Running out of gateways to the hobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. Kids magazines? The local library? Those seemed old fashioned when I was a kid, and I'm almost 30! By middle school I was getting the majority of my news and information on the internet. Local niche shops? Amazon launched when I was 7.

Every time this topic comes up, it seems like a lot of folks are expecting the hobby to be exactly like it was when they were little, and when it's not, they assume it's a lost cause and we get a sad head shake about kids these days not appreciating hobbies and expecting instant gratification. But it isn't lost! "Different" isn't "wrong"! A lot of the old gateways might be closing, but that means you just need to find the new ones!

Kids too obsessed with computers? I got a bunch of kids at a local school interested in rockets by showing them OpenRocket and tying their interest in computer design to the gratification of turning that into a physical object. Showed them YouTube videos of big rockets (high power and full-scale launch vehicles) that would be impossible to see in person. Demonstrated electronics - showed how you can fly a tiny altimeter and get a neat graph of all your flight data, or program your own deployment controller or GPS tracker with an Arduino, or use a cheap keychain camera to get awesome flight images.

Hobby rocketry really took off when the space race was all the rage. It's starting to be a big deal again, so that helps, but tech is king now. So tying rockets (which lets face it are usually pretty low-tech for beginners) with the information age can be very appealing. Even a slick web presence for your club can be a huge help - too many clubs have websites that look like they came from the GeoCities age. Rarely updated, no easy way to get pictures or video, dead links, etc. Any high power club that doesn't have a link to video of big rockets going off is missing out. One thing today's youth definitely are impatient about is information. They are bombarded with a firehose of easy info on any topic imaginable, and you have to stand out among that. We are a very visually appealing hobby - take advantage of that!

So the short answer is, if you want to grow, you need to adapt. Rather than try to force people to be interested in your version of the hobby, tie your hobby to things they are already interested in.

+1. This reply should be a sticky for every time this hand-wringing topic comes up.

Face it, old-school craftmanship hobbies needing balsa, glue, and paint are gone and never coming back. Model railroading? You gotta be kidding me - that was dated when I was a kid, and I am 50. The new version of hands-on hobbies are tailored to middle-aged men with money to burn. Gawd, just look at all the HPR motor choices and electronic gadgets available in rocketry!

The biggest threat to rocketry is the loss of launch sites - LPR to HPR. Haulin' your kid for 3 hour car ride to a club launch, just to put up an Alpha on an A8-3, can be a buzz kill.

As mentioned, the new craftmanship hobbies involve tech and electrons. My son couldn't care less about rockets and models. However, we built a computer together this winter.

Last edited:
Being in this hobby for 15+ yrs and and back in the 60s-70s, I see it differently.

Disappearing field space.
Rocketry requires a good amount of space for recovery compared to R/C fields and other sports.
Look around you for the past 30-50 yrs and the available space that has disappeared.
Consumed w/ 5-6 SoftBall or soccer fields.
Farm land being developed.
Compound that w/ a stubborn regional FAA official or fearful neighbors.

Media Propagandized Fear.
Mention the word rockets to most today and there is a different reaction than you would have got back in the 60s-90s.
Its "safer" inside your high security home, playing an app w/ your helmet and knee pads on.

Last edited:
Being in this hobby for 15+ yrs and and back in the 60s-70s, I see it differently.

Disappearing field space.
Rocketry requires a good amount of space for recovery compared to R/C fields and other sports.
Look around you for the past 30-50 yrs and the available space that has disappeared.
Consumed w/ 5-6 SoftBall or soccer fields.
Farm land being developed.
Compound that w/ a stubborn regional FAA official or fearful neighbors.

Media Propagandized Fear.
Mention the word rockets to most today and there is a different reaction than you would have got back in the 60s-90s.
Its "safer" inside your high security home, playing an app w/ your helmet and knee pads on.

All true.

My first rocket was launched from the middle of the street in my suburban neighborhood. Now, the poor guy in VA can't even use the schoolyard.

Two big-time HPR fields in the Midwest were lost last year. These were farm fields in the middle of NOWHERE, but the new owners were jumpy about "rockets."

Amazingly, I launch up to F motor rockets in my county park. The park rangers even stop and watch on occasion. A White Lightening motor is pretty loud and smokey in this space. I fully expect some Nervous Nellie walking their schnauzer to raise a fuss at some point, and that will be the end of it.

The weird thing to me is.... the only reaction I get here when rockets come up is middle aged dad's who think it's awesome, and everyone else thinks "science geek". I live in a state full of nervous nellies who regulate everything to death, and then tax it for dying. Rocketry has wide acceptance here in local parks, not so much that there's anything organized going on, but I've never had issue with launching on school or park grounds.

And as I type this.... my kids are watching PJ Masks on TV and the cartoons are building model rockets in school, lol.

I really don't think we have a public perception problem. I think we have a grumpy old man problem :p

As for HPR.... you're always going to have trouble trying to use someone else's land for free/low cost. That's just the nature of anything.

Exactly. Kids magazines? The local library? Those seemed old fashioned when I was a kid, and I'm almost 30! By middle school I was getting the majority of my news and information on the internet. Local niche shops? Amazon launched when I was 7.

