The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• SPC-10_Specialty_Lacquer_Sprays_TDS.pdf
    248.4 KB · Views: 3
Anyone use this product? It's weird stuff. It was the only primer they had at the store at the time. Never seems to fully dry and feels like malleable clay. 220 grit is no problem but 400 tends to gum it up.

1596256808118.png

So just confirming. You can do multiple light coats, applied say 15 to less than 60 minutes apart. Once you pass the 60 minute mark, unless you are in a warm climate you should wait at least 48 hours?

If I've guessed the chemistry right, 10 of 15 minutes is enough for the solvent(s) to flash off, and after an hour the begining of actual curing is noticable so you have to wait for it to finish. Just a guess.

I've been using Rusto 2X for virtually a lot my rockets. I don't tend to put a lot of effort into perfect finishes, but this paint has always given results that meet my expectations, such as they are. In fact, I just bought two new cans this afternoon.
Would you care to show us some of your finishes ? I too use rusto

I also use Rusto 2x and Stops Rust metallics almost exclusively. Here a couple of my best and worst finishes.

First, the best, which usually occur when I wet-sand just before the final top coat.

Estes Solar Warrior: Rusto Stops Rust blue metallic, applied on top of a wet-sanded Rusto 2x White undercoat (click for larger):
1698973746290.png

Rusto 2x Gloss Cranberry, wet-sanded before final top coat:
1698974003070.png

Both of above images are before gloss clear coat.

Here are some of my less-great finishes, where I did not do the wet-sand-before-final-topcoat:

Rusto 2x Gloss Winter Gray: If you click to expand you can see the reflections are not "pure":
1698974294213.png

Rusto 2x Semi-gloss Black and White:
1698974570470.png

Rusto 2x Gloss White: This one is "OK":
1698974706731.png

I also use Rusto 2x and Stops Rust metallics almost exclusively. Here a couple of my best and worst finishes.

First, the best, which usually occur when I wet-sand just before the final top coat.

Estes Solar Warrior: Rusto Stops Rust blue metallic, applied on top of a wet-sanded Rusto 2x White undercoat (click for larger):
View attachment 613234

Rusto 2x Gloss Cranberry, wet-sanded before final top coat:
View attachment 613236

Both of above images are before gloss clear coat.

Here are some of my less-great finishes, where I did not do the wet-sand-before-final-topcoat:

Rusto 2x Gloss Winter Gray: If you click to expand you can see the reflections are not "pure":
View attachment 613237

Rusto 2x Semi-gloss Black and White:
View attachment 613238

Rusto 2x Gloss White: This one is "OK":
View attachment 613239
All I can say is wow. That’s amazing. I really like the smooth look of the first two. The colors you chose really look well on a rocket

Do you also use enamel clear coating from rustoleum ?

All I can say is wow. That’s amazing. I really like the smooth look of the first two. The colors you chose really look well on a rocket

Do you also use enamel clear coating from rustoleum ?
No, I use Future (or whatever it's called now) for gloss clear. In the past I have used Krylon UV-resistant clear for matte finishes. I do have a can of Rusto 2x gloss clear that I have used for inkjet decal sealant, but haven't sprayed it on a rocket.

No, I use Future (or whatever it's called now) for gloss clear. In the past I have used Krylon UV-resistant clear for matte finishes. I do have a can of Rusto 2x gloss clear that I have used for inkjet decal sealant, but haven't sprayed it on a rocket.
Similar product I could find is called quick shine

From my search I could only find future floor polish on eBay for $50 USD !

Back in the day I used to like Rustoleum Stops Rust, then they changed the nozzle system. I have Rusto Farm spray paint using the old nozzle system and reminds of the old Stops Rust, works great.

Back