Sanding is Cathartic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is my least favorite aspect of rocketry, but yes, it can be satisfying at times to get a decent finish.

I get that feeling when I use my Spoke Shave and Hand Planes. especially the Spoke Shave.
I love using spokeshaves, but I've never been able to get the hang of using a spokeshave with a rounded sole to shape a concave curve. I usually give up and grab a rasp.

And there's nothing quite like the feeling of a sharp, well-adjusted plane when it's producing nice long full-width 1-2 mil shavings. [Which are excellent for staring bonfires.]

I love using spokeshaves, but I've never been able to get the hang of using a spokeshave with a rounded sole to shape a concave curve. I usually give up and grab a rasp.

And there's nothing quite like the feeling of a sharp, well-adjusted plane when it's producing nice long full-width 1-2 mil shavings. [Which are excellent for staring bonfires.]
Agree 110% to both

Sanding makes me feel like I am becoming a true craftsman.

Sanding makes me feel like I am becoming a true arthritic.

It makes my hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulder hurt.

Come to think of it, when you wrote “cathartic”, was that just a typo/autocorrect boo-boo for “arthritic“?

Last edited:
If I sand something and I say afterwards "Well, that was enjoyable" then it was cathartic.
If I sand something and I say afterwards "Well, I'm glad that's over" then it was apoplectic.
😁

Finnishing is not so much of a skill, as it is a discipline. When sanding that "last" coat of sealer/filler/primer and you sand too far, or gouge or mar the surface, you just have to repeat the process.

Back