Safely flying HPR multistage rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a few pics of a recent altimeter bay. It has 5 switches in total with three of them related to the staging (power, "open" and shunt). I like using separate switches because I can close the "open" switch and then hear continuity from the altimeter (which sort of indicates that the altimeter is working properly), and then open the shunt.

I think I'll give the WiFi switch a try. One question is whether to use it as the "open" switch to complete the circuit or as the shunt. I know using it for the "open" switch is more intuitive, but using it as a shunt might be even better. Hmm.

Jim

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. But now I feel pretty intimidated by the complexity. There's going to be lots of testing this winter.

I've used 2 together without issue. They were spaced about 1/2" apart. No problems.
Thanks Nate, exactly the info I was looking for. They almost seem a bit too good to be true. I guess the fact that I have to solder them together is the big catch. I'm sure I can get it done and even if I buy a new decent soldering station it's still a pretty good deal.

Tony

There's a bit of a storm on the NAR FB page about an HPR 2 stager. I'd like to start a thread on what is safe/not safe for anything that involves starting a motor after the initial launch.

So maybe these topics:

1. Stability+ booster motor choice.

2. Staging- how to properly separate the two stages. Recovery of the booster post staging.

3. Motor ignition on the sustainer. How to safely ignite the sustainer. What sorts of lockouts should be done so that the sustainer does not ignite in an sub-optimal situation.

Any thoughts?
Do you have a link to this "storm" discussion? I couldn't find it on NAR FB.

Back