Salvaging 40+ year old waterslide decals.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaVee

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a very old Saturn V (I've mentioned elsewhere in TRF) that I finally gotten around to finishing. I was applying the "USA" decals when disaster struck... trying to slide the decal off of the paper, caused the decal to separate into various chunks... in fact shred. I took the decals from another almost-as-old set, and the same thing happened although the chunks this time were bigger. I decided to try some of the smaller, detail decals (in this case the sway target decals). After giving them a really good soaking to be sure there wasn't anything still hanging on, the white ones slid off, and were applied successfully, although one of the edges along a clear section did seem to give off a shard or two. I then went to the black sway targets... and both of the remaining decals separated apart (thankfully) into two separate black squares which I could coax into position. The bottom line is this decal set is super fragile even though it *looks* to be in perfect physical condition.

So the question is: Is there anything I can do to strengthen the remaining decals such that they'd remain intact? I read that when making your own inkjet decals (depending on paper) you have to give them a coat of something like an acrylic spray or laquer or whatnot. Would something like that help me here? i.e. if I give the remaining decals an overcoat could that possibly keep them from shredding? Or will it just make them impossible to get them to slide off of the backing?

I've already got replacements on order, but I'd really like to finish this one with as many of the originals as possible... I have a feeling I'm "SOL" with this decal sheet!

Last edited:
I've not done this but I'd do a trial on an unimportant decal. Cut around it, spray with acrylic, wait for it to dry thoroughly. Cut around the edge so that any acrylic won't hold it in place on the paper. Soak and slide. Good luck!

Best -- Terry

Well... after spraying with Rustoleum 2x Gloss Clear spray and letting dry for ONLY about 2-3 hours, the Centuri Logo decal (which is much larger than the sway target decals) slipped off the paper totally intact. It definitely had a sturdier "feel" to it, too! I.e. this just may work for the smaller detail decals. I did have to give it a good full 60+ second soak though. I have nice cut vinyl lettering for the USA and United States decals.

This is a 40 year old decal sheet... amazing! I sure wish I thought of this sooner!

Back again... my A-20 Demon decal sheet is as old as my Estes Scrambler sheet (around 20-30 years or so). The Scrambler decals went on just fine without any issues so I thought I was good with the Demon as well. I went to apply the large "A-20 Demon" decal and both of them broke up, however it was in large sections so I managed to piece them together. I then had to think about what to do with the rest of the decals (two wraps and a large numeral "8"). I took out my can of Rustoleum 2x Gloss Clear (NOT the acrylic) and gave the remaining decals a nice overcoat of that. I then cut the upper wrap out and it was a sturdy as if it had been printed last week. In the meantime, for my remaining Saturn decals, I got ahold of the Microscale decal film. I'm going to try it on the camera target decals this evening.

The good news is that if you can't find the microscale product (I was in Utah last week and went to my old favorite hobby shops and they actually had it in stock unlike the ones here in the N.E.), then a good coat of gloss clear will do the trick I think!

Well, the microscale decal film worked. The decals did not fragment. I attached the position I II III IIII decals onto the Centuri Saturn. The "I" decal immediately began to curl. I had bathed each location with solvaset and then after application, added a bit to the top. There was nothing I could do to keep "I" from curling (as it's narrow) so I smeared a bit of elmers' from a toothpick and tacked it down. The others, while stubborn, seem to have held on. I then tried one of the microscale treated american flags thinking I had it down (soak for thirty seconds, leave it sit out of the bath on a wet paper towel for about another minute and go...) The first flag went down nicely, and seemed to be holding (also on a solvaset wetted surface). Then it started to curl... pushed it down, more solvaset, curled... pushed it down again, started to note that I had pulled the decal so that a small barely noticeable crack had formed in the blue star field. And it curled up again! tried elemers again and tried to smooth it down.... then disaster... the crack formed a tear... the decal separated at the back end of the blue star field... then I noticed... the back of the flag (while still quite strong) had next to zero adhesion to it! I picked up the wet paper that it came off of... virtually ALL of the glue was still on the paper and virtually none had come off with the flag... the back of the flag decal was less sticky than the front! And the paper... it was super tacky. I guess you can't save some decals... I cant figure it out... perhaps I shouldn't have used the solvaset on the surface prior to laying down the decal? I just don't know... heartsick... waaaaaaaa!

I *HATE* waterslide decals.

Back