sad Navaho

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
https://www.spaceflightinsider.com/space-centers/ccafs/ccafs-heavily-damaged-hurricane-matthew/

Damage-at-Cape-Canaveral-Air-Force-Station-after-Hurricane-Matthews-approach-photo-credit-45th-Space-Wing-posted-on-SpaceFlight-Insider.png

This is unfortunate. We should not fix the display- government spends too much money already. If the building are used fix them- if not knock them down.

This is unfortunate. We should not fix the display- government spends too much money already. If the building are used fix them- if not knock them down.

I'm pretty sure all of the static displays in and around Cape Canaveral are maintained by volunteers.

-- Roger

I think there are static survivors elsewhere. Looks like it would be a major restoration effort more than volunteers could handle. Kurt

According to wiki there were only two static displays one at CCAFS and one at Wright Patterson in the museum. There is also an unmarked booster rocket on display elsewhere in Florida.

Last edited:
This was the only surviving Navaho missile. What's at Wright-Patt is the only surviving X-10, the precursor to Navaho.

Rest in peace, weird sexy bird...

Yes:
This is Last remaining Navaho missile & booster. This is a most historic missile and must be restored. I've seen much worse condition Rockets and missiles restored by our National Air and Space museum historians. This one MUST be saved.

On the Space Hipsters group on Facebook, I think it was Jim Banke wh osaid that *IF* it can be repaired, there's a group that would raise the $ to do it (Tried to find the post but could not). But if so, it's gotta be displayed indoors, no sense letting a future hurricane attack it.

The pic below indicates the Navaho did not "fall off" from the stand that it was attached to. The booster rocket broke apart, the lower section with two fins is still firmly attached to the stand.

6plZhsY.jpg

I too am of the opinion that the CCAFS Navaho should be restored if possible.

Last edited:
On the Space Hipsters group on Facebook, I think it was Jim Banke wh osaid that *IF* it can be repaired, there's a group that would raise the $ to do it (Tried to find the post but could not). But if so, it's gotta be displayed indoors, no sense letting a future hurricane attack it.

The pic below indicates the Navaho did not "fall off" from the stand that it was attached to. The booster rocket broke apart, the lower section with two fins is still firmly attached to the stand.

Interesting. Might have had some corrosion issues over time, weakening the structure, and the last storm was basically the straw that broke the Navaho.

Last edited:
Was sent a picture of it a few years ago with the question "Where am I Gus"?
That was an easy and, quick response since I knew about it being the only one left...
I agree with Rich, they should attempt a restoration.

We've got money....Because I'm tired of standing in line at a convenance store waiting to pay for my fuel while someone is trying too CHARGE a Candy Bar, Soda and, pack of Smokes on the EBT Card.

That's a verboten topic though-:hot:

Good News about the future of the damaged Navaho..... it HAS a future.

A post on the Space Hipsters group on Facebook, by Jim Banke:

Wearing my hat as secretary of the Air Force Space and Missile Museum Foundation*:

I'm pleased to share an update with you on the status of the Navaho missile display, which was all but destroyed by Hurricane Matthew. It will not be scrapped. The 45th Space Wing fully intends to repair and restore the rocket for public display.

But that's all I know right now. It's simply too early to discuss cost, timing, fundraising, etc. If you've been anxious to start an online fundraiser or write a check, please be patient. It will be several weeks, if not months, before we'll have all the details in place and ready to publicly solicit your help.

* - "The U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Museum Foundation, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) community-based organization that exists to support the Air Force Space and Missile Museum operation at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida."

Last edited:
This is great news !! A lot of effort will be put into the refurbishment. I suspect the old girl will be protected from the elements in the future. Most static displays are not refurbs but stripped out air frames.They may have a nice paint job but are left to the elements. As a rule, once a refurb is commissioned, an indoor home is usually planned to protect the investment

Last edited:
I read about the Navajo on either space.com or spaceflightnow.com the other day. Great to hear that they are going to put it back together. It was always a beautiful site when I drove in/out of the CCAFS gate (which was rare I usually went out SR 3 NASA gate when I worked at KSC)

From the title, I thought this was going to be about the old (fake) Native American who cries at the end of the EPA commercial.

Back