Russian model rocket motors and STEM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People of nefarious intents can of course find information about propellant formulation in other areas, but the decision was made by forum administration that it won't be here.

Yep, advanced section still exists. Have to scroll beyond the Watering hole
upload_2019-4-26_14-11-21.png

People of nefarious intents can of course find information about propellant formulation in other areas, but the decision was made by forum administration that it won't be here. Yep, advanced section still exists. Have to scroll beyond the Watering hole
View attachment 381057
Research forum does NOT show up in my browser.

Have to scroll beyond the Watering hole
Can you try not being a smart *** and contrarian in your responses to me for a change?

Screen shot:

33829990738_64576e4d2d_c.jpg

Last edited:
Research forum does NOT show up in my browser.

Can you try not being a smart *** and contrarian in your responses to me for a change?

33829990738_64576e4d2d_c.jpg

Noted. I haven't seen what it looks like without access on the new forum so I stand corrected.

As for my responses, they are not intended to be contrary or malicious to you or anyone else. If you take them to be so, you have my apologies. Not everyone takes forum banter the same and I will attempt to account for this

Russian STEM video gave me leads to Russian motor info:

Having seen many of them blow up, I can attest that large Euro modroc motors are terrible.

At lower impulse levels (A-C) Euro motors are great, but once they get much larger there is a high possibility of them going "boom."

James

Having seen many of them blow up, I can attest that large Euro modroc motors are terrible.

At lower impulse levels (A-C) Euro motors are great, but once they get much larger there is a high possibility of them going "boom."

James

Back in the 1970's, larger European motors were nicknamed "Widowmakers" . . . Guess why ? B-O-O-M !

Dave F.

You need L2 for TRA research activities but only L1, adult and US citizen for the hidden forum here.

I stand corrected . . . I only thought in terms of being able to legally participate in Research motor-making, not just reading about it.

(1) You can read about Research motors, on this forum, if you are 18 or older, L1 minimum, and a US citizen.

(2) You can actually use the data, on this forum, to make Research motors, if you are 18 or older, L2 or higher, and a US Citizen.

When I obtained access to the Research area, this is the information I was asked to provide . . .

QUOTE :

This is what we need:
  1. Your fullname:
  2. Your TRF username:
  3. Your email address (associated with your TRF account):
  4. Are you a US citizen (required),
  5. You must also attach a scan or picture of your current TRA Membership card, that shows HPR certification. A picture of the card taken with a digital camera or phone is fine, as long as the card image is legible.
I will grant you access within 5 days one you provide the above information. It is usually within in 1-2 days unless I am on a lunch weekend.

END QUOTE :

BTW - They didn't ask for any proof of US Citizenship.

For the record, there are no, step by step, "How To Make A Rocket Motor" threads in the Research area.

So, if you are looking for tutorials, etc., you will not find that kind of information there.

Frankly, I was surprised at the lack of specific information in the Research area, given all the requirements to gain access.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected . . . I only thought in terms of being able to legally participate in Research motor-making, not just reading about it.

(1) You can read about Research motors, on this forum, if you are 18 or older, L1 minimum, and a US citizen.

(2) You can actually use the data, on this forum, to make Research motors, if you are 18 or older, L2 or higher, and a US Citizen.

When I obtained access to the Research area, this is the information I was asked to provide . . .

QUOTE :

This is what we need:
  1. Your fullname:
  2. Your TRF username:
  3. Your email address (associated with your TRF account):
  4. Are you a US citizen (required),
  5. You must also attach a scan or picture of your current NAR or TRA Membership card, that shows HPR certification. A picture of the card taken with a digital camera or phone is fine, as long as the card image is legible.
I will grant you access within 5 days one you provide the above information. It is usually within in 1-2 days unless I am on a lunch weekend.

END QUOTE :

BTW - They didn't ask for any proof of US Citizenship.