Every time this topic comes up, it seems like a lot of folks are expecting the hobby to be exactly like it was when they were little, and when it's not, they assume it's a lost cause and we get a sad head shake about kids these days not appreciating hobbies and expecting instant gratification. But it isn't lost! "Different" isn't "wrong"! A lot of the old gateways might be closing, but that means you just need to find the new ones! . . . .So the short answer is, if you want to grow, you need to adapt. Rather than try to force people to be interested in your version of the hobby, tie your hobby to things they are already interested in.

On the contrary...I don't want to force anyone to do anything. But if we don't broaden our base of support, we risk being forced to stop practicing our hobby.

Some of you are clearly tired of this subject coming up...but frankly I would rather be wringing my hands now than shaking my fist later. Out club suffered a setback a couple of years ago...we were kicked out of the library where we held meetings because we no longer had a member from that community. It's been a bit difficult for us as our members are scattered through 4 or 5 counties. Without growth we are easily shoved aside.

On the contrary...I don't want to force anyone to do anything. But if we don't broaden our base of support, we risk being forced to stop practicing our hobby.

Some of you are clearly tired of this subject coming up...but frankly I would rather be wringing my hands now than shaking my fist later. Out club suffered a setback a couple of years ago...we were kicked out of the library where we held meetings because we no longer had a member from that community. It's been a bit difficult for us as our members are scattered through 4 or 5 counties. Without growth we are easily shoved aside.

Not having a member of the community has little to do with rocketry...

Not having a huge support base is not going to lead to us having to stop practicing our hobby. I'd argue that more people out there flying is going to lead to more incidents and more problems. Being small and unseen is GOOD for our hobby in this regard. I know we have less issues with our farm/ neighbors on a weekend with 5 guys launching, opposed to when we have 300 people over to visit.

Looking for new members is good.... but the doom and gloom and panic is just unneeded stress.

Interesting range of opinion here...I initially asked whether growth in the hobby was possible (and opinions and suggestions vary on this point).

But obviously that question presumes that growth is desirable (and at least a few people believe the answer is 'no') and necessary (some agree with me that the hobby is in decline, others wonder where I got that idea).

Thanks to all who have contributed so far. I would like to keep this thread going if others care to comment.

I believe that absentee fathers are a major factor in the decline of many hobby activities, and technology has become the primary teacher of children. Public education cannot replace parenting. This does not bode well for the future of anything, let alone hobbies.

[video=youtube;4uc9Oc8N9tc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uc9Oc8N9tc[/video]

I believe that absentee fathers are a major factor in the decline of many hobby activities, and technology has become the primary teacher of children. Public education cannot replace parenting. This does not bode well for the future of anything, let alone hobbies.

Soon to be a father of five, knowing many other fathers in the hobby of rocketry, and being a scout leader and knowing many fathers through that......

I can't disagree with this statement enough. Poor parenting is the exception, not the rule. You see one brat kid in a store, thats what you remember. The other 300 kids in the store you don't even notice. Don't let that one kid jade you into thinking all parents have given up.

Technology the primary teacher? Naw. It's a great tool sure. But like anything else, must be used properly. Video games a distraction? Absolutely. Parents use it these days much like parents in the 50's used bicycles and playgrounds.... And I'm not sure either is any better or worse than the other.

Being jaded and angry and laying blame doesn't solve anything. Do whatever you can to make your world better.

Back on topic- I do think rapid growth is dangerous. I do think being bigger and more visible can be bad,.... ask the RC crowd what quadcopters haven done. Lots of good....lots of bad. We've had great success in rocketry with making flights safer, and landing closer to "home" Better tracking and electronics....makes for less angry people. The problem I see right now is an attitude that recovery is optional. But thats a personal pet peeve, not something I see as "ending our hobby" I do think controlled growth is good. I'm on this forum and part of my reason is trying to find new people to fly with us. I love it when I come across someone new and see them at a launch.

A father can be present while at he same time being absent. He doesn't necessarily have to be incarcerated or otherwise estranged...just detached from his children. Working to excess and not having or taking the time to nurture his children is but one of many examples I could point to.

As for "being jaded and angry and laying blame", how did you arrive at that conclusion? My observation was in response to the question posed by the OP. No need to berate me, Dave

A father can be present while at he same time being absent. He doesn't necessarily have to be incarcerated or otherwise estranged...just detached from his children. Working to excess and not having or taking the time to nurture his children is but one of many examples I could point to.

As for "being jaded and angry and laying blame", how did you arrive at that conclusion? My observation was in response to the question posed by the OP. No need to berate me, Dave

I understand what you meant by absentee. I arrived at that conclusion by your condemnation of an entire generation as the reason for decline in hobbies. Hobbies come and go. Have for centuries.

Not berating, just observing. Statements like "This does not bode well for the future of anything" points directly to being jaded and angry, so not really berating or accusing you of anything, simply observing.

I'm not saying absenteeism isn't a problem.... but it's not so prevalent that it's killing hobbies.

Last edited:
Back