Rust-oleum auto filler/primer compatible w/ Painter's Touch 2x ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy D. Jones

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with using Rust-oleum auto filler/primer, followed by topcoats of Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultracover spray?

These two:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/filler-primer-spray/

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-2x-ultra-cover/gloss/

Any way to tell if two type of paint are "compatible" before you buy them?

They make a Painter's Touch 2x primer, but it doesn't say on the can its "high build". Not sure if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

I've done it many times. Just beware of Rusto 2X's tendency to run or come out as cottage cheese (most likely for gloss white.)

Has anyone had any experience with using Rust-oleum auto filler/primer, followed by topcoats of Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultracover spray?
As stated above, yes they are absolutely compatible.
Any way to tell if two type of paint are "compatible" before you buy them?
Ask here or ask the company directly.
They make a Painter's Touch 2x primer, but it doesn't say on the can its "high build". Not sure if it makes a difference.
Yes it does. High build primer (i.e. "filler/primer") will fill small cracks and imperfections, and absolutely requires a good amount of sanding. Regular primer generally will not give you any "fill" capabilities and only requires a light sanding to smooth it out.

As stated above, yes they are absolutely compatible.

Ask here or ask the company directly.

Yes it does. High build primer (i.e. "filler/primer") will fill small cracks and imperfections, and absolutely requires a good amount of sanding. Regular primer generally will not give you any "fill" capabilities and only requires a light sanding to smooth it out.

FWIW: I use the Rusto Filler / Primer Sandable pretty much exclusively. While I always do some sanding, it's nothing I'd label as "a good amount". More like a light cursory sanding, just to remove any peach fuzz.

The only thing I don't like is the Rusto regular grey primer. It never seems to dry. Even days after it goes on, it still clogs the sandpaper. White is ok. You can always sand the runs. I have been using the Rusto automotive primer for some time. It can be sanded the next day and doesn't clog the sandpaper. I have also waited days for the high build stuff to dry too. Could be the amount I put on, though. You won't know if it works for you until you try it for yourself.

Back