For the record, there are no, step by step, "How To Make A Rocket Motor" threads in the Research area.

So, if you are looking for tutorials, etc., you will not find that kind of information there.

Frankly, I was surprised at the lack of specific information in the Research area, given all the requirements to gain access.
Read enough of that info though, and with proper safety proceedures and a willingness to destroy enough hardware along the way and everything you need to make a useable APCP or "sugar" motor is there ( sugar is in quotes because there are several different sugars useable).

Read enough of that info though, and with proper safety proceedures and a willingness to destroy enough hardware along the way and everything you need to make a useable APCP or "sugar" motor is there ( sugar is in quotes because there are several different sugars useable).

Would the Research Forum allow a 100%, "cradle to grave", APCP motor-making tutorial thread, including a "shopping list" of all materials ( in advance ), coupled with detailed "follow-along", step by step, instructions / video's, culminating in a flyable APCP motor of known propellant formulation and performance specs? ( Whew - That was a long sentence - LOL ! )

Dave F.

Would the Research Forum allow a 100%, "cradle to grave", APCP motor-making tutorial thread, including a "shopping list" of all materials ( in advance ), coupled with detailed "follow-along", step by step, instructions / video's, culminating in a flyable APCP motor of known propellant formulation and performance specs? ( Whew - That was a long sentence - LOL ! )

Dave F.
If you read enough......

Honestly, the research forum is more about discussing issues in research motor design/making and drawing on the collective knowledge of very experienced motor makers. For a tutorial almost all the guys over in the research forum recommend getting a mentor and reading Professer McCreary's book (prfesser here on TRF), there is just too much information to put in even a series of tutorial threads, there would be entire threads on hardware, chemicals, SAFETY, processing, etc. Hence the recommendation to find a mentor (and there are quite a few willing when approached politely).

It's not about legality. It's NAR and TRA rules that apply to launching at NAR or TRA sanctioned events, but it's not about law.

You can make research motors and fly them on your own without any certification, as long as you're not violating anything like explosives laws, fire codes, FAA regulations, etc. And if you are violating any of those things then L2 certification won't help you.

There was an article 10-15 years ago in Sport Rocketry about the history of the Enerjet D21 motor.
OK, I'll bite. I have not seen that issue.

How Many Enerjet D21 motors were produced?
How many Enerjet D21 motors were sold?
What is good 2019 collector value for an Enerjet D21?
Why didn't Centuri just redesign the motor using a fiberglass case?

It's not about legality. It's NAR and TRA rules that apply to launching at NAR or TRA sanctioned events, but it's not about law.

Then, why ask about citizenship ?

According to Tripoli :

"Tripoli is an international organization, with prefectures worldwide. At TRA launches in the US, you may meet some of our members from Canada, Australia, the U.K., Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, and many more."

Then, why ask about citizenship ?

According to Tripoli :

"Tripoli is an international organization, with prefectures worldwide. At TRA launches in the US, you may meet some of our members from Canada, Australia, the U.K., Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, and many more."

You’re mixing apples and goldfish.
Tripoli provides a safety code and a place to launch to Tripoli members who follow Tripoli rules. We don’t teach research motor making although some of our members do.

TRF is a completely separate business, with no connection to Tripoli, which tries to follow ITAR rules with regard to making rocket motors. It requires Tripoli or NAR credentials as verification of certification and maybe residential information, which is their prerogative. ITAR is probably the legality issue, not certification with NAR or Tripoli.

You’re mixing apples and goldfish.
Tripoli provides a safety code and a place to launch to Tripoli members who follow Tripoli rules. We don’t teach research motor making although some of our members do.

TRF is a completely separate business, with no connection to Tripoli, which tries to follow ITAR rules with regard to making rocket motors. It requires Tripoli or NAR credentials as verification of certification and maybe residential information, which is their prerogative. ITAR is probably the legality issue, not certification with NAR or Tripoli.

Thanks, Steve.

Back