Sanding is Cathartic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bill S

Reaction score
It is my least favorite aspect of rocketry, but yes, it can be satisfying at times to get a decent finish.

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
I get that feeling when I use my Spoke Shave and Hand Planes. especially the Spoke Shave.
I love using spokeshaves, but I've never been able to get the hang of using a spokeshave with a rounded sole to shape a concave curve. I usually give up and grab a rasp.

And there's nothing quite like the feeling of a sharp, well-adjusted plane when it's producing nice long full-width 1-2 mil shavings. [Which are excellent for staring bonfires.]

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Spent the day sanding our wood floor to refinish it - wish I had been sanding rockets instead....

Bowman

Reaction score
I love using spokeshaves, but I've never been able to get the hang of using a spokeshave with a rounded sole to shape a concave curve. I usually give up and grab a rasp.

And there's nothing quite like the feeling of a sharp, well-adjusted plane when it's producing nice long full-width 1-2 mil shavings. [Which are excellent for staring bonfires.]
Agree 110% to both

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend who bought a 30' used sailboat. The hull needed a lot of work. He spent a month sanding & filling and sanding until he got the desired fairing & smoothness he wanted before painting.

He named it Sandsomore. ;)

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
Sanding makes me feel like I am becoming a true craftsman.
Sanding makes me feel like I am becoming a true arthritic.

It makes my hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulder hurt.

Come to think of it, when you wrote “cathartic”, was that just a typo/autocorrect boo-boo for “arthritic“?

Last edited:

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Sanding is apoplectic.
Maybe a more accurate statement might be ‘sanding makes some folks apoplectic’? Or perhaps, ‘sand with apoplectic fervor’.

Tony

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I sand something and I say afterwards "Well, that was enjoyable" then it was cathartic.
If I sand something and I say afterwards "Well, I'm glad that's over" then it was apoplectic.
😁

Alan15578

Reaction score
Finnishing is not so much of a skill, as it is a discipline. When sanding that "last" coat of sealer/filler/primer and you sand too far, or gouge or mar the surface, you just have to repeat the process.