Rustolium Clear Enamel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carldoc

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever used Rustolium clear enamel spray paint to finish their kits? If so, how is it ? I saw this product and am wondering if it would make a nice finish coat. Thanks.

Originally posted by carldoc
Has anyone here ever used Rustolium clear enamel spray paint to finish their kits? If so, how is it ? I saw this product and am wondering if it would make a nice finish coat. Thanks.

I've had good luck using the Rustoleum 'American Accents' "matte" finish on scale birds, but I've had poor success with the standard line gloss. It does an acceptable job for covering decals and striping, but it doesn't give near the quality of surface as the regular gloss paints. The American Accents gloss colors give such a good finish, I just use another coat of that rather than bother with clear.

Hey Doc,
I have this large flat spot on the top of my head; it’s kinda shaped like a blast plate from a launcher. Am I normal?

"Phrenology - a study based on the outdated theory that mental faculties and dispositions can be judged by observing the shape of the skull as a whole and the different parts of its surface"

If you're looking for a clear gloss finish, it's pretty hard to beat good old "Future" floor polish. I put it on all my shiny ones. For matte finishes I use Testor's Dull Coat.

John

Just brush on the Future? About how long is the drying time?. Thanks.

Testors dull coat sounds good for some of my kits. Is their gloss coat just as good as the future or better?....worst?

The future polish is very thin, almost like water. I usually squirt some in a disposable cup and put it on with a throw away foam brush. Clean up with soap and water. It dries quickly...not more than 30 minutes or so. A bottle will last you a very long time. I've never had any compatibility problems with it...with various brands of paint and various decals. It's used to coat floors so it's also very tough. You can search this board to find numberous tips/hints on Future polish.

I've never used the Testor's gloss coat, so I can't comment on that. The Dull Coat does work good though. I've even heard of guys putting some talcum powder into the Future polish to get a dull finish. Never tried that though.

Good Luck,
John

Originally posted by OKTurbo
If you're looking for a clear gloss finish, it's pretty hard to beat good old "Future" floor polish.
John

I'm sure it does a fine job. It'd be easier to use a spray though, like Miniwax Polycrylic. Same stuff inside. Then again, Future is way cheaper.

I do know that Turtle Wax, even their best stuff, doesn't do much.

Originally posted by bobrogg
Hey Doc,
I have this large flat spot on the top of my head; it’s kinda shaped like a blast plate from a launcher. Am I normal?

"Phrenology - a study based on the outdated theory that mental faculties and dispositions can be judged by observing the shape of the skull as a whole and the different parts of its surface"

You're a rocketeer. Of course you're not normal.

Clinical phrenology relates to those people whose head bumps desperately need realignment. I'm sure we all know someone like that.

Back