Sanding Elmers Probond Woodglue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardw

Reaction score
Anyone have a good sandpaper recommendation for Elmers Probond Interior/Exterior wood glue? Any good tool? I filled some spirals in a body tube with it and now can't seem to get it off :(

Edward

I hate to say it...but...

I think you made a really big mistake.

That glue is tuff...a lot tuffer than the tube.

sandman

Dang it! I put it on really thin too - I have done the same before with other elmers glue and I had some Probond and decided that I would use that cause I liked some of the characteristics of it. I think I might try a dremel with a rotary sanding disk and see how that works.... Would wetting the glue help?

Sandman is right - big mistake :( ( "There's no such thing as a mistake, just happy accidents." as Bob Ross says it :) )The dremel seemed to melt the glue rather than sand it. Fortunately the top paper layer was weaker and most of the glue stuck to it. I then peeled up the glue and then peeled a nice long spiral right off. Now of course I have a huge crater to fill. I'm not doing it with Probond :D I am planning on using Durhams Putty - any suggestions before I jump right in on it? I have used it for floors before to level them, but this is different.

Edward

Try Elmers Fill n Finish. It is easier to sand than Durham's. You want something that will fill the groove and sand real easy or else you will chew up the tube getting it off. (As you discovered.)

Originally posted by edwardw
Dang it! I put it on really thin too - I have done the same before with other elmers glue and I had some Probond and decided that I would use that cause I liked some of the characteristics of it. I think I might try a dremel with a rotary sanding disk and see how that works.... Would wetting the glue help?

If this is the polyurethane glue, good luck. You might be able to salvage it, but it's gonna take a lot of work. What size tube is it? I think we might be able to help with that. Wetting the glue probably won't work as well as it will just make the surrounding tube softer...a bad thing

Email me with the tube size I think I can help.

Back