Salvaging a Slimline Retainer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHP

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I built a 4" scratch Bull Pup. This rocket has a 38mm MMT with a Slimline retainer. This rocket really needs a 54mm MMT and I plan to replace the tailcone/fin can assembly with the 54mm set-up.

J-B Weld was used to secure the Slimline to the 38mm MMT. Does anyone know of a way to de-bond the PML phenolic MMT from the Slimline? Is it possible?

Alternatively I can use the tailcone/fincan on something else - I'd just rather not waste the Slimline as they're great retainers.

BHPete

I wish I could help you here Pete, all I know is JB weld is tough stuff.

A dremel tool and lots of patience worked for me in a similar situation. Good Luck!

I thought I'd post in case anyone is interested.

I tried the cold > heat > cold > heat but the JB Weld held on like it is designed. This morning I took a 'paddle-wheel' sander on my rotary tool and ground away the gross JB Weld material and the phenolic motor tube. It all just disappeared. I was then able to easily remove the rest of the JB Weld from the threaded portion of the Slimline with a dental pick.

I did get through the black anodizing in a couple of spots but nowhere that'd be visible in a re-use of the retainer. I'd definitely use this reatiner again - if I hadn't sworn off 38mm MMTs on any future build!

BHPete

Set JB weld will soften in gel type paint stripper. I had used it to secure a gunsight and needed to change it out for a taller one. A guy on a firearms forum suggested this and it worked just fine. Try it next time.

Back