Same name, same company, two different rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continuing under the "same rocket, same company, two different names" ...

There is a current pair like this for sale. The little two-stage # 7275 Sterling Silver is being sold by Hobby Lobby as #7286 Epic II. The two models are identical except for livery/decals. It's a really nice flyer.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 11.58.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 11.59.55 PM.png

I suspect but have not verified that the #7288 Solo sold by Hobby Lobby and the #7298 Neon Tiger are a similar pair.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.02.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.04.17 AM.png

Last edited:
Google traffic is an essential component in online business. If people are searching for these old kits, I'm positive any experienced SEO would try and find a way to take advantage of that. Targeting the right things can add thousands of site visits a day, especially when you have the kind of domain authority that Estes does.
Plus, you can have nice packaging AND name the kit something that is already getting searches.

Again, speculation. It could just come down to ole' fashion laziness.
Why not add a postfix (or whatever it's called) like Vagabond 2 or II. You'd still get the SEO bonus, but people could more easily tell them apart.

Also, I think the Hercules is another example, tho not sure if they changed the SKU or not. Herc was a great two stager. Half a mile easy. Lining up the fins (back then) kinda sucked tho

So, 'out of site' means away from the launch field? ;)
Yup.... no tracking smoke or any such thing with a Vashon rocket....it went up and, as far as I know, just winked out of existence.

We've already discussed in this thread the sort of "hope it will just fall out and open" aspect of the parachute recovery system in the Vashon models, so not seeing an open 'chute was not that unusual, even on a warm summer day in the US Southwest.

Last edited:
Estes used "Scorcher" for one of the Land Rocket kits.

View attachment 439167

These things were really fun! Maybe I need to make a post on the "I wish Estes still made this kit" thread... :cool:

View attachment 439168
I tried making a land speed car out of blocks of balsa as a kid. Very arrow shaped. The trouble was, that any road surface imperfection made it bounce in the air. Could a similar car as the above work on black powder engines?

I tried making a land speed car out of blocks of balsa as a kid. Very arrow shaped. The trouble was, that any road surface imperfection made it bounce in the air. Could a similar car as the above work on black powder engines?

I've built dozens of rocket cars over the years, some line-guided like the Blurzz cars, others free running, with varying degrees of success. Some were built with rocket parts, others using model airplane type construction methods, a few from aluminum and a couple of plastic model conversions. Several use motor ejection to deploy a chute, shortest possible delay was the best bet!

I found that a few of the keys to keeping them on the deck were to use some type of suspension system to absorb the bumps, a bit of aero downforce, and a good FOD walk along the course.

Motor selection with respect to the course length was also very important of course, and the occasional failure to calculate (guess) correctly tended to result in the rather rapid and violent disassembly of the vehicle in question, often followed, depending on the course location, by an equally speedy departure from the scene of the incident. Good fun...

You know, there is a new housing development going in not too far down the road. Lots of straight, billiard table smooth asphalt...

Lessee, I know I've got some nice little wheels around here somewhere...

After reading through this thread, I noticed that one big one was missing. The Estes Magician. My dad built the original version, circa 1986-1987. I built the newer version, circa 2010. Don't quote me on the years. I know I'm off. I'm in possession of my dad's Magician.

Monarch is one also.
The Green & White newer one.
When they had the "Go Wild" paint scheme competition "Win Free Stuff" there was another Monarch.
I seen one on Ebay last week, I think it was grey. Over priced or I would have bid on it.
E65DB496-2980-41A0-BA02-3BA0FC04B72A.jpeg

Estes 2172 vs Estes 7214

We just used a Hot Wheel. It spun up the street and you could see a couple of spots on the orange track where the business end of the motor touched down. The car disassembled itself as it went up the street. Luckily there was no traffic to speak of.

Continuing under the "same rocket, same company, two different names"...

