Russia pulling out of ISS after 2024

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone keeps asking if the Russians are going to re-claim their modules. The thing is, their modules are already past their intended lifespan. They are leaky and problematic as it is. The entire ISS ether needs to be de-orbited, or refurbished entirely. A solution would be for a private entity, one that intends to do tourism in space, to start building new modules, and slowly start replacing the older, used-up modules. Consider that Musk was willing to buy *twitter* for $44 Billion. For that same money, you could buy the ISS outright and turn it into a space hotel.

This run down hotel needs about another $50 Billion in maintenance though. You need to replace modules and you need to boost it every so often. *If* SLS or Starship could ever get off the pad, we have enough heavy lift capability to do both of these things. There's also Neutron coming, but that could not lift a rigid module, but it could lift those inflatable modules they keep talking about.

I think it would be interesting to have a Russian Space Station, a Chinese one and an American one -- because apparently, as we have seen before, tribal competition appears to be a good thing. For example, Congress right now, is very hesitant to spend more than a few dimes to get us back to the moon. But if there were ample evidence that the Chinese were a couple of years away from a manned landing there, politicians would be falling over themselves to make sure we got back there first.
I'm pretty sure that @Antares JS 's point above is that the ISS modules were never meant to be taken apart, so replacing modules would be extremely difficult. Perhaps not impossible, but you'd have to take a hard look at cost-benefit ratios vs. building a new station from scratch.

Well the ISS was the only reason I did not totally fear, and hate the Russians. I am now back to.my cold war mentality . And guys , yes it is 22 years old, time to think about it's decommissioning.

Russia's latest module - "Nauka" is barely a year old. That would be a great start to a new russian space station. I would not put it past them to yank that module off the ISS.

The other russian components are past their lifetimes, leaking, outdated, and have holes drilled in them! LOL ok, that was a crew module, but still - their stuff is junk - don't even buy it!

Russian modules also follow the standard/pattern set by Mir and have electrical systems with a floating ground rather than a dedicated ground plane. That regularly gave NASA engineers fits in designing and debugging.

Back