "Klean Strip". Also you can try boat repair and paint shops. There are vendors online too, do a Google or Bing search.
PS this goes without saying, but like I previously mentioned read the MSDS sheet and take all precautions before using.

Bought a quart container at my local hardware store, but this was a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $9 and change. Brand name is "Klean Strip". Also you can try boat repair and paint shops. There are vendors online too, do a Google or Bing search.
PS this goes without saying, but like I previously mentioned read the MSDS sheet and take all precautions before using.

Yeah, looks like my local Menards may stock it. For sure, outside / open garage use only, with appropriate personal protective gear in force.

Where does one buy MEK? I went to Lowes today, and all they had was an "MEK Substitute." And a gallon jug, at that, was all they had. No pint or quart sizes. I tried using acetone instead once and for whatever reason wasn't thrilled at the time and made a mental note to get some MEK to try, but I'm not sure where to get it. Any ideas? I live in Indiana, which is pretty permissive about solvents and such.
I see it on Ebay $20 for a quart free shipping here's an item #362506898335

This is a good product from SIG Manufacturing that will work like acetone but better. Great for thinning Dope, sanding sealer and cleaning up brushes etc. It's not paint thinner it is Butyrate and does contain MEK. Unscented nail polish remover(pure acetone) from Wall Mart is the best value though and may work like MEK?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 31
Back