2018/2165 Super Big Bertha
2093 Broadsword
And converted to 29mm, through the wall fins, PSII Super Big Bertha9393B4A4-93B1-406D-9F62-CA03D5BAD1B5.jpegAEB6A3A6-F5B6-42FC-8710-BF708E9DC981.png

Last edited:
After reading through this thread, I noticed that one big one was missing. The Estes Magician. My dad built the original version, circa 1986-1987. I built the newer version, circa 2010. Don't quote me on the years. I know I'm off. I'm in possession of my dad's Magician.
image-bill-eichelbergers-estes---magician-1943-900-600-055518132230618.jpg
image-bill-eichelbergers-estes---magician-900-600-051518200722893.jpg

My new rule for myself, all of my new rocket builds will be modified to be space/air plane variety :)

I want that F-18? (F-15?) In the background of the Broadsword image :)
What catalog year is the scissors wing rocket F-?? from? So cool it transformed into a glider?

Last edited:
Rare Classic Estes TomCat Swing Wing Challenge Series Flying Model Rocket

one for sale on ebay for $$$

Attachments

• s-l400-3.jpg
    s-l400-3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 5
Same name, different company. slightly different rocket.

Semroc/Centuri Recruiter
1606263352548.png

Estes Recruiter
1606264164342.png

The Estes model is significantly larger.
But clearly it is based on the original Centuri design.
Semroc version is a Retro-Repro.

1124201436[1].jpg
My clones. Semroc on the left, Estes on the right.
I'll get these painted one day.
:D

Upscaled, modified the fin shape, and added a tail nozzle.
But they're both six finned.
Easy clone with the nose cone/transition from Sirius Moldin Oldies.
Took me a while to figure out what "Type E" and Type C" meant.

8F65C4E7-3181-452D-9C02-A5A5DB2C0498.jpeg

EST 0806 vs EST 2107

Here is another - Firestreak. The 90’s version is on the right and features balsa fins and slotted body tube. The more recent version is a snap together. Does SST mean “Simple Snap Together?”

Found a few more:
Estes Menace
1606477543702.png

1606477784301.png

Este Star Blazer:
In addition to the K-31, TK-31 and 0831 there is #1444
1606477921221.png

And the Estes Polaris:

1606477975989.png

And #2174
1606478048672.png

Same name, different company. slightly different rocket.

Semroc/Centuri Recruiter
View attachment 439702

Estes Recruiter
View attachment 439707

The Estes model is significantly larger.
But clearly it is based on the original Centuri design.
Semroc version is a Retro-Repro.

View attachment 439711
My clones. Semroc on the left, Estes on the right.
I'll get these painted one day.
:D

I have this one in the Estes version. Built about 1990 or so! One of the few that survived an unfortunate ignition of a box full of motors in my shop a few years ago! Painted with what I had on hand back then.....I was a poor teenager!

Attachments

• A2143209-0ABE-459D-8E58-2F5E6F02561E.jpeg
    A2143209-0ABE-459D-8E58-2F5E6F02561E.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 11
I have this one in the Estes version. Built about 1990 or so! One of the few that survived an unfortunate ignition of a box full of motors in my shop a few years ago! Painted with what I had on hand back then.....I was a poor teenager!
How did that happen?:oops::oops:

How did that happen?:oops::oops:

Long story short, I wasn’t paying attention. Cutting metal with a cutoff wheel, and didn’t watch where the sparks were going. Suffice it to say, black powder motors will ignite with a shower of sparks. I had 35 motors in that box......28 lit off. All sizes from 1/2a to E. Lost a Sidewinder, Comanche 3, S.W.A.T., SR-71, and a Phoenix. Couple of others I don’t recall the names.

After a bit of hopping around in a panic, I threw a couple of towels over the burning box and rockets, and pulled them off the shelf onto the shop floor. Did my best dance moves on top of them, and snuffed it out.

I kind of wish I had video, I’m sure I’d have won some prize. Whether it was AFV, or a Darwin, is irrelevant. 😂😂

Back