S.M.A.L.L. 2023 - RC Rocket Gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
Every year in June, there is an RC airplane fun fly in central Arkansas, specially dedicated to small RC model airplanes. The requirement is that all RC models must be .25 cui or smaller. SMALL = Small Model Airplane Lovers League.

At this event, there are also RC rocket glider launches.

I brought my Dynasoar Aurora and Klingon Battlecruiser. (Along side them is my Wright Brothers 1909 Military Flyer, with a 42 inch wingspan.)

m_IMG_3116small.jpg

Another RC rocket glider, based on an old Estes design.

EDIT: Dave Schaefer had his upscaled Estes Space Plane there. BT-55 tubing, IIRC. Had a bit of a prang there due to a little warp and trim issue. Normally flies great! A real hot rod on a D2.3.

m_IMG_6510small.jpg

m_IMG_6511small.jpg

m_IMG_6512small.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see some in action at SMALL, you have a really battle hardened Klingon! I was just flying my 3x upscale Space Plane yesterday. I did do a one off Skydart upscale for a guy, wonder if this was it or if it was just a scratch build.

Nice to see some in action at SMALL, you have a really battle hardened Klingon! I was just flying my 3x upscale Space Plane yesterday. I did do a one off Skydart upscale for a guy, wonder if this was it or if it was just a scratch build.
The Astron Skydart was a scratch build by Tom Blakeney (from Texas).

Tom has attended SMALL for years, usually bringing some rocket gliders, as well as an assortment of other RC aircraft.

Yep, my 2x Skydart. Technically a 2X Skydart II, as I used split tubing style side engine nacelles instead of folded card stock nacelles. That was the first flight for the model. Been done for a while, but schedule and weather never quite worked out until early June

Fantastic boost, pretty good glide. Decent hang time. Will nudge the CG back a little for the next flight.

Used the Centuri 2” tubing, a matching 2” nose cone that I 3D printed, normal 6mm Depron construction. I scanned the Estes Skydart II decal sheet and cut my own vinyl markings. I varied the markings a bit from the kit just because I liked it better this way.

I do love being set free from having to use the limited set of commercially available lightweight nose cones in the 2”-3” range.

Very satisfying upscale. I know it has been done before, but still great fun.

Dave Schaefer had his upscaled Estes Space Plane there. BT-55 tubing, IIRC. Had a bit of a prang there due to a little warp and trim issue. Normally flies great! A real hot rod on a D2.3. Makes me want to do a Space Plane in BT-60 or in the 2” Centuri tubing I like.

Attachments

• IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yep, my 2x Skydart. Technically a 2X Skydart II, as I used split tubing style side engine nacelles instead of folded card stock nacelles. That was the first flight for the model. Been done for a while, but schedule and weather never quite worked out until early June

Fantastic boost, pretty good glide. Decent hang time. Will nudge the CG back a little for the next flight.

Used the Centuri 2” tubing, a matching 2” nose cone that I 3D printed, normal 6mm Depron construction. I scanned the Estes Skydart II decal sheet and cut my own vinyl markings. I varied the markings a bit from the kit just because I liked it better this way.

I do love being set free from having to use the limited set of commercially available lightweight nose cones in the 2”-3” range.

Very satisfying upscale. I know it has been done before, but still great fun.

Dave Schaefer had his upscaled Estes Space Plane there. BT-55 tubing, IIRC. Had a bit of a prang there due to a little warp and trim issue. Normally flies great! A real hot rod on a D2.3. Makes me want to do a Space Plane in BT-60 or in the 2” Centuri tubing I like.

Tom, did someone take drone video of the launches?

Back