Sanding 3d printed parts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterK

Reaction score
Newbie to the printed parts stuff! I have purchased several kits from Boyce - V2, Saturn 1B, Little Joe, Redstone. Looking at them I question how to properly sand the parts - especially the ones with details like on fin cans. The 3d printed ridges seem to be extremely difficult to remove in the detailed area. I have various sanding sticks but worry I will damage the ridges and rivets. I am building these more for display but might fly them later.

So - how do you all deal with these type parts? Do you ignore the printing ridges and just paint over them in the tight areas? What grits work best? Any technique ideas much appreciated so I don’t screw this up! 😉
Pete

Newbie to the printed parts stuff! I have purchased several kits from Boyce - V2, Saturn 1B, Little Joe, Redstone. Looking at them I question how to properly sand the parts - especially the ones with details like on fin cans. The 3d printed ridges seem to be extremely difficult to remove in the detailed area. I have various sanding sticks but worry I will damage the ridges and rivets. I am building these more for display but might fly them later.

So - how do you all deal with these type parts? Do you ignore the printing ridges and just paint over them in the tight areas? What grits work best? Any technique ideas much appreciated so I don’t screw this up! 😉
Pete
I'm going to suggest 3 things: Rubbing Compound paste , or Diamond Lapping compound paste, or very fine sandpaper used wet ( with water).

take your time. Patience is a virtue.

I don't know what filament is used in the Boyce kits, but you might be able to use the acetone vaporization smoothing technique If its ABS.

The instructions say to dry sand with 180-200 and then wet sand with 400. That is fine on the large areas but really don’t see how to sand on the highly detailed fin cans. Thanks.

Filament does not sand easily. You can get it smooth but not seamless without filler. In the case of ABS you can vapor smooth with acetone but that will likely be inconsistent and you surely don't want to test the technique with your new parts.

I do an initial sand with 320 and then 400 wet. After that a coat of Tamiya white putty and sand with 320. Prime with filler primer and sand with 400. Prime-sand-prime-sand....you get the idea. This will give me a super smooth finish I can paint and gloss.

There are other techniques that people use, that is what works for me. YMMV.

Back