Rust-oleum primer - at least two types are actually the same thing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy D. Jones

Reaction score
I was at an auto parts store and figured out that at least two types of Rust-oleum primer are actually the same thing.

At this store they had at least 5 kinds of Rust-oleum spray can primer:

1 Self-Etching Primer
2. Primer Sealer
3. Sandable Primer
4. Filler Primer - Automotive Primer **
5. Filler Primer - Primer **

** Both of these Filler Primers are actually the same thing, but come in two different looking cans. Not sure if one is older and the other newer, or maybe they are trying to market two products that are actually the same thing? They both have the same product code (249279).

See the following photos:

Attachments

• Rust-oleum primer types.jpg
    Rust-oleum primer types.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Rust-oleum automotive Filler Primer 2.jpg
    Rust-oleum automotive Filler Primer 2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Rust-oleum automotive Filler Primer 3.jpg
    Rust-oleum automotive Filler Primer 3.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 0
Self Etching... that's for bare steel parts
Primer Sealer.... that's when you're trying to seal the previous coats so they don't screw up subsequent coats.

Anyone ever use this stuff - in a small paint can?

The rattlecans of this stuff are used by many of us but are hard to find now. Maybe they don't make it in the spray can anymore?

Rust-oleum primer type 4 Filler Primer - gray - I use this (paint can).jpg

Anyone ever use this stuff - in a small paint can?

The rattlecans of this stuff are used by many of us but are hard to find now. Maybe they don't make it in the spray can anymore?

View attachment 580708
I still see the spray at the chain stores like Walmart and I think I saw it at Home Depot recently. However, I ordered a bunch from Amazon the last time because Walmart now locks up their paint (not Automotive paints though) and they're ridiculously unresponsive to the help button. Also HD is pricey for the spray. YMMV

... because Walmart now locks up their paint (not Automotive paints though) and they're ridiculously unresponsive to the help button. ...

Must be a regional thing. Walmart, Ace, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc. all have their spray paint on open shelves here.

Last edited:
Must be a regional thing. Walmart, Ace, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc. all have their spray paint open open shelves here.
In a way I don't blame them... too many idiots spraying the paints in the store ruining everything including other cans of paint.

It's still no excuse to ignore a help button.

They need to give all the employees Cattle Prods.... do something stupid... they'll light you up.

I can't imagine working in retail today.... especially some place like Walmart. It would be a daily "Darwin Awards" competition.

I love the Rustoleum Filler Primer
I always got mine from Walmart Automotive dept.....

Do you feel it's good stuff ?

At Walmart, looking for primer, I couldn’t tell the difference between Sandable Primer, and Filler Primer (High Build). I got the Sandable. Which primer is preferred?

At Walmart, looking for primer, I couldn’t tell the difference between Sandable Primer, and Filler Primer (High Build). I got the Sandable. Which primer is preferred?
It depends on what your goal is.
If you are wanting a lot of primer so you can sand it and fill in imperfections, then you want "Filler Primer".​
Sometimes, especially due to weight, you don't want a heavy coat at all. Then you would just use "Sandable Primer".​
If you have used primer, and/or CWF, and/or bondo, and you want to seal all that before applying paint, then you use "Primer Sealer"​

1684758497237.png1684758542591.png1684758597823.png

Last edited:
They need to give all the employees Cattle Prods.... do something stupid... they'll light you up.

I can't imagine working in retail today.... especially some place like Walmart. It would be a daily "Darwin Awards" competition.
My wife is a retail pharmacist, and let me tell you, the stories she tells of idiots, entitled a**holes, petulant whining and scheming to get controlled substances, unsupportive management, etc... I've told her repeatedly over the years that she ought to put them in a book and sell it.

My wife is a retail pharmacist, and let me tell you, the stories she tells of idiots, entitled a**holes, petulant whining and scheming to get controlled substances, unsupportive management, etc... I've told her repeatedly over the years that she ought to put them in a book and sell it.
Testify...

So they should label it as "Sandable Filler Primer."
And what else would you like them to put on the label? At some point you have to understand that there really is no substitute for reading the Technical Data Sheet.

"When dry, the surface can be immediately recoated, top coated or wet sanded. For best results, allow to dry 2-4 hours before dry sanding."​

"When dry, the surface can be immediately recoated, top coated or wet sanded. For best results, allow to dry 2-4 hours before dry sanding."
Right. It said that on the back of the can. Hence my confusion. If they are both sandable, why label only one of them as such? Hence my question here, which you answered, thanks. Both are sandable, but one is high-build. I still think it is confusing labeling.

Back