Safety Check Before Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alby

Reaction score
I've been informed that before a launch, all rockets have a safety check
before they launch. I was wondering, what is checked during this
safety check? Is the rocket pulled apart to check everything inside,
this requiring you to reassemble your rocket?

Typically, the rocket is simply looked over to make sure nothing is obviously, glaringly wrong. Mostly, it's just a quick check to make sure the motor is appropriate for the rocket and for the user's certification level, and that the rocket at least appears stable and well-built. The rocket will not be pulled apart unless there is a good reason, although the nose may be checked for snugness of fit in the tube.

Varies widely depending on the club. Typical things checked would be that the fins are straight and well attached, nose cone isn't too tight/loose, motor is well retained, etc. Chutes and motors are not typically pulled out for inspection. Clusters, multistagers and oddrocs get a closer inspection to make sure everything looks reasonable.

When we have newcomers or kids launching, we will usually ask them if they put the wadding in before packing the chute.

Once you get into HPR, the rocket is typically weighed and the motor checked to assure a 5:1 thrust/weight ratio. You might be asked about the recovery system and any onboard electronics.

Last edited:
I've been informed that before a launch, all rockets have a safety check
before they launch. I was wondering, what is checked during this
safety check? Is the rocket pulled apart to check everything inside,
this requiring you to reassemble your rocket?

This varies by club.

For our particular club, the basics are mentioned on the flight cards (have motor out for inspection). Motors are uninstalled becuase we must make sure they are legal motors and a HUGE percentage of flyers select motors with the wrong delay time or the wrong power level for the rocket they wish to fly.

For the airframe safety inspection, we have a "Safety Advisory" that is intended to intercept and prevent *most* of the common problems. We often will wiggle the fins and check the launch lugs to make sure they are secure. We can also puch or lull on the moto mount. An ASTOUNDING number of models have no glue on the motor mounts because people of all ages will not read the instructions.

I virtually never look inside the rockets or inspect recovery systems BUT i do perform a wadding demo and parachute folding demo once or twice per launch. Folks really seem to appreciate actually having that explained and shown to them - especially if they had a prior history/memory of melted parachutes and suddenly they no longer have melted chutes after hearing/seeing my demo.
https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/safety.pdf
https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/proced.pdf
https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/fltcrd.pdf

I virtually never look inside the rockets or inspect recovery systems BUT i do perform a wadding demo and parachute folding demo once or twice per launch. Folks really seem to appreciate actually having that explained and shown to them - especially if they had a prior history/memory of melted parachutes and suddenly they no longer have melted chutes after hearing/seeing my demo.

Can you describe your demo? (from melted chute boy)

Did anyone ever videotape it for you?

I'm so OCD about pre-launch checks on my rockets that it takes me longer to flight prep than to actually launch the rocket.

Hmmmmmm, if they flying a two stage rocket then make sure the first stage has a 6-0 and the second has a delay charge. Any other configuration is bad.

Hmmmmmm, if they flying a two stage rocket then make sure the first stage has a 6-0 and the second has a delay charge. Any other configuration is bad.

What?

I'll have to get rid of all of these D12-0s that I have then...

What?

I'll have to get rid of all of these D12-0s that I have then...
Since 12 is a multiple of 6, you may be OK. But call for a head's up flight, just in case. I'm wondering what I'm going to do with my A10-0Ts now, though. :confused:

Can you describe your demo? (from melted chute boy)

Did anyone ever videotape it for you?

I could describe it, but it will take too long to type and I don't have time.

Someone has recorded it since I often see youth group leaders or parents aiming their video enabled phones or a digital camcorder at me as I do parachute, wadding and igniter demos. I don't have a copy. That would be a good idea to actually record it and post it on our website (or store it on YouTube and link to it).

Too busy to think about that now. Maybe later in the year?

Someone has recorded it since I often see youth group leaders or parents aiming their video enabled phones or a digital camcorder at me as I do parachute, wadding and igniter demos. I don't have a copy. That would be a good idea to actually record it and post it on our website (or store it on YouTube and link to it).

Use one of your days at the Library, but get a hot blonde or brunette to do it, I guarantee more people will watch.:roll:

Use one of your days at the Library, but get a hot blonde or brunette to do it, I guarantee more people will watch.:roll:

You mean they actually have brunettes in SoCal!! :cool:

I'm late to the party, Alby, so all I can say is you've got a good flavor of what is supposed to happen at the Safety Check. If you fly on your own, you'll have to rely on the checklist that is in most kit's instructions.

Since 12 is a multiple of 6, you may be OK. But call for a head's up flight, just in case. I'm wondering what I'm going to do with my A10-0Ts now, though. :confused:

Yeah - and Estes might as well just forget bringing back the A10-0T, A8-0 and C11-0! :D

You mean they actually have brunettes in SoCal!! :cool:

I'm late to the party, Alby, so all I can say is you've got a good flavor of what is supposed to happen at the Safety Check. If you fly on your own, you'll have to rely on the checklist that is in most kit's instructions.

Brunettes in So Cal:

octo-mom-nadya-suleman.jpg

:shock::y::jaw:

Hey, isn't that the lady with 8 children? OctoMom or something?

That would be great, thanks.

Back