Russian Hercules PMC: need paint scheme

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by wscarvie, Oct 10, 2003.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 10, 2003 #1

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

Hi all,

I'm considering a PMC of the STC Start 1/288 Russian Hercules rocket model.

This will really be a simple PMC. The interior diameter of the components that make up the main rocket body fit a 20/50 centering ring almost exactly. Just take off the outermost (green, for Estes) layer of the ring and it fits perfectly, allowing you to center a BT-20 tube right up the middle of the rocket. The nose fits onto the main body components fairly snugly. Perfect for holding it on during boost and popping off at ejection. The hardest part, I think, will be cutting a BT-20 diameter hole in the piece at the bottom of the rocket. Each of the six side tanks is in two pieces, the joint lining up so that I'll be able to add thin clear plastic fins between the halves and have them point straight out from the rocket. Just a little filing to open a wide enough slot prior to assembly and that's it.

I'm looking for accurate paint color information, and can't find anything on the web. Does anyone know if Alway's "Rockets of the World" books cover this rocket and, if so, which volume and whether they cover paint colors?

If all else fails, I'll just go with colors as close to those on the box cover as I can, but that picture is pretty clearly a painting or computer image...an "artist's impression" of the rocket.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Oct 11, 2003 #2

Stymye

Stymye

Stymye

3. Oct 11, 2003 #3

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

Thanks!

$50 is, certainly, a bit more than I want to spend on one rocket. Also, I'm not _sure_ this rocket would be covered. The rocket is an extended Energia, which carried the Buran, so it's possible that it's on that CD. Of course, I could drop the vendor an email...

If anyone does have these CDs and wouldn't mind looking up the paint specs, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks again.

4. Oct 11, 2003 #4

Justy

Justy

Justy

It's almost a shame not to make that rocket a cluster. If the central tube is almost BT-50, are the boosters approx. BT-20? You could center a BT-5 in each of them and throw 1/2A-4T motors in, just for a little extra flame. Plug the tubes, the 1/2A's will pop out on ejection without messing up the coast phase too much.

Where'd you find that model? Now I'd like to try that. :) I love the Energia, I'd thought they only built two of them and I've never heard of an extended version.

5. Oct 11, 2003 #5

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

Hi Justy,

A great idea, except...the boosters outside diameter is almost exactly 13mm. There's no way to fit a 13mm motor inside the boosters, I'm afraid. MicroMaxx could absolutely be made to fit, but not 13mm.

Now, do I feel like trying to learn to cluster six MicroMaxx motors (and an 18mm motor) to fly this bird? Afraid I'm not up to that yet...I only just placed my order for MicroMaxx-sized tubes from Totally Tubular and haven't flown ANY MM rockets yet :)

But, if anyone else wanted to try it, it's certainly possible.

Finally, you can get the STC models from all sorts of on-line model supply houses. Squadron Mail Order has them. Do a Search, and select "Start from Russia" (NOT "Start Models from Russia"...go figure) as the manufacturer. They make a LOT of Russian rocket models. At least four flavors of Energia, four of Proton, the MAKS system, Hercules, Vulcan. They run between $10 and $13.

All of the Energia-based models (which includes the Hercules), use the same model components. So, they all will be easy to convert to 18mm using the 18/24 centering rings.

Also, I have an extra Energia-GTC if you're interested. Got two in a lot from eBay. If you want, you can have it for $6 plus postage. I'll throw in a seperate Buran orbiter kit for free...I got SIX of those in the lot and only need two. They're the same scale as the Energia...in fact they're the same parts as in the Energia-Buran model.

Hope this helps.