SAAB RBS-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm already looking at my next build. Once I clear my L3 at MWP (if...), I've starting planning the model and materials for my next scratch build. As you can tell from the title, it's the SAAB RBS-15 Anti-ship Missile.

[video=youtube;JwIv_YcwbOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwIv_YcwbOU[/video]

Some of the features in this will be:
L1/L2 HPR level - The model I'm simming has combinations of boosters of I435s and a main of J125, or a non-cluster maiden flight with a K250. Lots of options.
Clustering - I'll have two side boosters plus the main sustainer
Air start - Maiden flights will be central motor only, and then central plus boosters at launch. Ultimately, I want to airstart boosters only, eject them, and fire the sustainer.
Strap-on booster deployment - I'm building with the boosters to be bolted on. Initial flights won't have complex deployment in them. Need to master that technique.
Canted motors - The boosters will be canted to put their thrust at outward angles as in the actual missile.

So without further fanfare...

2017-09-05 15_24_07-Rocket (SAAB.ork).png

2017-09-05 15_24_49-Rocket (SAAB.ork) 2.jpg

View attachment SAAB.ork

Last edited:
Space it a bit tight in there if I want to keep it looking like the stubby real life model. I'll either have to go with my Chute release, or figure out a way to pack in dual deployment in that small amount of space. I'm looking to come close to 10k with this model.

Space it a bit tight in there if I want to keep it looking like the stubby real life model. I'll either have to go with my Chute release, or figure out a way to pack in dual deployment in that small amount of space. I'm looking to come close to 10k with this model.

Drogue-less dual-deploy sounds like it would fit, or use the JLCR.

I found the perfect nose cone solution. Madcow has a 5.5" eliptical fiberglass nose cone. I'll pair that with their 5.5" fiberglass airframe. First flights won't have the boosters, but the clips will be in place. With the airframe scale-up, I'm now looking at a 75 mm sustainer mount. The boosters will be 54 mm.

Back